Open boot warning

Can you disable open boot  super annoyance bong when you start driving and it bongs so much that I would rather shot myself in the head. Yes, I know, I need to stop and close the boot, but it bongs to much to often, its not the world going to fall apart if I dont close to boot for a while.

Maybe with obdeleven?

It’s a safety thing. The slightly open door isn’t sealed so carbon monoxide is able to enter the cabin. If the front windows are open even slightly, airflow over the sides creates a low pressure zone inside the cabin making fume ingress worse.

• Like 1

So this problem is repeatedly happening? Just shut the boot and if it is too difficult then adjust the catch.

Don't think we are getting the full story here.

Merry Christmas .

11 hours ago, YMe said:

Don't understand the problem, Car tells you the boot is open before you drive off so close the bl**dy thing! :x

No, it happens when I start driving sometimes minute or so into the drive, thats the problem.

Nobody got this?

Maybe I cant stop the car this moment (I am on the highway) or maybe I will stop in one kilometer (when I get to the destination) and close the boot then.

But you cant explain the car that, it just keep bonging repetitively with decreasing intervals like somebody is banging you with the hammer in the head.

3 hours ago, toni8b said:

No, it happens when I start driving sometimes minute or so into the drive, thats the problem.

Sounds like you have a faulty boot catch, solve the cause not the effect.

If the boot is really open when you turn the ignition on then you should get the warning.  If the boot is closed but you get the warning after you have driven off then the catch/switch needs adjusting as what is likely happening is that the forward movement of the car is causing the boot to push backwards a little and then the the switch is so sensitive that it thinks the boot has opened.

If the boot does in fact open after you drive off then the catch is not working properly

You can adjust it yourself but if in warranty then back to the dealer.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, octavia5 said:

If the boot is really open when you turn the ignition on then you should get the warning.  If the boot is closed but you get the warning after you have driven off then the catch/switch needs adjusting as what is likely happening is that the forward movement of the car is causing the boot to push backwards a little and then the the switch is so sensitive that it thinks the boot has opened.

If the boot does in fact open after you drive off then the catch is not working properly

You can adjust it yourself but if in warranty then back to the dealer.

I think the case is that I start the car, then open / close the boot, start driving and then the warning comes after a little.

I can get the warning if the boot is not quite properly shut. It doesn't sound straight away but after a little while. If this happens I just have to stop and close the boot properly and I don't get any problems after that.

53 minutes ago, CCTaylor said:

I can get the warning if the boot is not quite properly shut. It doesn't sound straight away but after a little while. If this happens I just have to stop and close the boot properly and I don't get any problems after that.

Thats exactly my situation, and if you dont have an opportunity to stop it bongs much worse than any bong coming from passenger seat.

9 hours ago, toni8b said:

Thats exactly my situation, and if you dont have an opportunity to stop it bongs much worse than any bong coming from passenger seat.

If this is happening regularly it sounds like either you are not closing the boot properly every time or the boot catch needs adjusting. The design of the boot handle is not ideal. To get the boot to close you need build up some downward speed and get your hand out of the way before it closes. I have had 3 different Octavias and this has happened occasionally with each of them.

I've had similar happen occasionally ( with mk3 Fabia - but similar system) - and I've put it down to the keys in my pocket - and the "open boot" button getting a squeeze as I sit in. 

It depends on what I'm wearing, and how much of a rush I'm in !

@toni8b

Edited by Dithane

21 hours ago, CCTaylor said:

I get the warning graphic as soon as any door, boot or bonnet is opened with the ignition switched on, then get the alarm as soon as I drive off.

Maybe the OP should test the boot lid before getting back into the car.

9 minutes ago, Miz said:

I get the warning graphic as soon as any door, boot or bonnet is opened with the ignition switched on, then get the alarm as soon as I drive off.

Maybe the OP should test the boot lid before getting back into the car.

What can happen with me is that sometimes the boot can be in a half way house, not quite properly closed and not quite open. In this situation the is no warning until you have driven off and hit a bump in road. There is a knack to closing the boot properly.

1 minute ago, CCTaylor said:

What can happen with me is that sometimes the boot can be in a half way house, not quite properly closed and not quite open. In this situation the is no warning until you have driven off and hit a bump in road. There is a knack to closing the boot properly.

That's why I suggested "testing" the boot before getting back into the car.

3 hours ago, CCTaylor said:

exactly

3 hours ago, Miz said:

That's why I suggested "testing" the boot before getting back into the car.

how would I do that?

9 hours ago, toni8b said:

how would I do that?

Give the boot a tug, without touching the handle, after unlocking or closing the boot but before getting into the car

Slightly off topic here but discovered yesterday , needed to transport a washing machine in the back of my estate and (AS I couldn't be bothered to put the seats down) the tailgate wouldn't get anywhere near shut. Slipped the catch to provide a location to thread the cable ties through and then through the catch hoop on the body worked fine to keep the tailgate secure. However on driving off expecting the aforementioned bonging all the way home only to discover no audible tailgate open warning nor visually on the maxidot 

8 hours ago, SWBoy said:

Give the boot a tug, without touching the handle, after unlocking or closing the boot but before getting into the car

Agreed, it's a bit like checking the front door is locked before leaving the house.

20 hours ago, CCTaylor said:

There is a knack to closing the boot properly.

Same with my first Roomster.  The "boot" needed closing very firmly in order to prevent it unlatching a couple of minutes after locking the car - or a couple of minutes after driving off.

10 hours ago, johnrowley said:

Slightly off topic here but discovered yesterday , needed to transport a washing machine in the back of my estate and (AS I couldn't be bothered to put the seats down) the tailgate wouldn't get anywhere near shut. Slipped the catch to provide a location to thread the cable ties through and then through the catch hoop on the body worked fine to keep the tailgate secure. However on driving off expecting the aforementioned bonging all the way home only to discover no audible tailgate open warning nor visually on the maxidot 

maybe it only warns if there is slight gap, or just detect a washing machine in the boot?