LED front door warning lights

Was tempted to swap the door warning lights for LEDs, as they are the only interior lights now still halogen - I'm talking about the "red" light at the bottom of the doors that illuminates when the doors are open. 

I've looked around and the units in the Golf and other new-ish VAG cars look a different shape, so I'm assuming an OEM LED unit retrofit from elsewhere in the VAG parts bin is not possible?

Are the existing bulbs for this location just a 501/w5w/t10? Looking at some Red Osrams for the replacements.

From what I understand these are also canbus monitored, but is there a way to code them for LED as per other modules in the car? I'm assuming it will be under Central Electrics as I looked for adaptations in each door controller and didn't spot anything. If so is it one of the Leuchte channels?

Thanks

1 hour ago, andyvee said:

w5w and not CANBUS monitored.

You can just swap them out for LED replacements without issue

Perfect, makes that much easier then! Thanks for the confirmation! :)

22 hours ago, andyvee said:

w5w and not CANBUS monitored.

You can just swap them out for LED replacements without issue

Swapped mine out for LEDs (W5W/T10) and they show up as an error when scanned on OBDeleven - not on MFD though. The same for footwell lighting in LED. No issue with the rest (glovebox and boot lighting).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wingzee said:

Swapped mine out for LEDs (W5W/T10) and they show up as an error when scanned on OBDeleven - not on MFD though. The same for footwell lighting in LED. No issue with the rest (glovebox and boot lighting).

Interesting to know thanks. What was the error that showed? 

On 12/24/2017 at 07:07, ahenners said:

Interesting to know thanks. What was the error that showed? 

Couldn't remember the exact error - something along the lines of short circuit. Will get a screen shot the next time I run a scan.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, wingzee said:

Couldn't remember the exact error - something along the lines of short circuit. Will get a screen shot the next time I run a scan.

Thanks! I ordered the LEDs anyway so will post once they have arrived on whether I get any errors :)

So I fitted the LEDs earlier this week and a scan today has shown errors on both front door modules. Going to have another look at the adaptations available but don't remember seeing anything last time around those warning lights.

Doesn't show any error in Maxidot and they work perfectly, but not sure my OCD will be able to take it knowing it isn't 100% right.

Hi,

I changed all mine a while back and did get some errors when I did it but this was due to me being a bit clumsy getting the old bulbs out (they were hot) once fitted and the errors reset they have been OK with no errors, I got mine as a pack of 20 off ebay changed all the bulbs, footwell, doors, boot, overhead much brighter.

John

• Like 1

Anyone recommend a decent bulb for interior, doors, footwell, boot, glovebox or any advice on which to avoid?

I don't want allegedly CANBUS friendly!!

Edited by YMe

9 minutes ago, YMe said:

Anyone recommend a decent bulb for interior, doors, footwell, boot, glovebox or any advice on which to avoid?

I don't want allegedly CANBUS friendly!!

I've used Osrams for all of mine - not cheap but excellent quality. A pure, well diffused light rather than cheap Chinese stuff with a blue tinge and patchy light pattern.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00I798TKO/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1508262320&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=osram%2Bw5w%2Bled&dpPl=1&dpID=41KeM8WowkL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

Doesn't matter too much what you use for most of those locations, none are monitored for bulb out warnings.

• 3 months later...

Just to bring this post back up... would someone be able to tell me how many W5W bulbs I would need to do doors, boot, footwell, interior, glovebox etc?

Also, are the number plate bulbs the same kind? Sorry for the n00b questions, this car is so different to where I've come from haha :blush:

1 hour ago, siobhanemerald said:

Just to bring this post back up... would someone be able to tell me how many W5W bulbs I would need to do doors, boot, footwell, interior, glovebox etc?

Also, are the number plate bulbs the same kind? Sorry for the n00b questions, this car is so different to where I've come from haha :blush:

1 for Glovebox, 2 for front interior light, 3 for rear interior light, 2 for boot, 4 for footwells (if you have them - not standard or option iirc), 1 for each front door warning light (though go red if led), 2 for number plate light (1 per side). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ahenners said:

1 for Glovebox, 2 for front interior light, 3 for rear interior light, 2 for boot, 4 for footwells (if you have them - not standard or option iirc), 1 for each front door warning light (though go red if led), 2 for number plate light (1 per side). 

Thanks so much! Got footwells but they are just your plain run of the mill bulbs :) can adjust the brightness of them in the settings on my screen but not sure if changing the bulbs would affect that?

Will have a look and see where I can find some decent ones :biggrin:

• 1 month later...

@ahenners just a quick one regarding changing the bulbs for both the front and rear interior lights.

I had a butcher's before and I couldn't work out how they come off. Also, what tool did you use to, i'd assume, prise it off? I took the ones in the boot out with a small flathead with it only being carpet lined, but I didn't want to merrily start doing that on the interior lights if there was another way.

Just now, tunedude said:

@ahenners just a quick one regarding changing the bulbs for both the front and rear interior lights.

I had a butcher's before and I couldn't work out how they come off. Also, what tool did you use to, i'd assume, prise it off? I took the ones in the boot out with a small flathead with it only being carpet lined, but I didn't want to merrily start doing that on the interior lights if there was another way.

Rear one you probably don't need anything other than your bare hands to pull it. It just comes off though. 

Front one is quite tight but just needs prising out. I'd be careful with using a screwdriver as you may end up marking the plastic surround. Thin trim removal tool or a credit card might be a better shout.

• Thanks 1

Just now, ahenners said:

Rear one you probably don't need anything other than your bare hands to pull it. It just comes off though. 

Front one is quite tight but just needs prising out. I'd be careful with using a screwdriver as you may end up marking the plastic surround. Thin trim removal tool or a credit card might be a better shout.

cheers for that.

Loads of things in the car can be done easily, but then can be broke just as easy.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 15/12/2018 at 16:16, MariuszK said:

Hi, Simple question :-). How to open the door lamp to have access to bulb? I cannot remove this black part from the lamp and don't want to destroy it...Thanks

I've done this with a thin knife, carefully sliding under and pop at the edges.