xenon headlights

attached is a picture of my superb L and K 4 x 4 sent to me by the dealer before I bought it - if you notice  one of the headlights is lit but on the right hand side of the headlamp unit - I have tried to replicate this on the car and my headlamp unit shows the lights on dip and main beam on the left hand side  - my question is what is on the right hand side of the unit and why cant i replicate the photo - i am probably being extremely thick but i would appreciate any explanation - thanks in anticipation.

mynewcar.png

I’m willing to bet that that’s a reflection from the flash/light used. If you look at the surrounding bodywork it suggests the same.

Edited by kriva

That car has the lights off. So the illumination is from the camera or flash or whatever the photographer used.

There is no bulb to illuminate that section of the light cluster.

Thanks for all the replies - I have now established that it was the light reflecting from the car showroom - it just shows that everything isn't always what it seems !!!!!!

12 hours ago, rtj70 said:

There is no bulb to illuminate that section of the light cluster.

Which raises the question, what is that part of the cluster for?

On other models with a double width design like that, there is a "driving" (main beam) bulb there. (e.g. my 2013 fabia with a h7 projector AND a h7 reflector)

Edited by xman

Don't forget not all Superbs have HID headlights - the S and SE have halogen lights as standard and S can't even have HID as an option. That area of the headlamp will contain a bulb/deflector on the cars. Because the HID headlights are bi-xenon then the same 'bulb' is used for main and high beam and that area of the headlamp had no purpose. Therefore it contains a styled piece of glass. You can't have a different headlight shape/design for SE L and above can you ;)

Also the triangle under the headlight unit is just a piece of plastic if you have HID/Xenon headlights but is the indicator if you have the halogen lights as on the S and SE.

DM7484-qihouord.JPG

Edited by rtj70
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Treborgonzo said:

Very good question - I don't know what it is and would be very interested to find out ?????

It could be a design/aesthetics feature rather than a practical one.  Don't forget the 'gems' and 'lashes' on the HID clusters are a design feature which pay homage to the crystal industry in the Czech Rep. 

Edited by penguin17

The use of the phrase bi-xenon refers to the fact both main and high beam are using xenon bulb(s). My Mazda6 with xenons had halogen for high beam. My Passat and then the A3 both had xenons with a single bulb for main and high beam.