Petrol VRS buying advice

Hi there, just looking for some general advice really...

Been looking at the octavias to replace my current volvo - had signed up to this forum before when I was changing to that but didn't have the budget for a decent octavia, anyway, now I am looking at getting into one of these.

Want petrol, there seems to be limited second hand options for a VRS petrol which is a 2014 onwards, are these holding their money well? 

Is there anything in particular to look out for on them? I've seen one that's low miles and pretty much immaculate but I don't want to overpay - still a lot of cash to put down for me!!

Can anyone advise on the book price of these? VRS petrol 2014 20k miles?

cheers

I bought a 15k 3 year old example for £14k via approved used just over a year ago. This had most of the options list ticked too (as per sig). I'd assume the car in question must be close to £12k?

Common issues seem to include:

Water pumps failing

Wheel bearings resulting in droning

Booming in cabin

Headlight washer not retracting - happening to mine

Turbos failing on early ones - my 63 has been fine.

Edited by ahenners

5 minutes ago, ahenners said:

I bought a 15k 3 year old example for £14k via approved used just over a year ago. This had most of the options list ticked too (as per sig). I'd assume the car in question must be close to £12k?

It's the estate version, so not sure if that changes the values, but it's over £14k advert price - won't be paying that!

There doesn't seem to be many about for comparison, there's one with a similar mileage but a year newer which is advertised at 16k and then another higher mileage example the same age around 12500

It does have cruise control and some other options, no sat nav (but it does have a year left on the extended skoda warranty)

1 minute ago, the_r_sole said:

It's the estate version, so not sure if that changes the values, but it's over £14k advert price - won't be paying that!

There doesn't seem to be many about for comparison, there's one with a similar mileage but a year newer which is advertised at 16k and then another higher mileage example the same age around 12500

It does have cruise control and some other options, no sat nav (but it does have a year left on the extended skoda warranty)

That does seem strong money, but from what I've seen the estates are generally listed higher than the hatches price wise. No idea if they actually book higher but would assume so.

Overall they seem quite reliable cars, I've not seen anyone with anything catastrophic or serious bills wise on here even though the earliest ones are pushing nearly 5 years early next year. 

Just now, ahenners said:

That does seem strong money, but from what I've seen the estates are generally listed higher than the hatches price wise. No idea if they actually book higher but would assume so.

Overall they seem quite reliable cars, I've not seen anyone with anything catastrophic or serious bills wise on here even though the earliest ones are pushing nearly 5 years early next year. 

yeah thanks for that - it's a bit of a pain since there's so few of them it's hard to get a broad picture of the pricing - I'm trying to get the price down a good bit but I don't want to be too cheeky!

I had the same dilemma earlier this year. Spent a few months hunting and eventually  found a July ‘14 petrol DSG vRS estate with 22k miles.   

It had a pano roof and Columbus so I rang the dealer that day and negotiated a trade-in and cost to change. You have to move quickly when you see what you need as, as you are finding, there are not many about. 

Bought it in May at £14,995. Travelled 4 hours each way to get it. Was worth the effort. 

Very, very pleased with it. 33k miles on it now. 

Good luck. 

10 minutes ago, dunc69 said:

I had the same dilemma earlier this year. Spent a few months hunting and eventually  found a July ‘14 petrol DSG vRS estate with 22k miles.   

It had a pano roof and Columbus so I rang the dealer that day and negotiated a trade-in and cost to change. You have to move quickly when you see what you need as, as you are finding, there are not many about. 

Bought it in May at £14,995. Travelled 4 hours each way to get it. Was worth the effort. 

Very, very pleased with it. 33k miles on it now. 

Good luck. 

lucky sod! I would love a sunroof but literally not seen one since I started looking! 

Good to know the price isn't wildly out tho - hoping that the run up to christmas is a good time to negotiate a deal!!

I paid £10,995 for my vRS Estate DSG Diesel with 75k on the clock last week for reference, not a petrol, but I wouldn’t say £14k for a petrol Estate would be too overpriced if it was a tidy and well optioned one. At the end of the day, it’s only money and a 14 reg is still quite a new car so you’ll be losing a lot of cash anyway. I wouldn’t worry over the last penny when you’re buying what you want. The estate does seem to hold onto its value better and the petrol one is slightly harder to get hold of than the diesel. The shape of the deal you’re getting is more important than the screen price, the ‘value’ in the deal often comes down to the method of payment (cash/PCP/HP/bank loan) and the details in those numbers as much as the agreeed price for the car.

• Like 1

yeah true, although I'm buying outright with my own money so every penny is a prisoner!! If it was on pcp i'd have bought it already...

It does everything i want, the only missing thing that I want is a spare wheel

The replies on here have certainly been helpful - I think if I can get the price down a bit, it's not far out pricewise, just need to put the negotiating hat on!

I would recommend finding the pre-FL VRS 230 (2016) if there are any kicking around?

I bought mine with 2000 on the clock ex-dealer for £19k, incl. part ex-ing my 2007 Fiesta S. Has all the bells and whistles internally (e-Diff, 19" Xtreme alloys, Black Package, Amundsen infotainment etc.), plus some assurance that the turbo (hopefully) won't eat itself like some of the earlier 2014 220's.

Unfortunately, there are limited numbers of the 230 in the UK (esp. in manual) but believe they're not amazing at retaining value - although I bought mine to keep and mod. They are very good cars, IMHO - solidly practical, fast, fun :thumbup:

Wish you the best in finding one!

I've had my 14 plate about 16 months now and paid 17600 for it with 33k on it travelled about a 1.5 hrs away and ex demo 

Octavia vrs estate tsi dsg

Candy white

Keyless entry 

Push start button

19 extreme wheels 

Pan roof

Powered boot

Variable boot floor

Spare wheel

Black pack

Caton sound system

Big sat nav

Leather seats

Heat seats, windscreen and washerjets

Cruise control

Plus all the standard spec

Now at stage 2 330bhp and 520nm of torque 

Edited by Ant-Vrs
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ads230 said:

I would recommend finding the pre-FL VRS 230 (2016) if there are any kicking around?

I bought mine with 2000 on the clock ex-dealer for £19k, incl. part ex-ing my 2007 Fiesta S. Has all the bells and whistles internally (e-Diff, 19" Xtreme alloys, Black Package, Amundsen infotainment etc.), plus some assurance that the turbo (hopefully) won't eat itself like some of the earlier 2014 220's.

Unfortunately, there are limited numbers of the 230 in the UK (esp. in manual) but believe they're not amazing at retaining value - although I bought mine to keep and mod. They are very good cars, IMHO - solidly practical, fast, fun :thumbup:

Cheers, haven't really heard much about the turbo failures, would that be covered in a factory warranty? Is it a problem with the engine across the whole vag group?

Tbh I'd love to have ~20k to spend on one of these but it's not happening at the moment!

9 minutes ago, Ant-Vrs said:

I've had my 14 plate about 16 months now and paid 17600 for it with 33k on it travelled about a 1.5 hrs away and ex demo 

Octavia vrs estate tsi dsg

Candy white

Keyless entry 

Push start button

19 extreme wheels 

Pan roof

Powered boot

Variable boot floor

Spare wheel

Black pack

Caton sound system

Big sat nav

Leather seats

Heat seats, windscreen and washerjets

Cruise control

Plus all the standard spec

Now at stage 2 330bhp and 520nm of torque 

Sounds like a cracker! How much does the power increase kill the mpg?! 

Would love to do a remap but it'll be more than powerful enough for my better half!

1 minute ago, the_r_sole said:

would that be covered in a factory warranty? Is it a problem with the engine across the whole vag group?

It was an issue, across most of the VAG group on early EA888's, AFAIK - but it has not persisted since. Belief it was more of a quality issue, rather than a design issue.

1 hour ago, Ads230 said:

Wow! 19k!

i paid 18k for a brand new facelift 230 that has just been made. 

Meteor Grey 

Black Pack

Heated seats/Alancantara

Pano roof

Spare wheel 

If I was the OP id always buy from a dealer. 

Good luck I hope you find a decent example. 

Edited by Tim1631

12 minutes ago, Tim1631 said:

Wow! 19k!

I believe Skoda paid the 'Ugly tax' themselves for the new lights setup, hence £1k off the price ;) 

1 hour ago, the_r_sole said:

Sounds like a cracker! How much does the power increase kill the mpg?! 

Would love to do a remap but it'll be more than powerful enough for my better half!

It depends how you drive it.. I've had upto 45mpg on long runs to the ring etc and 54mpg before the mapping 

It'll soon be stage 3 at around 400-420bhp 

Edited by Ant-Vrs

23 minutes ago, Tim1631 said:

Wow! 19k!

Meteor Grey 

Black Pack

Heated seats/Alancantara

Pano roof

Spare wheel 

If I was the OP id always buy from a dealer. 

Good luck I hope you find a decent example. 

Why would you always buy from a dealer?

17 minutes ago, Ant-Vrs said:

It depends how you drive it.. I've had upto 45mpg on long runs to the ring etc and 54mpg before the mapping 

It'll soon be stage 3 at around 400-420bhp 

That's pretty impressive, you must not drive around like a hooligan!

Depends on OP's position, but I thought it was worth spending a little more to get  a new factory order through a broker with a small cheap loan, rather than used 2-4yrs with no loan. Worked out cheaper than dealer ex-demo!

Petrol estates are in limited supply, think the diesels were far more popular with finance deals, economy etc.

7 minutes ago, MattChr said:

Depends on OP's position, but I thought it was worth spending a little more to get  a new factory order through a broker with a small cheap loan, rather than used 2-4yrs with no loan. Worked out cheaper than dealer ex-demo!

Petrol estates are in limited supply, think the diesels were far more popular with finance deals, economy etc.

The cheapest I've seen a new Octavia vrs petrol was about 23k so a bit more than a small loan away, would much prefer to put my money into owning something that's already taken a good hit off its value than taking on extra debt for a brand new one only for it to depreciate quicker than the loan!

5 hours ago, the_r_sole said:

The cheapest I've seen a new Octavia vrs petrol was about 23k so a bit more than a small loan away, would much prefer to put my money into owning something that's already taken a good hit off its value than taking on extra debt for a brand new one only for it to depreciate quicker than the loan!

Very sensible.

Get an Autotrader account. Then, set up a targeted search and save the search with notifications. They will then email you once a new car hits your parameters. 

Having said that, I found mine on RAC cars advertised with no picture - i.e. just in and not even photographed and certainly not prepped - so I’d check a variety of sites every day. 

Also, some Skoda dealers will take down what you are after and let you know when / if they get one in. Meadens will do this for you.