02 Fabia 1.9 Sdi 'overcharging'

Wmc

Hi Everyone, 

I have had no problems at all until a few months ago the remote locking started to play up.  Then a few days back the battery light came on accompanied by a beep, i tested the battery 12.28v (after an overnight rest) i thought this was borderline so i ordered a new battery.  After replacing it the car seemed fine and starte up, after give or take 10 seconds there was a beep and the entire dashboard shut down.  The engine was still running so i decided to test the battery.  It read 17.5v! I have checked my test equipment and even run a secondary meter, it still gives the same result.

Can anyone explain what might be happening please? 

Thanks!

The only thing I can think of that can give that situation is a failure of the voltage regulator part of the alternator.  Can be replaced separately, or the whole alternator can be changed. Would suggest not starting it again until resolved, as that voltage could possibly cause widespread damage.

• Like 2

Thanks @Wino and @KenONeill.  I just have a further queiry (it never ends after just one question does it?)

Is there an easy way to track down compatible voltage regulator? It still has the original one on. It is a Bosch 90A L DFM (D connector) but there just seems to be so many available, I would hate to buy the wrong one and have to wait even longer to get back on the road!

i don't mind if it's not a genuine part but I would like to know that it will fit...

thanks.

If you can get a well lit, in-focus photo of the back end of the alternator, there may be a visible part number on the regulator/brushpack. If there is a VAG part number on the alternator, that might also be sufficient to find the right regulator.

Edited by Wino

Regulator part number seems to be 038903803EX, as far as I can tell from this page: https://skoda.7zap.com/en/cz/fabia/fab/2002-225/9/903-903000/

It's version 13 of the alternator, and scrolling miles down the parts list I came to that part number for the regulator.

• 1 month later...

Hey Wmc, did you get sorted,

As your alternator is 15 years old I would have recommend you get it refurbed or get an exchange one,

the bearings and brushes will all be tired now.