Reversing lights LED Upgrading

Have an SE-L  spec car with LED reversing lights but discovered on the weekend that they are so weak!!!!

Tried to reverse back along a single country track at 11pm as meet a lorry (so only i could go back) and found the first time i needed to see where i was going and they were rubbish. ( Had to keep getting out to see the ditch with the use of the lorries high beam on the straights but no good going around bends backwards!!!).  Fitted Cree reversing bulbs in the old yeti and could see going backwards very well.

So is there any way of fitting cree bulbs or higher power LED bulbs?

Any links welcome.

Also are there any other bulbs on the kodiaq that members have upgraded or replaced? Fogs!!

The LED's will be integral to the light cluster, it'll be unlikely you'll be able to replace or upgrade them without cutting and soldering. I'd also imagine the clusters will be sealed, the LED's are meant to outlast the car so it probably isn't even possible to gain entry to the cluster?

Unfortunately modern reverse lights aren't designed to light the way, they are purely to signal to other people your intention to go backwards.

To improve visibility turn all rear lights on i.e. fogs and hazard lights. Not ideal but they should offer a slight improvement.

You can see from this video that of the three 'inner' LED's on the boot-lid only one of them is assigned to the reverse light function, little wonder they don't light up much behind you!

Is it possible to code with vcds to increase brightness of reversing lights or turn more leds on or any enhancing with coding or any other light that can be turned on with reversing light or is the answer as the 1950s ring spot light the way backwards with technology to see where I am going as the muni reply.  Or is it the superskoda dome boot light and drive with the tailgate open......

• 1 month later...
On 03/01/2018 at 19:12, superb-ki said:

Appears models for china market have additional rear reversing lights in bumper trim below the TSI 380 4x4 Badge between the bumper reflectors?

Wonder if the trim can be purchased and fitted to uk spec cars?

image.png.9df53371c0c3ddb112bb5ce74272bb0a.png

Would be good if you could get them here.

However not sure which would be cheaper supplied and fitted - camera or these?

Good spot, I've just been on the skoda.cn website and they are indeed additional LED reverse lights.

Clearly the Chinese also viewed the European reverse light set-up as wholly inadequate!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question, 

The other night I noticed that my wife's Kodiaq SE only has reversing lights on the drivers side.

I haven't had a chance to look at the passenger side (NS) because it has been dark, but should it have reversing lights on both sides of the car?

My wife has commented before that it's got crap rear illumination - I've always replied that's why Skoda offer a rear camera.

But with hindsight one reversing light isn't very good.

I notice the video clip above show a pair of reversing lights (#Silver1011)

I've spoken to our local Skoda dealer, and they have confirmed that they only have Off Side reversing lights in the UK - is this true?????

They said that the photo with lights on both side are probably European spec cars - If true why change for UK spec??????

Edited by jerrybean

4 hours ago, jerrybean said:

I've spoken to our local Skoda dealer, and they have confirmed that they only have Off Side reversing lights in the UK - is this true?????

They said that the photo with lights on both side are probably European spec cars - If true why change for UK spec??????

Perhaps it depends on the trim level.  My SEL (with "high function" LED rear lamps, whatever that means) has reversing lamps on both sides. Two “cells” of the rear lights light up white at each side.

If only one side lights up for reversing, on most cars it's the nearside. I can confirm that, even with "high function", only one side has the rear fog light - and that is the offside.  I wonder if your dealer is confusing the two?

6 minutes ago, DaveMiller said:

Perhaps it depends on the trim level.  My SEL (with "high function" LED rear lamps, whatever that means) has reversing lamps on both sides. Two “cells” of the rear lights light up white at each side.

If only one side lights up for reversing, on most cars it's the nearside. I can confirm that, even with "high function", only one side has the rear fog light - and that is the offside.  I wonder if your dealer is confusing the two?

Thanks,

I'll have a good look tomorrow in the day light.

Some pictures would be great too if you get the chance.

The 'S' and 'SE' models get what Skoda refer to as the 'low functionality' rear lights which I believe are made up as follows:

Tail lights - LED

Brake lights - LED

Fog Light - LED

Reverse Light - LED

Indicator - non-LED

This is what they look like, you can see the regular incandescent indicator bulb behind the integral chrome strip on the main (not boot lid mounted) cluster...

For-Skoda-kodiaq-2016-2017-2018-ABS-Styling-Car-Rear-Fog-Light-Lamp-Fog-Light-Protective.thumb.jpg.b40112ef277e59d6cd8e4ddde3029290.jpg

All other specs (SE L, Edition, Scout, Sportline etc.)  get the 'High Functionality' rear lights...

Tail lights - LED

Brake lights - LED

Fog Light - LED

Reverse Light - LED

Indicator - LED

All models though should have twin rear LED reverse lights, although they are pretty poor in terms of light output (1x LED on each side).

(Incidentally you can see above the additional factory fitted LED reverse lights in the honeycombe section found on the Chinese Kodiaq).

Here are some images of the reverse light set-up you should see on all UK models...

5a64abe108c09_SkodaKodiaqLEDReverseLight(1).thumb.jpg.388498650b27d63c7ca379c2f5a28b5f.jpg

5a64abe70e51b_SkodaKodiaqLEDReverseLight(2).thumb.jpg.513a94235a55c8c4b9dc5523f88cbe27.jpg

And the single rear fog light... (note this is a mainland Europe (left-hand drive) model in the pictures so the single fog light is on the left, on UK models it would of course be on the right (offside)...

5a64ac2f42ff2_SkodaKodiaqLEDFogLight(1).thumb.jpg.0e80b96a5b81a21ec0c3b7a9cc5d55ac.jpg

5a64ac3a206e0_SkodaKodiaqLEDFogLight(2).thumb.jpg.a77b3f428e64a97a73d7c7acf8f8f4ef.jpg

Had a look today, and both Lhs & Rhs led units look the same, although only the drivers side illuminate when you select reverse. 

Looks like it will be a trip back to the dealership. 

Does it only have rear fog lights on drivers side as well? 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Had the pleasure of watching a Kodiaq reverse today, it was either an S or SE i.e. incandescent rear indicator bulbs.

As in the picture above it had an LED reversing light, but only on one side. Nothing unusual in this, a lot of cars have a single reverse light, usually on the opposite side to a single fog light.

The issue with this Kodiaq is that the single LED reverse light was on the offside (drivers side), where on UK cars you'd expect to see the fog light.

As a result is just looked wrong, as though one reversing light had failed.

Interestingly, in the video in the 3rd post, that Kodiaq (high functionality rear lights) has reverse lights on both sides.

Seems wierd. Skoda, in an effort to justify the high functionality upgrade, have made a real mess of the low functionality set-up.

Edited by silver1011

23 minutes ago, WiggosSideburns said:

You need to get out more... :tongueout:

Are you sure about that? He got out today and took pictures up A Bears butt...!

• Like 1

Pleased to note that the 'High Functionality' LED rear lights (SE L, Edition, Scout & SportLine) have symmetrical reverse lights, i.e. one LED on each side.

The 'Low Functionality' LED rear lights (S & SE) make do with one side, the wrong side (UK).

I also noticed that the S and SE don't get the fancy 'jewel' effects on the side flank, although I couldn't find a picture, this image shows the effect that's missing on the lower specs....

skoda_kodiaq_suv_35.jpg.97ac9bd1b8b7d99493eb6a013690aa86.jpg

• 6 months later...

Retrofitting additional reversing light - does anyone know if the wiring is in place on an SE to connect a nearside reversing light, I'm assuming  it's possible to buy a cluster with the led from skoda

• 2 years later...

Old thread but checked this on our new to us SE last night and sure enough one reverse light on the wrong side...

It's pretty bright but still...   Very cheapskate in trying to differentiate between models.

Checking online it looks like wiring plugs may be present so come darker weather I may be hitting eBay for a replacement LHS tailgate light!