Advice on lights

ffox

Yesterday evening I had to drive along a busy country road in the fens. There was a lot of mud on the road after the recent snow/thaw and there was a continuous stream of traffic coming the other way. At times it was almost impossible to see the verge or the centre line against the glare, not helped by the SUV driving too close behind.

I'm thinking of fitting bulbs that will give a brighter dipped beam but don't wish to make things difficult for other drivers. Suggestions please.

Just now, clarendon462 said:

Have you checked your lights are clean? I was experiencing trouble and it was just down to dirt on the lenses

I've had this too. Amazing how much brighter they get after a little clean.

It's a standard 2016 SEL 1.2TSI so I guess normal lights.   

The roads round here are so muddy right now you would need to stop very often. Do you suggest I fit headlight washers instead?

Edited by ffox

17 minutes ago, ffox said:

I think SELs are projector dip. Have you got two bulbs or twin filament H4 bulb?

51 minutes ago, ffox said:

The roads round here are so muddy right now you would need to stop very often. Do you suggest I fit headlight washers instead?

Well from my experience headlight washers aren't that effective when its really dirty. Plus it would be a big job to fit them as they were never a factory option on the mk3 i dont think.

On 22 December 2017 at 11:22, ffox said:

When you look at a headlight is there what looks like a 'fisheye' lens staring back ay you? If so, they are Projector headlights, which I think are standard on SE L spec....certainly are on my 2015 version.

36 minutes ago, ffox said:

Yes, those are they.  Does it make a difference?

If you have projector dips you need H7 bulbs, the non projector headlights have twin filament H4 bulbs.

On 2017-12-22 at 13:14, clarendon462 said:

Well from my experience headlight washers aren't that effective when its really dirty. Plus it would be a big job to fit them as they were never a factory option on the mk3 i dont think.

Must be as headlight washers are compulsory in some EU countries and has so been for decades.