Just had a Shark remap, nice.

Well just got home after having a stage 1 Shark remap done in Milton Keynes and my first thoughts, I like it. It has a little bit more torque from the lower revs, but once the turbo comes in strong it really takes off. One initial downside though, they found under testing that the engine was suffering from fuel starvation at 6k revs plus. So more expense, they are getting in a new high pressure fuel pump and I have to go back tomorrow to have it fitted.  Was not getting my usual mpg on the drive home, I wonder why!!

21 minutes ago, roaddetective said:

Well just got home after having a stage 1 Shark remap done in Milton Keynes and my first thoughts, I like it. It has a little bit more torque from the lower revs, but once the turbo comes in strong it really takes off. One initial downside though, they found under testing that the engine was suffering from fuel starvation at 6k revs plus. So more expense, they are getting in a new high pressure fuel pump and I have to go back tomorrow to have it fitted.  Was not getting my usual mpg on the drive home, I wonder why!!

:thinking:  Errrrrrr......Dicky fuel pump

Just now, Auric Goldfinger said:

:thinking:  Errrrrrr......Dicky fuel pump

Hi Auric

I just thought that it was because I was putting my foot down more often. It was a more rhetorical question really. Never felt any fuel starvation myself, but I usually do not take the revs up beyond 6k anyway. Not like my old CTR. 

I have just had my Superb 140 elegance estate mapped by Shark at their very helpful dealer AW Tuning in Sidcup. Took advantage of the black Friday offer,only £279. Initial impressions in the Friday evening traffic home are favourable, much more responsive than before, especially as the car had had the "fix" before I acquired it. Hoping for an increase in mpg as well, I keep a brim to brim mileage log, so will report back soon. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, roaddetective said:

Oh well, i usually have problems that are hard to solve with my cars. They fitted the new high pressure fuel pump today, but it still is not running right. At the moment it is logging misfires, but he can't as yet get to the bottom of it. Last year I fitted 4 new Bosch coil packs and last week I fitted new Bosch spark plugs. It ran perfect until the remap. I know a remap with the extra boost can throw up any weakness in the car, but what it is who knows? So I have had to leave the car in Milton Keynes and I am driving their courtesy car, a very old VW Lupo. This car takes me back to the stone age, can't wait to get my own car back. Hopefully it will be sorted on Monday.

• 9 months later...

Did you get to the bottom of the misfire 

On 09/12/2017 at 13:54, roaddetective said:

Oh well, i usually have problems that are hard to solve with my cars. They fitted the new high pressure fuel pump today, but it still is not running right. At the moment it is logging misfires, but he can't as yet get to the bottom of it. Last year I fitted 4 new Bosch coil packs and last week I fitted new Bosch spark plugs. It ran perfect until the remap. I know a remap with the extra boost can throw up any weakness in the car, but what it is who knows? So I have had to leave the car in Milton Keynes and I am driving their courtesy car, a very old VW Lupo. This car takes me back to the stone age, can't wait to get my own car back. Hopefully it will be sorted on Monday.

1 hour ago, swany said:

Hi swany

No mate they never did find what the problem is. In the end they altered the map slightly, so that at 6k revs it has a lower boost. They told me that they dropped the stage one by about 5bhp. So there is the extra power leading up to 6k revs, you just have to remember when you are giving it some go, change up gears a bit earlier. So when it was standard, there was no misfire  at all with 200bhp. When a stage one was first put on, a couple of initial runs, no problem. But then it developed a permanent misfire at 6k revs. Once when I was driving I gave it some stick on the dual carriageway and held it in 3rd gear at 6k misfiring like crazy, just to see what  would happen. Bloody thing went into a form of limp mode and I struggled home with what felt like 3 cylinders working. Once home, engine off and on again, back to normal. So to end my comments, I fitted new spark plugs and coils before the remap. They had the turbo apart to fit a new rubber O ring, it was split. Swapped the low pressure fuel pump at the tank end. Swapped the high pressure fuel pump that is bolted onto the engine for a new one. Had the fuel injectors cleaned and when that did not work, even tried changing them completely. At the same time I asked them to clean the inlet manifold. New fuel filter fitted. Ally at Unit 18 Automotive Milton Keynes is the main ex VW fitter who owns the garage. He was so honest, if something did not cure it, he did not charge me. He certainly lost money on my car. I think it was a matter of pride, he really needed to find the misfire, but not this time did he have success. Is it some sensor braking down, who knows. If only it would show up a code, everybody would know what is causing it, but not even a code! Hopefully you are not asking the question because you have something similar happening with your motor. Would now love a stage two remap, but what's the point. Bloody cars eh!!  Still love the car mind.

On 08/12/2017 at 21:18, ChrisRJ said:

I have just had my Superb 140 elegance estate mapped by Shark 

especially as the car had had the "fix" before I acquired it.

Just noticed your post, how has your car been after the re-map ?  Also, did they roll back the fix, before re-map ?

I have a fixed 140 and considering remap.  Thanks

Car much more responsive and just drives better. As far as I understand it the new map overwrote the "fix". With regard to mpg, it's been about 2mpg better so nice the remap and that's over 13,000 miles with brim to brim records. I would recommend the remap but I heard Shark had gone out of business although there are other companies out there. As a comparison on my previous MkII 140 I fitted a tuning box which gave a similar improvement using seat of the pants "feel" but approx 2mpg worse consumption and that was over 70,000 miles using the same brim to brim recording. Hope this helps. Chris.

• Thanks 1

On 24/09/2018 at 23:06, stever750 said:

Sadly shark were wound up in July this year, the name and IP been acquired by a new company. 

Yeah been taken over by vw racing so should be just as good or even better what with the backing of such a company 

• 4 months later...

Just to revive my old post. I still have the same car, with the very slightly de-tuned boost on it's remap at 6k revs, due to the high rev misfire that developed straight after the initial remap was put on the car. Nobody ever got to the bottom of the problem. My question is, has anyone else had the same problem, when after a remap on their TSI, it developed a high rev misfire. Although my car has run perfectly since the map was adjusted, I would love to know what the fault might have been, when it had the boost increased into the very high revs. Maybe a sensor somewhere that only reacts to extra high revving boost, goodness knows! My next car of course will be another Octavia VRS, but a MK3 230. Have to map it of course, still love these cars.