Okay, guess the fault after remap.

If it's any consolation, I'm also still having issues. Ignition coil blown twice,and now need a new clutch. It's at 78k though so guess not toally out of the blue. Decided to get a Sachs performance clutch fitted whilst im doing it. Good job I don't drink or smoke! £1200! Dam! 

Edited by PadanFain

1 hour ago, xman said:

Might be worth pursuing local council for pothole damage. Check other forums (peppipoo?) for advice.

Hi xman. That is always an option, but you then have to stand in the road, measure the depth and width of the pothole with photos showing a ruler across the hole just to prove you measured it correct. The problem at that pothole site is, it is a road busy A road on a roundabout, so I might get knocked over very easily while I check out the hole. Need some cones and traffic lights to do that safely. Down £155, tyre plus tracking. Bloody councils. If it was local to me, I would sneak up late at night, put a big ring of white paint around the hole with a message for the county council next to it. 

4 minutes ago, PadanFain said:

If it's any consolation, I'm also still having issues. Ignition coil blown twice,and now need a new clutch. It's at 78k though so guess not toally out of the blue. Decided to get a Sachs performance clutch fitted whilst im doing it. Good job I don't drink or smoke! £1200! Dam! 

Oh mate, I feel your pain. I also don't drink or smoke, well maybe when I get excited the very odd shandy. My car is at 82k and so far, although it has only been a couple of weeks since the remap, the clutch seems okay. Please let me know how you get on with the Sachs clutch, as I might need one at some point. Will it be any harder to push down on the clutch pedal, just as smooth on moving away etc. I fitted Bosch coils last year and they seem to be holding up okay. When the good lady asks how much I have spent so far, I must admit I have fibbed a little.

• 2 weeks later...

Right, got the clutch fitted and Wow the difference! The Sachs clutch feels lovely. Much firmer than my old one. So car is now working after a 5-6 weeks of issues. That's the good news, the bad news is I drove 100 miles to Blackpool to see family and some F*&%$£t decided to key the bonnet. 2-3 foot gouge. Thanks for that. Why do some people just want to see the world burn? Absolutely gutted! 

10 minutes ago, PadanFain said:

Right, got the clutch fitted and Wow the difference! The Sachs clutch feels lovely. Much firmer than my old one. So car is now working after a 5-6 weeks of issues. That's the good news, the bad news is I drove 100 miles to Blackpool to see family and some F*&%$£t decided to key the bonnet. 2-3 foot gouge. Thanks for that. Why do some people just want to see the world burn? Absolutely gutted! 

Really sorry to hear about the bonnet mate, you seem to be having the sort of luck I am at the moment. I can sort of understand if someone steals something from a car, although I would want to hurt them really bad, if they do it to me. Damaging a car just for the sake of it, does not make any sense  whatsoever.  If you damage my motor, killing comes to mind. There's my true nature coming out. LOL. The Sachs clutch, do you mean by firmer, it needs a firmer push on the pedal? Or do you mean it bites harder. If it is good and not too hard a push, as I do like the smooth easy pressure you need to push down the original clutch, then that will be my replacement when my clutch goes. Don't mind a little firmer, but not too much, as in traffic jams you might get a little left leg ache. Update on my motor, Just took it back to the same garage in Milton Keynes today. Tomorrow  they are going to take it to a rolling road, so that they can hold it at 6k revs plugged into their laptop. Maybe then they can figure out the fault. I spoke to the main man Ally and he still recons it is the injectors. They were sent away by him to get tested and cleaned, but as he stated, they might not have put enough pressure into them when testing. If that ends up being the case, it's a new set of injectors needed, more cost!! Will be happy though if it does end up being sorted.

It certainly needs a firmer push on the pedal, not smooth pressure like the OEM. I really like it to be fair and pretty much only notice it in early gears. Best of luck getting the injector issue resolved, hate it when you just don't know the exact cause. 

I hope nobody else when having a remap, goes through all this trouble. The garage have just had my car for the last 4 days. Put onto rolling road to see if they can work out the problem. Put new injectors in thinking that is the problem. Still holding back at high revs. Ally has even been in touch with the main man at Shark, Ben, to see if they can work it out together, no luck. So what they have done at the moment, is put a milder map on it and guess what, works perfectly, although it now feels a bit flat again. I do miss that stage one map, even if it did not rev easily through to the red line. I have it booked in again in 2 weeks time. Ally is then going to introduce a map that I think has been adjusted, so that it again has the extra power, but no high rev holding back. Fingers crossed. I must admit though, they have been brilliant throughout and according to my latest bill, they are taking a loss on this job.  

• Like 1

There was another poster on here who recently had trouble with a vRS EA888 engine and a shark remap at head office. With it ending in a "possible" turbo fault despite repeated attempts to diagnose and resolve. Your guys sound very thorough and switched on and helpful but it sounds like a massive 8@11ache.  Maybe the EA888 just are quite panickity and not the best choice to remap. Either way based on recent experience including your own I don't think it is on my radar anymore.

Hope they sort it.

2 hours ago, PadanFain said:

Well, I've done 1000 miles since new clutch and no further problems. Driving like a dream. Car is much nicer after remap to be honest. Any news your side roaddetective?

Hi PadanFain

Well on my last visit to the garage they were  sure and so was Ben at Shark HQ Mansfield, that it was injectors. So even though they sent my original injectors away to be cleaned and tested, they then fitted new ones. That did not cure the problem.  I am told they left them in. I certainly know they did not charge me for them, in fact after all the work Ally has done, the bill was very moderate. I think they are taking a financial hit on my car, because they can't as yet find the fault and Ally seems an honest man.  What they did do was put a milder map onto the ECU. This gives me a bit more power, but not as yet the full stage 1. With this milder map the car is running perfectly. This Friday I am booked back in, where they are according to the young lady in reception, going to gradually introduce a more powerful map again. I think they are probably going to modify the stage 1 map before I arrive, so that at high revs, it does not hold back. I am not going to get charged for this on Friday either. I have trawled sites such as the Golf GTI one and this problem has happened before to a couple of members after a remap . Usually the Golf owners never got to the bottom of it, even though their garage had replaced numerous parts. Never heard that any of them had the map custom configured to the car though to solve it. I live in hope still.

It's good to hear you are happy with your map and clutch though. I hope to update with better news after Friday.

• 3 weeks later...

Well this is a right saga. Was on my way to the garage on Friday, got nearly there but was phoned and told the guy who is trying to sort my car has gone home sick. Oh well, can't be helped I suppose. Just been there today and Ally, who is a great guy by the way, worked again on the car. He found out that the software on the ecu is not genuine Skoda. Maybe the last owner mapped it and before selling, had it taken off again leaving non genuine software on the system. So Ally flashed genuine Skoda VRS software on and then proceeded to load the Shark stage 1 software onto my ecu again. He took it up the road and as he stated, revved it beyond the 6k revs numerous times in second gear without any engine holding back like before. HURRAY CURED. However, my relieve was short lived. It was great when I gave it a few high rev moments going through Milton Keynes, so I was very happy as well. Once I got to Bicester a few miles from home, gave it the high revs again, oh no, holding back once more at 6k revs and at times flashing the EML light, what the bloody hell is going on with my motor? I must admit though, it is not as bad as it was, lasts less than 1 second then carries on to the red line. Do you know what, I think I will just have to live with this super strange fault. At the very least guys, you might not get too many more of my posts on this subject from now on.

5 hours ago, planehazza said:

Sounds like you've had a better experience with Shark then I did.

Mate, now not so good. Thought I would check it out again on my way home tonight. Gave it some beans in 4th gear and when it got to 6k revs, it just stayed there. It would not go beyond into the red line as it does eventually in 1st and second. Then bloody hell, most of the power dropped, the car drove like it had lost 80per cent of it's power and it started to vibrate. The EPC light also came on and it went into a form of limp mode. Drove the last 8 miles slowly, not wanting to try engine off and on again, just in case it would not start up and I would be stranded. Got home and engine off. Started it up again and EPC light went off and it drove okay again. Thank goodness, I thought I might have blown something. Phoned the garage and spoke to the main man who did the remap and all the other minor repairs trying to sort out the misfire. He said he was going to speak to Ben, the main man at Shark garage in Mansfield. I said I might have the map taken off in case it ends up damaging my engine. He fully understood, but I may learn more tomorrow when he phones me back after he has spoken to Ben. 

As a matter of great interest planehazza, what happened at Shark in your case?

Well, I am taking the car back again to the garage in Milton Keynes this Tuesday. Going to give them one more chance to work out the problem. Alli and Ben, who is the main man at Shark HQ, are racking their brains to cure it. If it can't be sorted, it's put the standard map back on and  money back. How much has this cost me so far? Well with money over the counter and taking time off work, I am self employed, it has cost me over £1100. As a wise mate of mine stated, if you want more power, why don't you just buy a faster car!

I do hope you sort it. Based on experience, your experience and other member detail posts, yep, I no longer want to wander down this path with this engine. Best of luck though for it all being resolved.. otherwise a clean break back to standard./..

41 minutes ago, TheClient said:

I do hope you sort it. Based on experience, your experience and other member detail posts, yep, I no longer want to wander down this path with this engine. Best of luck though for it all being resolved.. otherwise a clean break back to standard./..

I now only have a slim hope of getting it sorted, but that is better than no hope at all. Trouble is, the car will feel bloody slow if the map has to come off, as it's great as long as you don't hit those high revs.

wow just read the full post i feel your pain roaddetective car goes in for a stage 1 remap comes out ok then on the way home problems:angry:, i like the way shark blame everything apart from the remap for the problems it sounds like it was being limited/held back by the ecu at 6k for what ever reason, i would of been fuming and demanded shark refund all the cost to you for replacing parts that didn,t need replacing when the only thing that changed was an obviously problematic map, but for them to blame the injectors that had been fully reconditioned shows they dont care and were trying to pass the buck,  i seem to remember when the tsi vrs first came out  there was issues with remaps .

Get the map removed and back to standard and refunded + loss of earnings as self employed good luck with the car !

49 minutes ago, willy0329 said:

wow just read the full post i feel your pain roaddetective car goes in for a stage 1 remap comes out ok then on the way home problems:angry:, i like the way shark blame everything apart from the remap for the problems it sounds like it was being limited/held back by the ecu at 6k for what ever reason, i would of been fuming and demanded shark refund all the cost to you for replacing parts that didn,t need replacing when the only thing that changed was an obviously problematic map, but for them to blame the injectors that had been fully reconditioned shows they dont care and were trying to pass the buck,  i seem to remember when the tsi vrs first came out  there was issues with remaps .

Get the map removed and back to standard and refunded + loss of earnings as self employed good luck with the car !

Hi willy0329

They are going to give it one more go and I so hope it works as it's good to have the extra power. Another problem of course is the weather. How can he road test it, if the road is slippy with snow! If all else fails, it's back to the standard map, with the cost of the stage 1 map back. As for all other costs, impossible to get them back without a court case. Alli, the guy at the garage who has been working on the car, has really been fair with me. When he fitted a new part such as the high pressure fuel pump, when it did not cure the problem he took it off again and did not charge me. The last time he worked on the car there was no charge at all. Bloody modern cars, too much technology that can go wrong and very hard to diagnose. When it went into a form of limp mode, I put my basic code reader on it when I got home, to see what code came up. Would you believe it, no codes stored.

Still no resolution here roaddetective? Hmmmm....just a silly question, but did you change the ignition coils recently/since remap? They were the first thing to pop on mine, and the symptoms on these cars are that they go crazy juddering and EPC light. When my first one blew it was ok when i started the car next day for a few miles only. Then the 2nd one blew a week later. Cheap to change at about £20 each. So hope you get this sorted, even more so as I just noticed you have the exact same model engine, year and colour car as me it seems. If you fancy a drive to Leicestershire I have a guy can do the map for £150. Can probably use the same remap he used on mine. 

@TheClient. I would still say it's worth trying. The car is just superb after a remap. My own issues were probably down to age rather than anything else although the map was done 3 times due to a turbo underboost issue which was soon resolved by my guy. Cost - Remap (£150), ignition coils x 4 (£90), Uprated Sachs clutch kit  + flywheel(yeah i know overkill but **** it (£1200 fitted). Of course, the day I got it back after the clutch was fitted someone keyed my bonnet because life hates me....so shall I add £300 for respray? Sigh. :-( 

On 23/02/2018 at 13:48, roaddetective said:

Well, I am taking the car back again to the garage in Milton Keynes this Tuesday. Going to give them one more chance to work out the problem. Alli and Ben, who is the main man at Shark HQ, are racking their brains to cure it. If it can't be sorted, it's put the standard map back on and  money back. How much has this cost me so far? Well with money over the counter and taking time off work, I am self employed, it has cost me over £1100. As a wise mate of mine stated, if you want more power, why don't you just buy a faster car!

Good luck getting your money back.  I was refused it as they said it's not a map issue. There's more to it, but I'll keep it off the public forum to be fair.

I've just had the rudest email after having nothing but bother with them for now over a year. I've essentially been branded a liar, and have kept my STS device that THEY broke  (which they have denied on paper).  When they deem that the fault is not with their map, they keep your money and want nothing more to do with you, unless they can charge you more.

I seriously recommend avoiding this company. I've kept my distaste out of the public light but not any longer.

15 hours ago, planehazza said:

I've just had the rudest email after having nothing but bother with them for now over a year. I've essentially been branded a liar, and have kept my STS device that THEY broke  (which they have denied on paper).  When they deem that the fault is not with their map, they keep your money and want nothing more to do with you, unless they can charge you more.

I seriously recommend avoiding this company. I've kept my distaste out of the public light but not any longer.

You certainly have had nothing but bad luck, or bad service, with them planehazza. I must admit the garage I have been dealing with in Milton Keynes have been really great. They had my car in again Tuesday gone for the day, while I drove out in one of their cars, to the shops to wander around.  They have been right through my motor trying to find the 6k revs fault. It does not help as no codes come up giving him a clue. In the end they took some of the boost off at the high revs. He states I have probably lost up to 5bhp by him doing this. It still goes like stink, but slows it's acceleration a bit once near the high revs. I don't get it too often near the red line anyway, so I can live with this. He also again did not charge me a thing. I know I have lost a fair bit of money on this, but so has the garage who have been working on it. 

By the way planehazza, say hello to my home town, as I see that is where you live.

Just now, roaddetective said:

You certainly have had nothing but bad luck, or bad service, with them planehazza. I must admit the garage I have been dealing with in Milton Keynes have been really great. They had my car in again Tuesday gone for the day, while I drove out in one of their cars, to the shops to wander around.  They have been right through my motor trying to find the 6k revs fault. It does not help as no codes come up giving him a clue. In the end they took some of the boost off at the high revs. He states I have probably lost up to 5bhp by him doing this. It still goes like stink, but slows it's acceleration a bit once near the high revs. I don't get it too often near the red line anyway, so I can live with this. He also again did not charge me a thing. I know I have lost a fair bit of money on this, but so has the garage who have been working on it. 

By the way planehazza, say hello to my home town, as I see that is where you live.

It's clear that they are as upset with me as much as I am with them; they see me as problem customer.  But I'm just going to move on and never deal with them again, which is probably a mutual feeling.  

We've spoken over on OCUK too I believe, but I'm under a different username there :)

• 6 years later...

Some on can help please??? i did a remap on my skoda octavia vrs tdi mk2 and now when i accelerate the power drops and comes back again and when i reach top gear 130km the car starts choking