Headlight washer popout unit popped off

cootuk

I know the rear wash wipes on many Skoda's are designed to "pop off" if stuff starts to freeze(in the boot!), presume it's a form of self protection - so this could be similar thing for the headlight washers.

Saying that if this happens during your warranty then it's usually rejected as they say you can't be using Skoda screen wash.

It's been quite warmish in Yorkshire for the past few days though

Edited by bigjohn

Using full strength screenwash, though i suppose it could have frozen due to windchill being at the front.

Usual form over function when spray nozzles on the bumper would work rather than a complicated popout unit.

Never even noticed them until the cover went missing, then saw the innards had gone too.

Edited by cootuk
bumper

Sounds like it froze and forced it off.

When you say full strength what do you mean? The cheap stuff sold normally in halfords and supermarkets is only good to about -5 degrees at best.

I have had problems a few years ago with neat -18 degree washer fluid still freezing on nozzles and in pipes due to wind chill.

As the car goes through the stuff so fast, I tend to adjust what strength protection is in there depending on the long range weather forecast.

My wifes car regularly used to force apart a connection to the rear washer under the car when it froze in the pipe, garage job to access and reconnect but normally no other damage. She uses so little fluid summer strength can still be in there when there is a hard frost.

13 hours ago, cootuk said:

Usual form over function when spray nozzles on the bumper would work rather than a complicated popout unit.

It probably protects more than being exposed so a very good design.
How many have had problems with them?

4 minutes ago, Urrell said:

It probably protects more than being exposed so a very good design.
How many have had problems with them?

Never had any problems with mine popping off, even with temperatures down to -10.

• Like 1

Mine froze in the popped-out position recently, noticed when I got to work that they were both stuck out. When i got back to the car later it had warmed enough for them to defrost and they'd popped back in and are still working fine.

Suppose it's possible the missing one is the result of hitting some debris ? The surrounding bumper can bend and then return to shape, but the washer mechanism could have got broken off ?