Skoda VRS 2011 power issue, strange juddering sound.

Got that oh oh feeling today. Was set for a long drive and about 15 miles in, start getting power issues at around 40-50mph, and gave a strange juddering sound (almost thought it was the traction control initially). Engine light flashed for a minute or so then went off.... managed to drive it home by taking it easy. Is this symptomatic of the dreaded tensioner issues? Has done about 75k miles. 

Oddly I had a similar issue last week. For me it turned out to be a misfire on cylinder 3. Changing the ignition coil fixed it.

I experienced the issue constantly and would have to back off the accelerator and ease back on for the juddering to stop. Could be a different issue but that's my experience!

That sounds like exactly the same thing and my first thought was hmmm feels like a Cylinder gone, it used to happen in my Fiesta periodically every 12-18 months or so. God I hope that's it, having a mini breakdown as it's my first top end car and took me over a year to save for. 

I understand, we had a motability car for 7 years from passing our tests (me and the wife) until last month when we had to buy our own used car. It has scares me senseless thinking about unexpected costs and odd noises. We were not prepared as the DLA decision came out the blue, we have appealed but can take 8-9 months. We had to get a personal loan.

My trusted garage hooked the car up to a diagnostics machine and found the fault right away!

On 12/15/2017 at 20:23, HarleQuinn said:

Oddly I had a similar issue last week. For me it turned out to be a misfire on cylinder 3. Changing the ignition coil fixed it.

I experienced the issue constantly and would have to back off the accelerator and ease back on for the juddering to stop. Could be a different issue but that's my experience!

How strange, Cylinder 3 misfiring - Ignition coil. Exactly the same problem and cylinder. Thanks for putting my mind at rest over the weekend HarleQuinn. :-) Under £100. 

5 hours ago, PadanFain said:

How strange, Cylinder 3 misfiring - Ignition coil. Exactly the same problem and cylinder. Thanks for putting my mind at rest over the weekend HarleQuinn. :-) Under £100. 

That is really strange, glad it's sorted though! Easy enough fix luckily.

So today another coil popped. Cylinder 1 this time. Another 6-7 mile hazard light filled 25mph crawl back to the garage and changed the ignition coil. All seemed OK. I then had a 150 mile drive....

...First 100 miles was taking it easy, not putting my foot down too much. Seemed OK so started giving it some welly in 5th/6th gear at high revs. Did this thing where the revs went up quickly but without any power connecting, like just empty revving when i put my foot down hard on the accelerator. Also noticed that the number on the dash showing the gear the car is in disappeared, then came back when I eased off. Clutch slipping maybe? (Backstory, had remap about 4-500 miles ago, had a few issues with a turbo underboost initially so it has had to be redone since, then did maybe 2-300 miles no problems then they started). 

Edited by PadanFain

4 minutes ago, PadanFain said:

Hi Anddenton, is there a link so I can have a read? I figured it is probably something that has been mentioned before.

Sorry, your latest issue seemed so similar to the below that I thought you'd posted twice.....

4 hours ago, PadanFain said:

Ah it is the same post Anddenton. Seems a few people have to change clutch after remap. Just hoping I can get home (150mile journey)...

Should be fine for a few miles yet, just avoid WOT in higher gears.

• 1 year later...

I have the 2011 Octavia vrs with the 2.0 tfsi engine and engine code ccza which I understand is one of the engines known for this timing issue failure.

Everytime I start the car from cold until the oil is warm the car judders, paranoid and panicking it's this timing failure problem. Any advice from you lovely people please