Okay, guess the fault after remap.

I have just had my VRS Shark stage one remapped. The garage in Milton Keynes who mapped it have excellent reviews and are certainly well thought of. When the guy test drove it he stated that beyond 6k revs it was misfiring. He thought it might be the high pressure fuel pump, the one bolted to the engine. He replaced that with a genuine one, but again he said there were misfires, that were also showing on his computer which he had plugged in on the test drive. The EML light would flash on when the misfire occured. So now he has it still at his garage and I am driving around in their courtesy car. He is determined to find out the problem and I do have faith he will. Just a little competition for all the knowledgeble members on here, who can guess what the problem is. Background, the car is on 80k miles. It had a new fuel filter at 40k miles. I fitted 4 new Bosch coil packs last year. I fitted 4 new Bosch spark plugs, checked at the correct gap last week. The car drove perfect before the remap, so I guess the extra power and strain it produces, showed up something weak with the cars system. He did say that on Monday he is going to try swapping around the coil packs and plugs from his car into mine to see if it cures it. His car is a rather nice Audi TT with 300bhp. 

Despite your disappointment, I think your attutude is correct. Have faith and let them fix the issue. The worst that can happen is they roll back the map and refund you. The best is that it is fixed and gives you great performance. Mine was mapped by Shark last week and I got an EPC light on the run home at a steady 50 Mph, which extinguished  after I stopped and restarted the engine. It  hasn't reappeared. I notified them and said if it occurred repeatedly I would drop back in for a check/remedy and they sent a positive reply immediately.  Perhaps we shouldn't be surprised, original settings from thefactory are probably a bit conservative for optimal reliability/performance, so a 3-5 year old car running a more stressful mode might be more prone to revealing any issues within the car's systems. Fingers crossed they sort it out quickly and your faith is restored. 

7 minutes ago, Redboy said:

Despite your disappointment, I think your attutude is correct. Have faith and let them fix the issue. The worst that can happen is they roll back the map and refund you. The best is that it is fixed and gives you great performance. Mine was mapped by Shark last week and I got an EPC light on the run home at a steady 50 Mph, which extinguished  after I stopped and restarted the engine. It  hasn't reappeared. I notified them and said if it occurred repeatedly I would drop back in for a check/remedy and they sent a positive reply immediately.  Perhaps we shouldn't be surprised, original settings from thefactory are probably a bit conservative for optimal reliability/performance, so a 3-5 year old car running a more stressful mode might be more prone to revealing any issues within the car's systems. Fingers crossed they sort it out quickly and your faith is restored. 

Hi Redboy. I certainly don't want them to put it back to standard, as I did have a drive with the map on and loved it. I am sure it will be sorted in the end. Be interesting to find out what the problem is. Can't fathom it out at all myself, mind you, cars have so much tech built into them, the average home mechanic like myself has a problem understanding some of it. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after checking fuel pumps, filters etc, they sent the injectors off to be tested. 2 of the injectors were not supplying enough fuel. They have now all been flushed and fitted back into the car. I have been told that after their test drive it is now running perfect, HURRAY. Going to pick it up first thing tomorrow morning. I think it will at first feel like driving a rocket ship, as I have been for the last 2 weeks driving a 16 year old VW lupo 1.4cc.  

15 hours ago, mk2octavia said:

Glad the problem is sorted :)

I hope you enjoy the power! 

Hi mk2octavia

Just picked the car up this morning. He had to have the injectors checked and cleaned, regrind where they sit in the head, as a couple had the seals broken and they were moving around a little bit. This guy in Milton Keynes certainly knows what he is doing. The drive home, bloody great. Love that extra boost of power, but might not love the extra fuel consumption using it.

Had a remap myself recently and also problems. First of all Ignition coils gone, so have replaced them. So close to Christmas its all a bit rushed. Just driven 150 miles down the M1. First 100 miles was taking it easy, then last 50 decided to give it some welly. Have an issue where in 5th/6th where if I put my foot down, the revs go up really fast with no bite, it does fell 'a bit off' as well, like not  getting the power properly. Hard to explain as had remap then drove 300 miles perfectly and now having issues. I also noticed that the gear number on the dash disappears momentarily when it does this. Perhaps clutch slipping? Anyone have experience of this? 

p.s. Sorry for the post add on roaddetective, glad to hear you have got yours sorted, I feel the same that with the remap it feels like a much better car so im in that 'Do I try fix these things, or is the remap causing more issues than its worth'. 

8 hours ago, PadanFain said:

Had a remap myself recently and also problems. First of all Ignition coils gone, so have replaced them. So close to Christmas its all a bit rushed. Just driven 150 miles down the M1. First 100 miles was taking it easy, then last 50 decided to give it some welly. Have an issue where in 5th/6th where if I put my foot down, the revs go up really fast with no bite, it does fell 'a bit off' as well, like not  getting the power properly. Hard to explain as had remap then drove 300 miles perfectly and now having issues. I also noticed that the gear number on the dash disappears momentarily when it does this. Perhaps clutch slipping? Anyone have experience of this? 

p.s. Sorry for the post add on roaddetective, glad to hear you have got yours sorted, I feel the same that with the remap it feels like a much better car so im in that 'Do I try fix these things, or is the remap causing more issues than its worth'. 

Sorry to hear of your problem PadanFain, but it does sound like you need a new clutch. It looks like your car had so much wear in the clutch that had not showed up yet with the standard power of the car. It's just that the extra power of the remap has showed it up earlier. Once you get the clutch done and usually the dual mass flywheel as well, your car should be brilliant. There are a few posts on here where members have stated after a remap, they have needed to get a new clutch fitted. Bloomin cars eh, we never stop spending money on them.  

46 minutes ago, sleeper77 said:

This is a good thread. I was thinking of getting a remap done, but if it means spending more money on parts for the car if for eg misfires then I will avoid. 

Don't get this post wrong, most people who have a remap don't have any problem afterwards. I was just unlucky. After all, if the previous garage had fitted the new manifold correctly with all the bolts tight and checked the injectors  were seated properly at the same time, I would not have had a problem either. Even the guy who did the remap said vehicles he remaps are usually in and out without any problems at all. Remember, members such as PadanFain who posted on this thread with a clutch problem afterwards are few and far between. You will always get more posts when problems occur, than members who drive their cars for some time afterwards without mishap. The big decision of course is all yours, just have a little money put aside, just in case!

I understand that, just saying in case there might be a problem not that it will happen. Also I would only take it to a trustworthy garage that has plenty of good reviews & fortunately there is one not too far from me (JKM, Portsmouth) 

One question about the remap, is the throttle response better or the same after having it done? I find it quite silly on mine what seems like a one second delay when I want quicker acceleration. 

4 hours ago, sleeper77 said:

I understand that, just saying in case there might be a problem not that it will happen. Also I would only take it to a trustworthy garage that has plenty of good reviews & fortunately there is one not too far from me (JKM, Portsmouth) 

One question about the remap, is the throttle response better or the same after having it done? I find it quite silly on mine what seems like a one second delay when I want quicker acceleration. 

I have not noticed any better throttle response in the lower revs, but from around 2.5-3k revs, it takes off like a scalded cat. I never thought the throttle response on mine was slow anyway. I assume any delay must be the turbo spooling up. 

On 21/12/2017 at 17:34, roaddetective said:

I have been told that after their test drive it is now running perfect, HURRAY.

Great news, worth persevering with, the Shark franchise sounds very good and you've got a quick healthy car. Christmas bonus! I have had no further problems since the single EPC light illumination. Took it for a spin today on the driest roads for several weeks. The difference in in acceleration and torque is fantastic especially considering the relatively small cost. I wish I had done this from new and would recommend this to all owners. 

10 hours ago, sleeper77 said:

This is a good thread. I was thinking of getting a remap done, but if it means spending more money on parts for the car if for eg misfires then I will avoid. 

I had a stage 1 remap done on my 07 vrs pd. I've not had any issues....It's very low mileage car though so that might be part of the reason. 

I used quantum for my remap. 

Also worth noting my car has 77k miles on, ive been throwing it about a bit since I bought it at 63k. It's at that point where things need replacing anyways, and I'm guessing the re-map has just quickened things that were on the way out anyways. Just hope this is the last bit then I can enjoy the new feel for a bit. 

roaddetective - I've been advised to get an 'uprated' clutch. Any ideas on a good replacement? Apparently I should get a better than OEM one. 

Edited by PadanFain

1 hour ago, PadanFain said:

Also worth noting my car has 77k miles on, ive been throwing it about a bit since I bought it at 63k. It's at that point where things need replacing anyways, and I'm guessing the re-map has just quickened things that were on the way out anyways. Just hope this is the last bit then I can enjoy the new feel for a bit. 

roaddetective - I've been advised to get an 'uprated' clutch. Any ideas on a good replacement? Apparently I should get a better than OEM one. 

From all the posts I have seen on this site, with a Stage 1 remap, a new standard clutch handles it with no problems. If you do want  to fit an uprated one, hopefully another member here will give you the name of a good make. Maybe start another post with that question, you might get a faster answer. I also hope my clutch, which is the original one on 82k miles, holds up okay for a while yet. 

Thanks for the information guys. In that case it will still be something I intend to have done along with a couple of other mods in a few months time. 

I was looking up about some other cars from different brands away from the VW group with turbo charged engines & they too have throttle delay. Maybe it could also be a safety feature to give people a chance to change their minds for eg not to go full throttle at the last moment because traffic slowed down suddenly in front of them? Just a theory, although I do accept lag & spool as a reason for the delay. On a Ford forum though I read that having something like a Mountune tuning option to minimise the throttle delay if true. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/22/2017 at 12:10, roaddetective said:

Hi mk2octavia

Just picked the car up this morning. He had to have the injectors checked and cleaned, regrind where they sit in the head, as a couple had the seals broken and they were moving around a little bit. This guy in Milton Keynes certainly knows what he is doing. The drive home, bloody great. Love that extra boost of power, but might not love the extra fuel consumption using it.

Well problem not quite fully sorted yet. I have noticed once or twice, the car would not rev above 6k, especially noticeable in 2nd gear when you really are going for it. Never thought much of it as I don't very often rev it that high anyway. This morning it again would not rev above 6k, so I tried it again and the EML light started flashing on and off. Phoned up where I had the remap and misfire done and they now recon it might be the low pressure pump in the fuel tank causing it. Some faults are a hell of a job to sort out I suppose. So it's back to the garage this Friday for a new low pressure fuel pump to be fitted. That will then be, new low pressure fuel pump, new fuel filter, inlet manifold cleaned along with the valves in the head and the bolts holding the manifold all properly tight this time. The injectors were checked and cleaned at the same time. The only thing left then on the fuel side, which is where they are sure the problem lies, will be, the high pressure fuel pump bolted onto the engine. That was one of the first things they changed when after the remap, it had that high revving misfire. Because it did not make a difference at the time, they took it off again.  Last time they worked on it, there was certainly some improvement with the misfire, so much so we all thought the problem was solved. Trouble is, in the last week or so I  have noticed it is still partly there, when after a couple of higher revving moments,  I glanced down at the rev counter and saw it stopped revving at 6k and then the EML light started flashing, although the misfire is not as bad as it was originally. It just stops revving higher than 6K most of the time. Mystery eh?

Well I certainly have lots of luck at the moment, all bad. Was taking the car back to the garage in Milton Keynes today to let them have another look at this misfire or fuel starvation fault, or whatever it really is. On the way, caught a pot hole front N/S while turning right at a roundabout and you guessed it, split the side wall of one of the new tyres I only just had fitted a couple of months ago. Had this pair of new tyres fitted then because a bloody pot hole split the sidewall of a previous tyre. At least when the previous tyre got split, both front tyres were down to about 3mm, so I had both replaced at the same time. This time it's nearly brand new and not a cheap make either. New tyre at £125 being fitted tomorrow. Anyway, at the garage they went right through the car again and found a split O ring on the turbo. Whoopee fault sorted, no such luck it's still there. The next thing they are going to do on the 23rd of this month is take it to a rolling road so that they can monitor the fault at a steady 6k revs to see if they can work it out, as that is when it shows itself. When will this saga ever end? You all might be getting a bit bored with this tale so far, but I will still post when the problem is solved, maybe with a really happy smiley face at last.

• Thanks 1

Just now, kton200281 said:

Keep us updated and hang in there - will get sorted and at least it’s been through a thorough inspection in the process 

Just now, kton200281 said:

Keep us updated and hang in there - will get sorted and at least it’s been through a thorough inspection in the process 

Thank's kton200281 for the encouraging words, I sure need them at the moment. Just had the new tyre fitted and of course the tracking was out, so had that adjusted as well. It will certainly be a well sorted car when in the end it is all cured. Cost so far, over £1000 and rising.