Ticking/clicking when engine is running?

Hi everyone,

I have noticed recently that when the engine is running there is a ticking/clicking noise coming from somewhere, I think it is the engine bay. It can be heard even when the bonnet is closed. You should be able to hear the noise alongside the sound of the engine. It is a 2010 Octavia MK2 TFSI with a DSG gearbox.

Link to the video on youtube

Thanks for any help or advice on this, I am quite worried.

1 hour ago, HarleQuinn said:

Hi everyone,

I have noticed recently that when the engine is running there is a ticking/clicking noise coming from somewhere, I think it is the engine bay. It can be heard even when the bonnet is closed. You should be able to hear the noise alongside the sound of the engine. It is a 2010 Octavia MK2 TFSI with a DSG gearbox.

Link to the video on youtube

Thanks for any help or advice on this, I am quite worried.

First of it's a TSi not TFSI, TFSI is the engine fitted to pre FL octavia, and the engine cover also give it away. Now for the noise, it sounds like it could be a coil pack arching out to earth, maybe worth trying to push them down a bit further into the spark plugs (do this with the engine turned off and not running as there is about 60-80,000 volts running through them and i know from experience it hurts)

If this does not cure the problem it may need a new set of coil packs, used to be a fairly common problem on all makes of cars, but i've not seen it for a while now.

Just now, Ju1ian1001 said:

First of it's a TSi not TFSI, TFSI is the engine fitted to pre FL octavia, and the engine cover also give it away. Now for the noise, it sounds like it could be a coil pack arching out to earth, maybe worth trying to push them down a bit further into the spark plugs (do this with the engine turned off and not running as there is about 60-80,000 volts running through them and i know from experience it hurts)

If this does not cure the problem it may need a new set of coil packs, used to be a fairly common problem on all makes of cars, but i've not seen it for a while now.

Ah OK thank you for the correct info, quite a novice mistake by myself :)

With the MOT only being done 3 weeks ago and a full service which apparently included new spark plugs is this something that should have been mentioned in a report? I bought it from a dealer who had the MOT done and the full service I paid for but through the dealer so at trade price.

3 minutes ago, HarleQuinn said:

Ah OK thank you for the correct info, quite a novice mistake by myself :)

With the MOT only being done 3 weeks ago and a full service which apparently included new spark plugs is this something that should have been mentioned in a report? I bought it from a dealer who had the MOT done and the full service I paid for but through the dealer so at trade price.

The tech or apprentice who did the service probly has not fitted one of the coil packs back on properly then, i'd take the vehicle back and have them check it over, it should only take 10 minutes or so for them to find and rectify it. it should of been found and rectified before handback to you.

Hmmm, the dealers and garage they use are a good 35-40min drive away. However I have 3 month warranty from the dealers with The warranty Group (Motorplan premier package). Should I give them a call?

If it is cheap and easy I think it would be better to have it done locally. I have also heard this could be the charcoal cannister, I have found a video on youtube of this and it is exactly the same sound. Interestingly I have been linked to this topic on another forum, am I allowed to link?

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5568938-Ticking-sound-at-idle

Thoughts?

Edited by HarleQuinn

So to further add I am seeing multiple reports of this on VAG owned car brands. In the charcoal cannister there is a n80/evap valve that is opening and closing and the general consensus is that it is normal. I dunno, it's quite annoying at times but it seems an exact description of my issue, multiple videos with the same noise too.

It is normal. Mine does it. I've heard other EA888 engines doing it. There was a post a week or two back with sound files that does it... If there are no codes / engine lights it shld be operating correctly.

Edit:  If this is the noise, and no codes, it is normal.:-

Edited by TheClient
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I never heard it inside the car.  I don't hear it all anymore, only if I am outside the car with bonnet up do I notice it.  I did notice when I first got the car and inspecting it though, so can relate to your concern.

Edited by TheClient
  • Like 1

I'm the originator of the 'tappet noise' post referred to above

Since my post All Electric Škoda, Kings Heath, Brum, have had a look and confirmed the EVAP N80 purge valve diagnosis.  You can easily check this out by unplugging it.  They won't replace on warrantee as it isn't flagging a fault code but it's quite cheap (circa £30) and a few minutes labour to fit.  I'm still waiting for a quote but will advise when I have it.  Meanwhile, don't worry, it's a common problem and an easy cheap fix.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lozb said:

I'm the originator of the 'tappet noise' post referred to above

Since my post All Electric Škoda, Kings Heath, Brum, have had a look and confirmed the EVAP N80 purge valve diagnosis.  You can easily check this out by unplugging it.  They won't replace on warrantee as it isn't flagging a fault code but it's quite cheap (circa £30) and a few minutes labour to fit.  I'm still waiting for a quote but will advise when I have it.  Meanwhile, don't worry, it's a common problem and an easy cheap fix.

Thank you,

yes please keep me informed about the quote you get :)

20 minutes ago, HarleQuinn said:

Thank you,

Found this eBay, not sure if it's the right bit, any views?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HQ-VW-AUDI-SKODA-GENIUNE-BOSCH-N80-PURGR-SOLENOID-VALVE-OE-06E906517A/252638757831?epid=1137611800&hash=item3ad27183c7:g:gvkAAOSw-0xYNHXO

Meanwhile I've chased quote with Škoda.

Are you 100% the noise will go and stay away?  As I mentioned, I have heard quite a few cars with same engine do it..... I'll just leave mine unless it starts showing faults... Thanks for updates though.

2 hours ago, TheClient said:

Are you 100% the noise will go and stay away?  As I mentioned, I have heard quite a few cars with same engine do it..... I'll just leave mine unless it starts showing faults... Thanks for updates though.

Unless it annoys you or shows a fault, leave it. EVAP isn't critical for engine function, although it can lead to emissions issues under certain circumstances.

14 hours ago, HarleQuinn said:

Thank you,

Email from Skoda today:

Hi Mr Beard
Sorry for delay 
£141.12 would be the cost to replace the EVAP N80 valve
Let us know if you wish to proceed
Kind Regards
Andy

4 hours ago, TheClient said:

Im certainly not 100% sure this will cure the click, but personally I find it annoying so will probably give it a go and post result on here.

I totally agree though that this is not a mission critical part so it would be perfectly reasonable to just leave it to tick away (unless it Flag’s a fault light/code)

39 minutes ago, Lozb said:

Email from Skoda today:

Hi Mr Beard
Sorry for delay 
£141.12 would be the cost to replace the EVAP N80 valve
Let us know if you wish to proceed
Kind Regards
Andy

OK, more than I anticipated. You going to have it done by them?

8 hours ago, HarleQuinn said:

OK, more than I anticipated. You going to have it done by them?

Me too, not sure, I've asked for price for supply only so I can try to fit myself, will keep you posted.

On 04/12/2017 at 22:58, Lozb said:

Me too, not sure, I've asked for price for supply only so I can try to fit myself, will keep you posted.

£90.12 inc VAT fit part supply only.  Sounds too much, am looking for other suppliers

• 5 months later...

Took me a while but finally had my N80 valve changed at my local independent garage.  Part was just over £50, not sure about fitting cost as I had a minor service at the same time so all labour costs lumped together on invoice.  It can only have been £20 or so tho.

Ticking gone, engine back to silky smooth and quiet and at less cost than skoda quoted for supply only.. Happy owner.

Edited by Lozb