Near death experience - electric tailgate

3 hours ago, rtj70 said:

The mechanism is sensitive at the start of the close process but then when lower down it seems very difficult (impossible?) to stop. 

Wouldn't you think if it was going to be variable it should be the other way around? So it gets more sensitive the lower it gets? Nuts.

• Like 1

If it was variable then I'd agree that it needs to be more sensitive at the bottom end of the travel. My car (And the demo I had a for a week in April) are the same. Without pressing the key fob button I can't see a way of stopping. As it gets closer to closing I will not want to try pressing the button on the hatchback itself for fear of trapping a hand.

Might try a carrot like they did on the Tesla Model X rear door video I once watched. 

On 23/11/2017 at 15:06, Rainmaker said:

A hasty glance to the horizon in every direction confirmed nothing nearby (it had started to drizzle so the animals had thankfully taken shelter). 

Or maybe they saw the 2 year old was driving :tongueout:

In all seriousness though, maybe Skoda could put a delay on the switch, meaning it requires a longer press before activating, even a primary and secondary beep to prevent unintentional operation though the front cabin is never going to be child proof!

The force to stop the boot will change, as the boot closes and pivots on a point the weight (on the pivot point) increases. While under the circumstances above I can understand why the option to close with the button makes sense but under normal circumstances, the ability to close the boot with the bottom poses more of a safety concern in normal day to day life than someone reaching up and pushing the boot button.

Edited by MaddicIrl

Another reason why it's a bad idea to be able to open the boot from the driver's seat...

a friend of mine was waiting at a red traffic light recently and a car pulled up next to him. The boot on the other car opened and the front seat passenger got out in order to close it. Having closed the boot, the driver then sped off, leaving the passenger standing in the road. 

It transpired that the car was on a test drive. My friend didn't know what car it was, but given the location, it had probably come from the local Mercedes dealer. 

• Haha 2

On 24/11/2017 at 09:56, daveo138 said:

DVSA for instance? (Formerly VOSA). 

It’s the same on most European cars with automatic tailgates.  I know you can programme it to also close on BMWs - though a Dealer will not do it for “Safety Reasons”.  Can VCDS change the behaviour of the switch?

4 hours ago, FelisBengalensis said:

It’s the same on most European cars with automatic tailgates.  I know you can programme it to also close on BMWs - though a Dealer will not do it for “Safety Reasons”.  Can VCDS change the behaviour of the switch?

On my 3-series the boot release button inside car was tucked away under dash so couldn't be pushed accidentally.  The key also allowed shutting if you push and hold the boot release button and held it till boot was closed.  Reports on bimmer forum I was on that people were releasing boot by sitting on the key whilst driving, so bought a little case to put it in so didn't happen to me.  Really don't understand why Skoda can't have the same functionality.  If closing boot from key fob and something gets in way all you need to do is let go of the button and boot stops closing...

• Like 1

Hiya 

So I've just tested this as well you can't even use the key fob to long press on the boot button if the key is in the car. (KESSY on mine).... As soon as you step out the car it will then close. 

But its dumb technology and can be tricked. 

If I stick my arm out of the window and hold the key past the center B pillar it will then close whilst sitting in the car.... 

A workaround at least... Lol... 

Boot sensors are stupid... My MK2s was faultless and stopped in every position with a feather light touch. 

Mk3 requires a lot of pressure to stop it unless the boot is nearly closed then, a feather light touch is all it needs.

Very strange setup... 

Edited by Zenbasses

1 hour ago, Zenbasses said:

If I stick my arm out of the window and hold the key past the center B pillar it will then close whilst sitting in the car.... 

:Boot sensors are stupid...

The car uses multiple sensors to detect the key so it knows if the key is near or even in the car. If you were to exit the vehicle with the engine running with the key fob on you, it would probably let you know. That's what the Mazda system does.

My guess of how it works out where you are with the key is there's at least three sensors - either side of car and near the boot. Triangulate the signals and you can work out if the key fob is in the car.

5 hours ago, Zenbasses said:

That's OK if the lion is on the other side of the car :dull:

• Like 1

Could someone not have got into the boot (fold down a seat) and pressed the button?

For safari trips maybe set the boot to only open low down... just like you would in a restricted height car park.

Edited by rtj70

• 2 weeks later...

I’m a real sad sack and I’m sure that this point will get sorted eventually but I’m astounded that no-one has mentioned the young kiddiewinkies running around unsecured in a moving vehicle and wandering about the cabin between the front and the back.  Of course it’s important from a health and safety point of view that we should all know how to drive safely but two years old may be stretching it a bit.  I expect daddy will be on here to tell me to get a sense of humour but let me point out to him that emergency braking could be required even in a safari park after all those lovely little furry creatures could, possibly run out in front of his car.  I’m with pee81 I cannot imagine any circumstances where I’d take my pride and joy into a safari park let’s face it the monkeys, goats, zebra and camels are always all over the car and they are another reason why emergency braking could be required at any time even when the kiddiewinkies are (illegally) running around in the car.  Long rant but I’m sure that if there had been an accident daddy would have said “Oh I didn’t mean for that to happen”.

Edited by rafmike
  • Haha 1