Red Octavia VRS mk2

HarleQuinn

Hi everyone, 

so here is my new hobby and cash burner! Not much to report yet but I have some nice plans for the car so want to document it :)

So here it is at the dealers before it was mine...

1.png.0e0d4452088f7ec307415bab69369f50.png 3.png.cbdd93aefbe34850db4b7746ac0a53aa.png

All I have managed to do so far is have the rear windows tinted to smoke black. I have also polished the exhaust with autosol. 

Untitled-5.thumb.png.8ac231ea19e5b1bd9567b3f9f31fd208.png

I am due knee surgery on Friday that will keep my out of action with my own work onto the car but they alloys are being refurbed and sprayed to black in a couple of weeks. I will likely have a few questions in here about removal of parts to plast-dip too at some point :)

Edited by HarleQuinn

Started with some plasti-dip, was a bit too eager removing it too quickly and the finish isn't great upon closer inspection so I am going to treat this as a practice and apply again tomorrow. Also hoping the new style badge turns up so I can change it!

Pla.png.dd285584825bf43a71b13d8c6a3337e4.pngpla2.png.b7c980be6bb359922c5a83e7b18501dd.pngpla3.png.0ac9d321eaa32ca9429d818e84a0d79d.pngpla4.png.294581a72440c8a9b876f1a787bdee9b.pngpla5.png.45d43c887efbb050faf23fa514d62d0b.png

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, skinnyman said:

I've always wanted to have a go with Plastidip but  have yet to get around to it.  How easy do you find it to use?

Also, do you have permission to use the bathroom as a spray booth?:D

I like it, very easy to use. Ideally I would remove any parts before I spray them but the Octavia and VRS logo may as well stay put. My first application was great, I started removing the plasti-dip before it dried though and took off some I didn't want removed  to so application to is on now and drying!

Well it was raining outside so it was either the kitchen or the bathroom :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, bradh said:

Looks much better wrapped makes it look more modern :)

Thank you, I plan to wrap some other silver bits like the silver door handles etc but I have read they are an issue to remove so not sure what I will do!

Had the alloys refurbed and sprayed black today, will get some pictures tomorrow when it's lighter outside!

On 28/11/2017 at 15:05, HarleQuinn said:

Started with some plasti-dip, was a bit too eager removing it too quickly and the finish isn't great upon closer inspection so I am going to treat this as a practice and apply again tomorrow. Also hoping the new style badge turns up so I can change it!

Pla.png.dd285584825bf43a71b13d8c6a3337e4.pngpla2.png.b7c980be6bb359922c5a83e7b18501dd.pngpla3.png.0ac9d321eaa32ca9429d818e84a0d79d.pngpla4.png.294581a72440c8a9b876f1a787bdee9b.pngpla5.png.45d43c887efbb050faf23fa514d62d0b.png

Black badging looks so much better than the chrome, wish I had the patience to do that to mine.

1 hour ago, Dubbsley said:

Black badging looks so much better than the chrome, wish I had the patience to do that to mine.

Yeah I think it does, thank you. The finish on that isn't great so I have ordered some already blackened badges. The VRS one can be found on ebay for £10 and the octavia one is the newer style octavia badge from Superskoda!

Edited by HarleQuinn

10 hours ago, HarleQuinn said:

Yeah I think it does, thank you. The finish on that isn't great so I have ordered some already blackened badges. The VRS one can be found on ebay for £10 and the octavia one is the newer style octavia badge from Superskoda!

Might have to have a butchers for them then. 

• 5 weeks later...

Sadly due to the weather and a few other things I have not managed to do much else yet.

Mechanically though I have had...

Rear parking sensors fitted

New brembo discs and pads, front and back

New spark plugs (NGK laser platinum) and New Bosch ignition coils

New bosch wipers (front and rear)

Front wheel alignment

DSG oil and filter changed

Going forward...

I have a rattle on my wastegate and possible turbo issue I am having looked at

Alloy wheels to be refurbed and sprayed black

Chrome grill surround replaced for a black one and new badge

Wing mirrors to be changed to gloss black

Handbrake Gaiter gathering / stiff

Both front link rods weak / both front console bushes perished / Slight corrosion N/S/F spring / Shock buffer perished N/S/F (looks like new suspension all round)

Had the car 9 weeks and am finding these issues that I never imagined I would find at this point, the car has done 100k though so some things are probably due for replacement. Paid £6250 for the car though, feel a bit aggrieved with a possible further £1k costs for mechanical issues!

• 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, bullawayo said:

Where did you get the badges mate?

Looking good! i'm not sure about that steering wheel badge though!

I need to get a better photo of that steering wheel badge. It does look better than the old school logo and the colour and carbon fibre goes with the colour. That Pic is at night so the flash of the camera ruined the shot!

The VRS logo I sprayed myself but superskoda now sell them. The Octavia logo I bought from Superskoda and the car badges are decals. There is a guy on Facebook called "Crazy Gel Decals" who can make any decal style, shape, size, colour scheme you would require!

Edited by HarleQuinn

On 9 January 2018 at 17:05, HarleQuinn said:

Sadly due to the weather and a few other things I have not managed to do much else yet.

Mechanically though I have had...

Had the car 9 weeks and am finding these issues that I never imagined I would find at this point, the car has done 100k though so some things are probably due for replacement. Paid £6250 for the car though, feel a bit aggrieved with a possible further £1k costs for mechanical issues!

The other way to look at this is, you have a nice car which cost somebody a lot to buy new, who's used the components and they now need replacement. Probably why they sold it. Apart from the turbo, actuator rattle, the other things like discs and pads is normal servicing. It looks like a lot of car for the money, sold to you at about 30% of its original price. Turbo issue aside, I bet the engine itself is still as smooth and delivering the same power as when new. Once you've completed the repairs you'll know the history and can use it with confidence and still sell it for a reasonable amount in 2-3 years. More importantly has it had the cam tensioner replaced? If not potential failure and cost of a new engine would be disastrous for you. I like  the mods apart from the black spray around the radio, carbon looks much better. Corrida red looks best on the MkII but I am biased. Good luck with the turbo etc. 

1 minute ago, Redboy said:

The other way to look at this is, you have a nice car which cost somebody a lot to buy new, who's used the components and they now need replacement. Probably why they sold it. Apart from the turbo, actuator rattle, the other things like discs and pads is normal servicing. It looks like a lot of car for the money, sold to you at about 30% of its original price. Turbo issue aside, I bet the engine itself is still as smooth and delivering the same power as when new. Once you've completed the repairs you'll know the history and can use it with confidence and still sell it for a reasonable amount in 2-3 years. More importantly has it had the cam tensioner replaced? If not potential failure and cost of a new engine would be disastrous for you. I like  the mods apart from the black spray around the radio, carbon looks much better. Corrida red looks best on the MkII but I am biased. Good luck with the turbo etc. 

Forgot to say thanks to @bullawayo !

Indeed you are correct and I am glad you have said this @Redboy

The turbo is all fixed and I actually managed to get it paid for by RAC warranty (which came with the car) so that £540 outlay is on them. The engine feels good, I am getting paranoid about the DSG though, I have had the oil changed and it's software reset but it feels less smooth in  gears 1 to 4 when cold, sometimes the issue isn't there at all though, especially at higher speeds. I notice a little hesitation when pulling off or starting to reverse too. May not even be an issue but me being paranoid. Could be standard operating for all I know.

I think I am hoping to keep this car for 6-7 years and give it a lot of care. The timing chain and all the bits that go with it was changed at 61k miles in 2013 by the previous owner, I have the paperwork.

I appreciate the kind words, thank you :)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HarleQuinn said:

Forgot to say thanks to @bullawayo !

Indeed you are correct and I am glad you have said this @Redboy

The turbo is all fixed and I actually managed to get it paid for by RAC warranty (which came with the car) so that £540 outlay is on them. The engine feels good, I am getting paranoid about the DSG though, I have had the oil changed and it's software reset but it feels less smooth in  gears 1 to 4 when cold, sometimes the issue isn't there at all though, especially at higher speeds. I notice a little hesitation when pulling off or starting to reverse too. May not even be an issue but me being paranoid. Could be standard operating for all I know.

I think I am hoping to keep this car for 6-7 years and give it a lot of care. The timing chain and all the bits that go with it was changed at 61k miles in 2013 by the previous owner, I have the paperwork.

I appreciate the kind words, thank you :)

Great news, you won't regret buying it. Pound for pound the best car I ever had was my MkII

image.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Weather has been cold and wet recently so not got too much done, started doing a small addition to the trim, needs tidying up and finishing off once the weather picks up (need to wrap some silver parts still)!

Excuse the angle of the picture making the steering wheel look squashed :D

panel.jpgside.jpgsteering wheel.jpg

Edited by HarleQuinn
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Did a bit of work recently getting some original badges and colour coding them to the car...

5aa16b7522757_Originalbadge.jpg.474ca0ac8b8719a0d84fabfaf7324846.jpg

Sprayed.thumb.jpg.12d2d4e43eb8625e2a94c32acb994d09.jpg

5aa16b71bbfe7_Finishedsprayed.thumb.jpg.0460acae09301f6903e4bf2b5fa3e5ec.jpg

5aa16db8e37c2_Frontbadges.thumb.jpg.2f9a7fafdae961692a0242d7ead7a104.jpg

5aa16b778d0ff_Rearbadgesall.thumb.jpg.71db8cf66bfa840c476b9f0382832090.jpg

I am happy with the result, I sanded the badges with 2000 grit sandpaper and primed with plastic primer to ensure the paint adhered correctly. Finished with a couple of coats of lacquer!

Edited by HarleQuinn

• 5 weeks later...

It's been a while, just wind deflectors added and the door pillars have been wrapped. I am changing the door pillar wrap to the miltoec door pillar covers soon and I am also currently spraying the wing mirrors black.

Slightly glamourised Instagram shots here!

IMG_20180407_020349_446.jpg

IMG_20180407_021353_321.jpg

IMG_20180407_021738_066.jpg

IMG_20180407_022317_225.jpg

On 14 February 2018 at 16:54, HarleQuinn said:

Weather has been cold and wet recently so not got too much done, started doing a small addition to the trim, needs tidying up and finishing off once the weather picks up (need to wrap some silver parts still)!

Excuse the angle of the picture making the steering wheel look squashed :D

panel.jpgside.jpgsteering wheel.jpg

Is that red tape/piping? Whatever it is, you have done a neat job.