Near death experience - electric tailgate

We had a bit of a heart thumping couple of minutes today. All down to human error rather than the car, ultimately, of course; but nonetheless I hate the stupid feature even more now. We'd taken our girls (aged 2 and 1) to the local safari park again today. Usually we let the 2 year old free roam the rear (she's sensible and holds on, plus we don't generally exceed 10mph with frequent stops), and the 1 year old sits on my wife's knee. Usually, at a suitably safe place away from other traffic and animal areas (it's always dead on wintry days like today), I  tend to let my 2 year old sit on my lap and 'drive' the car for a straight or two (with help from me, obviously). It's a fond memory of my own youth, and helped shape me into the car/driving/petrol head I am today.

No bother, right? Well no. Not until we saw the next 'section' (gated area) approaching signifying another group of loose animals. Right little one, back in the rear you go. No problems... until our 1 year old decided now would be a completely hysterical time to press the remote boot release as she tried to stop her sister moving into the rear compartment. The familiar 'beep, beep, beep' made my wife's and my blood run cold instantly. One thing you never, ever do in the safari park is open your vehicle or open your windows. Except today. A hasty glance to the horizon in every direction confirmed nothing nearby (it had started to drizzle so the animals had thankfully taken shelter). Can you press the button a second time to close the boot from the comfort and safety of your cabin? Don't be daft... So out I go, like a stabbed rat up a greasy drainpipe. Boot close button hit and back in the front of the car in just about the same movement haha. :D Suffice to say the kids were strapped in the back after that, especially as the lions enclosure was up next. 

Lesson learnt, and as I said ultimately human error founded on a mild gamble in a 'safe' section of the park (herbivore area). I really did wish Skoda allowed the tailgate to close again, at that moment though. Never. Again. :devil: On the plus side the kids thought it was hysterical and no harm done. At least it didn't happen in the lions' enclosure! Overall another nice little day out for them... and new undercrackers for me haha.

• Haha 1

Whoops! There is of course a speed limit for that button to work. Is it zero, or just very slow? Of course you can have it modified to close from the button but then the next problem will be that whilst you are doing that (not in a safari park) one of the kids will think it a great moment to get half way out of / in to the boot!

Great description, and from the comfortable position of hindsight it makes for a funny tale. Not at all funny at the time I can imagine though!

I love and loathe the electric tailgate in equal measure. My wishlist would be more sensitive obstruction sensors (on mine at least) and full open/close functionality from the interior button and keyfob in all vehicles, regardless of whether Kessy is fitted.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, silver1011 said:

Being able to open the boot via the internal button but not being able to close it in the same way does sound a bit daft?

It's a safety thing. If you're not behind the car then you have no idea if it's safe to close. And close it will. Have you tried physically stopping it.... I have and failed. I think it would chop off an arm if in the way! 

But a press of the boot button again or on the key fob stops it. KESSY allows for closure because it knows you are nearby with a key. The remote fob would work a few hundred meters away. Could be lethal if it allowed closure by default.

Edited by rtj70

6 minutes ago, rtj70 said:

It's a safety thing. If you're not behind the car then you have no idea if it's safe to close. And close it will. Have you tried physically stopping it.... I have and failed. I think it would chop off an arm if in the way! 

But a press of the boot button again or on the key fob stops it. KESSY allows for closure because it knows you are nearby with a key. The remote fob would work a few hundred meters away. Could be lethal if it allowed closure by default.

I have, a few times, and it stopped easily. It's got a sensor built in to stop exactly the kind of accident you describe. It takes more than light pressure, but as soon as you resist it that's it - it freezes. That, combined with the beeping alert, should be more than ample to allow safe remote closure. After all, someone would have to be literally hanging half way into your boot AND ignore the fact the roof is closing in, AND not hear the beep to get caught... at which point the sensor would halt the closure anyway.

Rather that than end up with a lion in the cabin. :ph34r:

28 minutes ago, Rainmaker said:

I have, a few times, and it stopped easily. It's got a sensor built in to stop exactly the kind of accident

It's not at all sensitive on mine. I've grabbed the hatch to physically stop it and it does not stop. Not tried putting anything in the way as it finally closes... maybe will try something expendable.

It's not different to some other cars... e.g. Tesla Model X gull-wing doors.

5 minutes ago, rtj70 said:

It's not at all sensitive on mine. I've grabbed the hatch to physically stop it and it does not stop. Not tried putting anything in the way as it finally closes... maybe will try something expendable.

Strange, as I can manage it as I said. Maybe I have an especially strong right arm. :D

The tailgate on mine seems to be suitably sensitive but I have never understood why, if Skoda produce a remotely openable tailgate they do not make it remotely closable as well.

@Rainmaker, perhaps this is a story to be sent to someone important at Skoda, VW, anyone who will listen?  There are important safety issues here, both in the sensitivity of the closure, in some cases anyway, and the ability to close the tailgate quickly and remotely in an emergency.

Had an electric tailgate on  a 2004 Honda Accord.  Opened and closed from a button in the car, button on the tailgate or the fob.  An obstruction either way stopped it (motor current sensing?)

Not difficult, it just seems that Skoda want to make money out of the full features.

I suppose the safest thing is to take the fuse out before going into a safari park.

That is a funny story and potentially horrendous story in equal measure. I agree that Skoda may have had good intentions on making that button only open and not close (just in case somebody was stood underneath it when it closes). But I would much rather have it close as well rather than a big cat or ape climb into the car! It might even be good to disable the open button when the doors are locked too.

I think If I ever go to a safari park I will put coin over the button and gaffer tape it into place then disable the convenience opening for the virtual pedal.

10 hours ago, rtj70 said:

Mine takes a huge amount of pressure to stop it too. Previous feedback on the forum suggests that it's much more sensitive on some people's cars - I'd decided to get mine looked at the next time it's at the dealership in case there's a sensor fault.

10 minutes ago, facet edge said:

That was an interesting observation about the virtual pedal. What's to stop a lion wandering under the back of the car.......

I would hope the virtual pedal only works when the key is near the boot of the car. If it's in the car or near the front doors I'd hope the various sensors for this (short range) do not allow the boot to be opened in this way.

I tried mine out earlier for sensitivity. For the first part of movement it's sensitive and will stop moving. Once it gets down to about half way even with a lot of force it would not stop. But that is when it's going to do some serious harm if someone was in the way.

2 hours ago, rtj70 said:

I would hope the virtual pedal only works when the key is near the boot of the car. If it's in the car or near the front doors I'd hope the various sensors for this (short range) do not allow the boot to be opened in this way.

I tried mine out earlier for sensitivity. For the first part of movement it's sensitive and will stop moving. Once it gets down to about half way even with a lot of force it would not stop. But that is when it's going to do some serious harm if someone was in the way.

That does make sense otherwise there would be nothing stopping any anyone passing opening the boot.

My tailgate needs a lot of force to stop it as well. I once said to a friend just try and stop the lid closing and he put his arm in the opening just above the strut. I pulled it out because I wasn't sure what was going to happen to his arm!

15 hours ago, rtj70 said:

It ought to take very little pressure on the mechanism to stop it... That is not the case. I find it useful and handy but know it could be dangerous.

Exactly - they should by rights have a similar sensor system to normal windows, which do stop when they sense an obstruction. That was introduced not long after electric windows were introduced after a few fatalities from heads getting stuck in a closing window. It usually works (as said) on the current draw from the motor, if it hits and obstruction, the current required spikes and the motor stops or the thermal fuse trips. May be worth a trip to the dealer to clarify it?

20 hours ago, rtj70 said:

It's a safety thing. If you're not behind the car then you have no idea if it's safe to close. And close it will.

Hmm, using that train of though then you wouldn't know it was safe to open either?

Seems strange that some cars detect an obstruction with different levels of force. If the safety mechanism worked as Skoda intended then being able to close the boot using the internal button should be fine.

The same mechanism is used on other VW group cars including Porsche.

The mechanism is sensitive at the start of the close process but then when lower down it seems very difficult (impossible?) to stop.