Will a Skoda do the job as a caravan tow car?

Hello all, I'm new here & have been directed to seek owner feedback from a member of a caravan based forum, thanks to them!

So a bit of advice (& clarification) is sought regarding tow limits, recommendations & outfit matching!

I’ve got to replace my current car, because its tow limit is way too small, for something vastly better. I’ve been offered a 63 plate Skoda Superb diesel estate 2. 0 Tdi Cr Elegance 5dr for an attractive price from a reliable source with a fully known vehicle history. I’ve known the vehicle since new! So I’m really tempted, especially as its towing praises have been sung by PC on multiple occasions!

I’ve yet to buy a van, but have settled on a 4 berth, front lounge with facing settees, end washroom, mid diner layout  from around the 2010-2012 era (as this fits budget) & looking at various  van MTPLM stats, find my choice weight wise, ranges from between 1280kg – just below 1600kg.

Now I hit my quandary, I’ve towed before & was once caught out by snaking, yep learned the hard & frightening way not to drive too fast when towing & so will be setting the speed limiter (just in case!) in future.

Now to the Skoda its’ got a kerb weight of 1501 allowing 75kg extra for driver, but has a manufacturers max braked tow weight allowance of up to 1800 kg. So some vans might ‘slightly’ exceed the 85% (1271kg) best practice recommendation, but would be well below the 1800 kg max. Reading a Practical Caravan tow car report for this vehicle it contained the statement that the vehicles a bit on the light side but was found to be steady, reliable & safe when towing a van that was above the 85% figure. Now I’m keen on the Skoda, hence this submission for some experienced drivers’ wisdom. Will it make a safe tow car with a van of say 1550kg?  I’ve  also thought that of course I could load some of the van payload into the Skoda when towing to ease the situation, thus beefing it’s weight up.

So please if you can offer some good guidance I’m really open to & hoping for some fact based support!! So in advance thanks for helping me out, regards Dave W.

DaveIV.....TerryMcK is saying that a 63 plate Superb is a MkII, not a MkIII. You will probably find a mine of information on towing with the MkII in the MkII section which has been running for a long time. The MkII won all sorts of towing awards, but beyond that "I know nothing" as I've never towed anything in nearly 50 years of driving.

Hi Dave,

We have been caravanning for 15+ years, both around the UK and in France and Spain. We currently tow with a 16 plate Superb SLE Estate 190 manual. For the previous 5 years I had a 2010 Superb II estate 170. They have both been excellent tow-cars. There is plenty of power and torque when you need it and it is extremely stable even in some vigorous side winds.

As you are aware, there can be some confusion about ‘kerbweights’ with Skodas. The brochure quotes a kerbweight without a driver, whereas the owners manual quotes an ‘operating weight’, which includes 75 kg for the driver. (The two do tally.). The latter operating weight including a driver should be used as the ‘kerbweight’ for matching purposes.

With the 170 we towed a Coachman Pastiche 460/2, which had a MPTLM of 1420kg, which was a 92% match. I never had any indication of instability (and I tend to tow fairly briskly). I suspect that the Superbs are particularly stable towcars, which has contributed to them winning towcar awards on several occasions. Thus it is probably safe to exceed the 85% recommendation by a margin.

If you want further checks and reassurance you can enter the details of the car and your proposed caravan(s) into matching information on whattowcar.com or on the Caravan and Motorhome Club website. The latter is available for club members only.

Welcome to caravanning with a Superb.

Cheers

Paul R T

Thanks so much for the replies all to date, as always I'm most grateful for this valued info. Paul RT I'm especially reinforced by & yep you've all contributed to me shortly becoming a proud Skoda driver. Just now about to close the deal on what's been a company pool vehicle that I've driven on many occasions & that's been kept up 100% in line with good ownership. Early December, just in time for my new pressy! I'll be taking the car over............Only got to get a van now!

Once again thanks!