VRS death by low oil pressure - Repair / Replace?

VertigoJ

Hi there, 

Yesterday I had the great pleasure of spending Xmas day on the side of the M1, after my Octavia decided it didn't want to be working over Christmas. Failed after a Oil light came on around about Nottingham. I dropped into Tibshelf services, checked my oil level, which was fine, drove on. Oil light came back on, but I had to drive as far as Gillingham, so I opted to go for "taking it steady", Just before Luton, she completely lost power, and had to be hard shouldered. Called recovery, first recovery guy had me move her up off the M1, at which point she could just about move forward, but lost absolutely all power after about 600 yards and had to be coasted to a rest. After that, was turning over, but wouldn't bit, engine stopped as soon as starter motor did. No exhaust emissions practically at all. It's been indicated to me that either the oil pump, or the oil uptake pipe has failed. Historically, this isn't the first time the oil warning light had come on without apparent cause around 2 months ago, it was cleared by a flush, new oil and new filter. Her service record has been solid, but a little spotty in the last 20k or so.

So, I'm wondering, given that this can't have been good for the engine in the first place, would it be a better solution to repair the fault, replace the engine, or replace the car?

From what you have described it sounds like the engine or parts of it (ie camshafts) have siezed up.

The same thing happened to me with a twin cam rover sei, i ignored a blown head gasket, eventually it lost power on the way to work and eventually wouldnt start.. Garage stripped head off to reveal oil galeries to the cam  shafts were blocked and the

cams had aluminium deposits fused to the bearing surfaces.

They fitted a exchange engine in and I traded it in for the Vrs. These cars (Vrs) thrive on regular oil changes using a good quality oil, I always use Castrol Edge fully synthetic 5-30w every 6k miles..

If you had taken it off the road the first time the light came on you might have saved it, These engines tend to clog the oil pick up pipe in the sump, im sorry but I think you have cooked it.

Consider the turbo as a example. runs at 20k+ rpm plus the heat it generates, starve it of oil, bearings overheat goodbye one £600 turbo.

You mention it had a flush, was the sump removed and the pick up pipe gauze end checked for blockages?, I dont think a flush can guarantee that the deposits are shifted as they can bake onto the metal and reduce pick up volume.

Im really sorry buddy I know its not what you wanted to hear, I wont advise you what to do as either route will cost £££££.

(Despite all this they are really good cars you only have to seach this forum)

Good Luck with whatever you decide

My money's on the oil pick up pipe being blocked up being the cause of the light coming on. Had you stopped and got the car recovered when the light came on, it would have been a much easier and cheaper fix, from memory a new pick up and o ring is about £20.

No offence, but carrying on driving when you know there's an oil issue is frankly rather silly and a wrecked engine was totally avoidable.

If the rest of the car is good and you're capable of fitting a new engine yourself that'd be the most cost effective solution. If you need a garage to replace it then you might be better off buying another vrs as the labour charge will make the job very expensive.

• Thanks 1

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

I did realise keeping moving was a bad idea, but it was Christmas day, and I was halfway through a 300 mile run. It probably serves me right on a number of counts. If the oil pickup / pump did fail, I take it that secondary damage would be enough to warrant writing this engine / the car off?

As soon as i started reading, instinct was pick up pipe strainer blocked.

Then i read on and thought "uh-oh" but in stronger words...

Best Options really depend on how goosed it is, and how much effort and cash you feel the car/engine is worth...

• 2 weeks later...

I've cast out some lines, and it's looking likely that I'm paying somewhere in the region of £1500 / £1700 for an engine reconn / replacement. At the moment, I'm giving it serious consideration after I bought a replacement car (Audi A4) that turns out to have engine issues. To be honest. I miss the VRS so much that I think If I shell out and get another 50k out of her it would be worth it.