To change, or not to change?

3 hours ago, kevberlin said:

Disappointing result from your garage.

I seem to recall the fuel filter is replaced at 40000 miles, but drained at at inspection service. 

Why not buy the air filter, cabin filter and fuel filter from Euro Car Parts, but wait until the regular  35% discount code is put up on their website. (Almost weekly over the last couple of months).

As JWvrs25 said.......the filters are easy to fit. 

There are plenty of videos on the internet that will show you what to do.

Then, if you are not confident, get a local Indy garage to do the engine oil and filter change.  National Tyres offer a really competitive oil and filter change if you can’t find a local trustworthy Indy.

All the best.

I'd love to do the service myself, and have dabbled in this area before, but the things like the fuel filter, do look a little more involved (priming etc) I never minded doing one on my Mk2 Golf, as there was nothing to it, but this looks a bit tricker. Would National Tyres use the correct PD oil? 

On 05/03/2018 at 22:48, kevberlin said:

Online quote function below:

https://www.national.co.uk/oil-change

Thanks, Kev. Just awaiting a reply back from them. My local National Tyres have always been pretty fair......

On a side note, I've been offered a set of Audi A1 Alloys Sport (10 spoke) for a decent price (with tyres) Does any know if these wheels would fit my car? (Does anyone have a picture with a Mk1 running a set?) I believe the part code is: 8x0601025bb (They are running 215/45/16 tyres, though) Many thanks ;)

Audi A1.jpg

Capture.PNG

Edited by GeneralDogsbody

Hi again. Sorry (yet again!) for the double post, but I've just seen a set of 15 inch wheels on a Fabia that I really like (see pictures) And idea as to what they are? (the pictures were taken about 10+ years ago, so might be a long shot) Many thanks.

skodella012.JPG

skodella014.JPG

Great work, duck. I'm not going to find any, am I? (I do like the 'fuller' spoke design - as my spokes drop into the wheel, I feel it makes them look even smaller) 

On a side note, if I do refurb my current (tiny!) wheels in anthracite, what would be the best colour to do the brake calipers in? (Don't want to be too showy, but it would be nice to clean them up......)   

I had a set 20 years ago, good wheels that stood the test of time and stayed in excellent condition for many years, only chance to get some now would be second hand if you could find some!

My own car used to belong to my company so I didn`t have a choice as to which garage did the servicing etc. They always used the local Skoda dealer which it was purchased from. I kept copies of all the receipts of work done. I now use a firm called M&M Autotech since buying the car 3 years ago.

Service,filters and brake fluid,Skoda garage, £257.99, 3 years ago.

Service,filters,brake fluid,cambelt and waterpump £265 from M&M last week.

As a latecomer on the wheels my Fabia 1.9Tdi Estate has gloss black 16" Wolfrace Assassin alloys with Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres. The original alloys I had fitted with a set of winter tyres. As for the mpg I drive 10 miles to work in 30/40 mph areas and usually get 58mpg during the winter and approx. 65mpg during the summer. Out of town that`s a different matter, mpg drops off a little probably due to extra oomph from the Revo Technic stage 1 ecu remap I had done as soon as the car became mine. Just `cos I look like a boring old fart in a Skoda I don`t have to drive like one.

Thanks Duck and BS. It looks like the Mille Miglia wheels will be a proper hen's teeth jobbie! 

I'd love to see pictures of your Fabby estate on 16s, bigsqueeper. 

Oh, and I've been busy again! Red calipers with either aranctcite, or gold wheels.....too much? I don't want it to look too boy racer. But it would be nice to personalise it a tad. What colour calipers would go with either aranctcite or gold wheels? Thanks

Side On Fabia With Brakes Gold.jpg

Side On Fabia With Brakes.jpg

GeneralD,

Will post pics of my Fabia when I`ve changed back onto my summer wheels. Use the original alloys with winter tyres when the temp starts hitting 7 and below. I live near a council depot and the town is the council HQ. You can`t believe how much salt I have to drive through on a morning. Bonus is that the windscreens frost free due to the salt thrown onto it from the passing gritters.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, back again! I've been offered a set of 15 inch VW golf (mk4) avus 2 alloys as a straight swap for mine. Has anyone run a set of these wheels on their mk1?  I've had a look above for a photo of these wheels on a Fabby, but no luck. The  VW part number is 1J0 601 025 Q Z31......thanks. 

Edited by GeneralDogsbody

they are very volkswageny

At a quick glance it looks like a golf.

If you are changing i think you need to go bigger as those standard wheels arent too bad looking.

• Like 1

Quite pricey for a service down your neck of the woods, can you call into a local TPS outlet, as you can sometimes get discount on parts:

oil filter 071115562c RRP £8.47 parts club £4.41

oil 5-30 ZGB115QLB01501 RRP £26.25 net £15.75

sump nut N90813202 £2.65 3% discount £2.57  

pollen filter 6Q0820367B £14.14 RRP £7.78

air filter £15.21 RRP £8.37

fuel filter £15.81 parts promo plus the vat just a summary.

I've serviced my fabia vrs from 115k currently on 166k every year or 10k miles whichever is comes first, it had 2 timing belt changes by Skoda, a couple of brake disc changes due to rust. All calipers have been changed. Checkout YouTube for some of the jobs. Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for listing all the parts for a service, Stuart. I forgot to post that my Father-in-law's best mate, who runs a little garage managed to get all the genuine parts I needed for the full service (air, fuel, pollen, quantum oil and filter) and run injector cleaner through fuel system  for £120 Inc. labour. 

DSC_0113.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1