Lidl Screenwash

ejstubbs

As I can easily use 5lt in a near freezing, salted roads and dirty 150 mile trip when the headlights are on, cheapness is the main criteria.

Not had an  issue with any brand as long as it is concentrated enough not to freeze at that time of year or with expected weather in next few days.

3 hours ago, AwaoffSki said:

As with so many VW Group Fluids there is much kidology and marked up pricing.

Nothing special and not produced from the tears of a Unicorn.

g052164m2_1.jpg

q2.jpg

s-l640.jpg

the stuff i buy is probably the same as the quantum

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Protection-Detergent-Original-Cleaning-GJZW021-M3/dp/B01NBCRPF7

I have had 3 VW's and this is my 2nd Skoda, always used whatever I got my hands on when I needed to top up. Never used VAG recommended or even fan wash recommended screenwash.

Can someone tell me what makes one sceenwash suitable for fan wash and another not suitable. Never had a washer fail yet.

I would guess it would crystallise in the nozzle, then they dribble

Luckily when I retrofitted heated washer nozzles to my car, I had a nozzle fail and it was within the 2 year warranty period.

Parts guy got me a FOC replacement, knowing that I got my screenwash there

Guest FurryFriend

We use the Prestone too. Never had an issue with it. It clears the screen very well indeed. 

We also keep a 1L Fairy Liquid bottle of ½ and ½ screenwash/warm water in the car with a microfibre cloth at this time of year. Very handy to do the other windows with in particularly cold icy weather where there's dirty road and weather conditions. We've been glad of it many many times. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/01/2018 at 21:33, Highlander19 said:

I have had 3 VW's and this is my 2nd Skoda, always used whatever I got my hands on when I needed to top up. Never used VAG recommended or even fan wash recommended screenwash.

Can someone tell me what makes one sceenwash suitable for fan wash and another not suitable. Never had a washer fail yet.

Apparently, the washer liquids recommended for fan jets are supposed to be better at keeping impurities in suspension in hard water areas, and preventing a build up of deposits both in the nozzels and on the screen itself as they mix with fresh air.

A bit more concerning is that bactera can build up in the washer bottle and when ejected through fan jets produces such a fine mist that it is easily breathed in by vehicle occupants. Thus there is a real risk of spreading legionaire's desease. In theory, the "fan jet" screenwashes have a bio additive that supresses the bacteria.

Extracted from Quantum hazard specification: "Quantum premium screenwash concentrate contains advanced water additives to stop the formation of scale and inhibit the growth of bio films and bacteria including Legionella in the washer bottle".

Edited by speedsport

17 hours ago, speedsport said:

A bit more concerning is that bactera can build up in the washer bottle and when ejected through fan jets produces such a fine mist that it is easily breathed in by vehicle occupants. Thus there is a real risk of spreading legionaire's desease. In theory, the "fan jet" screenwashes have a bio additive that supresses the bacteria.

Interesting.  But a screenwash jet might produce a fine mist but not a true 'aerosol'.  Droplets have to be ten microns or less to enter the alveolar of the lungs.  Likewise, you can't catch Legionella in a shoer just by normal breathing.  I think it's just marketing twaddle :biggrin:

16 minutes ago, kelper said:

.  Likewise, you can't catch Legionella in a shoer just by normal breathing.  I think it's just marketing twaddle :biggrin:

I presume you mean shower. You CAN catch Legionaire's disease in a shower. The shower heads produce the whole gamut of droplet sizes including 10µm. If the water feeding the shower is from a tank that's untreated; voila.......Legionaire's disease. But that's slightly off topic. I've used anything I can get my hands on for years, never had a problem. :cool:

2 minutes ago, Bignij said:

I presume you mean shower. You CAN catch Legionaire's disease in a shower. The shower heads produce the whole gamut of droplet sizes including 10µm. If the water feeding the shower is from a tank that's untreated; voila.......Legionaire's disease. But that's slightly off topic. I've used anything I can get my hands on for years, never had a problem. :cool:

Yes, I did mean shower; shame I can't now edit my post to correct it.  Here is a source of balanced, evidence-based medical research which supports my contention that showers are not dangerous.

28 minutes ago, kelper said:

Interesting.  But a screenwash jet might produce a fine mist but not a true 'aerosol'.  Droplets have to be ten microns or less to enter the alveolar of the lungs.  Likewise, you can't catch Legionella in a shoer just by normal breathing.  I think it's just marketing twaddle :biggrin:

They said the same about brake dust one upon a time!

21 minutes ago, kelper said:

Yes, I did mean shower; shame I can't now edit my post to correct it.  Here is a source of balanced, evidence-based medical research which supports my contention that showers are not dangerous.

You perhaps ought to read it more closely. It states that aspiration is now thought to be the main cause and not aerolisation. I interpret it differently to you. It says not to clean shower heads because they don't spread the disease and they're right. You can have the most sterile shower head in the world. If the water coming out is infected with Legionella, then there's a very good chance you're going to get Legionaire's disease.

27 minutes ago, kelper said:

I'll see your 'THE LANCET Infectious Diseases Vol 2 June 2002 http://infection.thelancet.com' and raise you 'Sporadic cases of community acquired legionnaires’ disease: an ecological study to identify new sources of contamination.

Basically you get Legionaire's from infected water that enters your lungs. Whether it's a 10µm drop or a bloody great mouthful :cool:

3 minutes ago, Bignij said:

I'll see your 'THE LANCET Infectious Diseases Vol 2 June 2002 http://infection.thelancet.com' and raise you 'Sporadic cases of community acquired legionnaires’ disease: an ecological study to identify new sources of contamination.

Basically you get Legionaire's from infected water that enters your lungs. Whether it's a 10µm drop or a bloody great mouthful :cool:

you forgot to post a link.

Nobody is going to catch Legionella from screenwash.  Or from a shower.  Showers can't produce aerosols. 

Edited by kelper

26 minutes ago, kelper said:

you forgot to post a link.

Nobody is going to catch Legionella from screenwash.  Or from a shower.  Showers can't produce aerosols. 

http://jech.bmj.com/content/jech/57/6/466.full.pdf I didn't. I was just hoping to knock it on the head. It's not caused by aerosols it's caused by aspiration. I'm bored with it now. It's getting really old, really fast. :D

Edited by Bignij
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, kelper said:

Nobody is going to catch Legionella from [...] a shower.  Showers can't produce aerosols. 

http://legionella.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/transmode.pdf

There's a section on showers on the 2nd page, as well as sections on aspiration and even ingestion as modes of transmission.  This paper is referenced in the one Bignij posted.

2 minutes ago, weasley said:

http://legionella.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/transmode.pdf

There's a section on showers on the 2nd page, as well as sections on aspiration and even ingestion as modes of transmission.  This paper is referenced in the one Bignij posted.

That paper is over 30 years old!  The cooling tower thesis has been debunked.

The HPA [Health Protection Agency]  makes the simple recommendation to use screenwash. It says this may limit the transmission of Legionnaires’ disease to drivers and passengers and could possibly prevent around 20% of the community acquired sporadic cases of this disease in England and Wales in people under 70.

https://www.nhs.uk/news/lifestyle-and-exercise/legionnaires-risk-from-wiper-water/

Wow!  That's interesting.  I wonder if it was followed up?  It says it might increase the risk by 20%.  If it were true I would expect Legionnaires to be more common amongst taxi drivers - they never use screenwash!

It's very rare in the Uk and many cases are associated with overseas travel.

Edited by kelper

45 minutes ago, kelper said:

That paper is over 30 years old!  The cooling tower thesis has been debunked.

As has the aerosol ingestion.:cool:

The paper was 'Accepted for publication 14 January 2002.'

Edited by Bignij