Help - Heated Passenger Seat Cushion Not Working

Need some help, especially in the current weather! 

The heating element on the passenger seat has just stopped working today. It was working last night and the back is working absolutely fine. Does anyone have any experience of this problem, as a search here seems to show it doesn't appear to be a high occurring issue. 

Anyway, given the speed of the failure, I'm wondering if it could just be a loose connection and, if so, can anyone point me in the right direction where to look?

I'm I correct presuming the control unit handles both elements, or are there two separate controllers?

In any event, guess it'll be a seat out job? 

Bloody annoying - all four seats are lovely and toasty in our 130,000 mile MKI! 

As always, any help you guys can offer is really appreciated. 

On 10/12/2017 at 19:40, linni said:

Seating element failed at 175 000 km (110 000 miles). Got it changed at local dealer, cost 200 euros.

The backrest element is still fine.

Thanks for the reply Linni...

Blimey... £180!  Well ours only has 37k soft miles which is bloody annoying, especially as circa 30k of those has been without a passenger! I'll see if I can fix it; the part can't be that expensive. I also guess in Estonia, these are absolutely necessary too!?

;)

Edited by numskull

On 12/9/2017 at 19:24, numskull said:

Need some help, especially in the current weather! 

The heating element on the passenger seat has just stopped working today. It was working last night and the back is working absolutely fine. Does anyone have any experience of this problem, as a search here seems to show it doesn't appear to be a high occurring issue. 

Anyway, given the speed of the failure, I'm wondering if it could just be a loose connection and, if so, can anyone point me in the right direction where to look?

I'm I correct presuming the control unit handles both elements, or are there two separate controllers?

In any event, guess it'll be a seat out job? 

Bloody annoying - all four seats are lovely and toasty in our 130,000 mile MKI! 

As always, any help you guys can offer is really appreciated. 

The controller is under the passenger seat or under the carpet. No need to remove the seat to get to it,  They are available on fleabay but as some of the seat is working I suspect its the heating element that's broken. By the time I'd sold my Superb all the elements had gone. They are not very robust.

9 hours ago, Hoverurb said:

The controller is under the passenger seat or under the carpet. No need to remove the seat to get to it,  They are available on fleabay but as some of the seat is working I suspect its the heating element that's broken. By the time I'd sold my Superb all the elements had gone. They are not very robust.

Thanks for the reply Hoverurb.  Yeah, I suspected that'd be the case. It's really annoying given the lack of use. Manufacturing cost saving I suppose. All four of our 130k 12y/o MKI seat heaters work perfectly. I'll have to get it fixed - I can't have SWMBO moaning. It's going to be £2-300 I'd guess; it's ridiculous that something which should last the life of the car has failed with such little use. I'll get the dealer to see if they can get SUK to make a contribution. 

On 12/16/2017 at 08:17, numskull said:

Thanks for the reply Hoverurb.  Yeah, I suspected that'd be the case. It's really annoying given the lack of use. Manufacturing cost saving I suppose. All four of our 130k 12y/o MKI seat heaters work perfectly. I'll have to get it fixed - I can't have SWMBO moaning. It's going to be £2-300 I'd guess; it's ridiculous that something which should last the life of the car has failed with such little use. I'll get the dealer to see if they can get SUK to make a contribution. 

My Mk1 seats all worked perfectly too, sold it with 165,000 on it.  IMHO the Mk1 seats were much better in many ways.