Shebs mk1 VRS

sheb

Since the sun was shining and it's  warm for the first time in what seems like about 5 years I decided to give the engine bay a quick clean. Nothing special, I'm no detailer!

The slam panel had loads of cambelt stickers etc cluttering it up so I removed them as I have documentation anyway. 

Much neater. 

IMG_6314.JPG

Edited by sheb
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Not really a project update as much as a report but anyway.

We just got back from a 600 mile round trip to South Wales.

At a pretty steady cruise around the speed limit on the motorway with a bit of 50mph restriction, the car managed a mph reading of 44.7mpg !

I realise this may not be totally accurate it still amazes me that a car this nippy and packed full of holiday stuff and family is capable of anything like that.

One issue that has unfortunately arisen and is slightly annoying is a slipping clutch 30k miles after a replacment (smf conversion) was fitted. It's not too bad at the moment but did lead to one hairy moment going to overtake a tractor when the revs just shot up but I pretty much stayed where I was! 

Now I don't claim to be Jenson Button smooth but I'm not that bad a driver and very few of my miles are in stop start conditions as I live in a semi rural village and most of my destinations are via dual carriageway,motorway or country roads and I'm not a speed freak so 30k miles seems a little low. 

Its booked to be changed in a few weeks so we'll see what's up.

Other than that little issue the car performed brilliantly.

I still struggle to think of a reason to change to another car. 

That said, in a couple of years I'd like to go even more stealth and get a nice low miles non vrs 1.8t to make a real sleeper. Annoyingly there's a 58k mile 4x4 elegance for sale near me for £1900 but having just spent a fair wad and needing a new clutch I'll have to let some other jammy sod snatch that up. 

Edited by sheb

8 hours ago, sheb said:

Not really a project update as much as a report but anyway.

We just got back from a 600 mile round trip to South Wales.

At a pretty steady cruise around the speed limit on the motorway with a bit of 50mph restriction, the car managed a mph reading of 44.7mpg !

I realise this may not be totally accurate it still amazes me that a car this nippy and packed full of holiday stuff and family is capable of anything like that.

One issue that has unfortunately arisen and is slightly annoying is a slipping clutch 30k miles after a replacment (smf conversion) was fitted. It's not too bad at the moment but did lead to one hairy moment going to overtake a tractor when the revs just shot up but I pretty much stayed where I was! 

Now I don't claim to be Jenson Button smooth but I'm not that bad a driver and very few of my miles are in stop start conditions as I live in a semi rural village and most of my destinations are via dual carriageway,motorway or country roads and I'm not a speed freak so 30k miles seems a little low. 

Its booked to be changed in a few weeks so we'll see what's up.

Other than that little issue the car performed brilliantly.

I still struggle to think of a reason to change to another car. 

That said, in a couple of years I'd like to go even more stealth and get a nice low miles non vrs 1.8t to make a real sleeper. Annoyingly there's a 58k mile 4x4 elegance for sale near me for £1900 but having just spent a fair wad and needing a new clutch I'll have to let some other jammy sod snatch that up. 

Interesting.... I have a G60 solid flywheel, and VR6 clutch fitted 33,000 miles ago (well over 200bhp) and a trip to the ring.... and all is well with the clutch.... do you know what make of clutch are fitted? (LUX etc?) or where it came from ?

It was a valeo 4p kit according to the records I have. 

I know zilch about clutches as in my almost 30 years of driving I've never had to have one changed. 

I guess we'll see when it's being done. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, my slipping clutch is caused by oil leaking in from the gearbox. 

Annoying to say the least as apparently the clutch plate has almost no wear but obviously needs replacing. 

At at least I know I'm not the worlds worst driver who can eat through a clutch in 30k miles!  

It it also adds another reason not to even think about selling this car.

For all it's little faults , I love my VRS : D

Edited by sheb
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Long time no post.

Nothing much to report, it's just been ticking along nicely.

The clutch is all good now, the 5th gear selection issue is all sorted after an oil change. 

Just had a big service which basically did all the basics plus a good going over with greases etc. 

They did point out a rear number plate light but couldn't sort it due to rusty screws.

I understand it's easier to just pull the rear boot panel off and do it that way? That panel is a pain but I've done it a dozen times now. 

Also, crushed sills.

I've known about these but they are starting to rust so I've just ordered all the stuff to sort them.

I just need a warm dry day and no kids around.

That'll be easter then!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Number plate lights fixed.

There was no way in earth the screws holding the fittings were coming out due to the fact that the heads are just rusty domes.

So, off with the boot panel, again. Dead easy to change the bulbs from inside and the boot panel went on and stayed on with the first try! 

Next. Crushed sill lips. 

I've only made a start straightening them out for now as I wanted to investigate what I'm going to have to deal with invade a trip to the welder was required. 

Not quite as bad as expected. They're flat  over about 30cm and there is some rust but they still seem pretty solid.

This became apparent due to the effort required to get them back in shape. Jesus!

I've only lost two knuckles.

The plan is de-ox gel , rust proof stone chip spray, under seal beneath the car.

Any other suggestions are welcome as I've not done any body stuff for years. 

Edited by sheb

Just a couple of pics to show how the sills are coming along. 

The whole area was squashed flat but as you can see the metal is still good and thick. 

I've cut away all the loose stonechip stuff as it was just a water trap. 

I'm pretty pleased with how it's turned out so far. 

IMG_7801.JPG

IMG_7803.JPG

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, mine have been like that since I bought it but you couldn't really tell as the stonechip stuff had peeled off but stayed hung down if you know what I mean?

They were never mentioned on an mot until last year so I thought I'd have a look. It wasn't that bad. Just bent and surface rust.

i finally got round to undercoating and putting new stonechip on yesterday. 

My mind is at rest now. 

• 4 weeks later...

Another little job sorted today. 

I finally got round to getting an hks exhaust repair bracket fitted to the centre pipe. 

It had been welded previously but broke again last year. 

Supplied and fitted for £40 at my local and excellent Dexel. 

Considering it would have cost me £38 just for the part + postage I'm pretty happy. 

It's a hefty bit of kit and looks like it probably provides more support than the original bracket set up. 

More peace of mind. 

IMG_7901.PNG

Another small but satisfying job done today. 

Rear wiper delete. 

After almost 5 years of ownership and 3 failed motors I decided to just get rid. 

The rear wiper always annoyed me anyway as the cap bit was missing. 

I think it looks much smarter. 

I estimate that with the weight loss and reduced drag it has to be worth the equivalent of at least 60 bhp!

IMG_7923.JPG

IMG_7924.JPG

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nothing sexy to report. 

I have however accidentally sorted a niggling fault.

My drivers door lock occasionally needed an extra blip to unlock but since replacing the car battery with an uprated one (Yuasa 3000) it seems to have cured itself. Bonus. 

I don't get electrics but clearly the extra power has made a difference. 

Also, I've done almost 900 miles in the last week with a family holiday on the Devon/Cornwall border with loads of trips out and about. 

If you're ever down that way head for the A39.

Awesome road.

Apparently it is a bit dangerous in summer season but it was fairly quiet for us. 

I had a few hairy moments on those high sided narrow lanes off the beaten track but having lived in Newquay for a while I got used to reversing with inches to spare!

Mpg? For the whole week from my house and back I averaged 40.2 not driving miss daisy too much. 

The battery makes sense to me the following way (don't quote me though):

The drivers door mech is the most used so a bit worn compared to the rest. A drop in overall voltage will cause the drivers lock mech to not open when all the juice is used to open the other doors. Then a second press of the button has little effect on the other doors as they are already unlocked. This allows more power to get to the drivers door thus unlocking it.

Another year, another MOT pass. 

Same place, same tester, different advisories. 

The windscreen chip (3mm outside zone A) that was an issue last year is ok this year but the rear brake backplates (light surface rust) and slight fraying on seat belts are new to the list even tho they're obviously not recent wear.

Oh well,  a pass is a pass. 

Edited by sheb
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So, we're off to deepest Wales next week.

Before any decent length trip I like to do the obvious checks and fix any little jobs that have been at the back of my mind. 

This time that was mooing brakes, rear speakers and exhaust hangers. 

The brakes were were simple enough to do but how much success there was is yet to be seen.

I fitted some  handbrake return springs in about 10 minutes with no blood loss and only two F bombs.

I've not driven it yet as I'm at home with kids and can't be arsed putting them in the car to go out.  

I'm not optimistic but we'll see eh?

next, speakers.

The last set I fitted were not good but better than the originals and we're just sat in the garage from god knows when or what car.

The tweeter sat proud of the edge so the speakers we're bodged in with nuts as spacers.

The new ones fit better and sound a bit better.

JVC something or other for £25.

finally, the exhaust hanger.

i had the middle one sorted earlier this year with one of those hks bracket thingies and I'd fitted the Y shaped one on the back box too.

I'd intended to do the other one on the back box but couldn't get the part at the time and the existing one was intact if a bit old. 

So, I got round to that and found the bar that attached to the back box was not being attached.

It was just floating there in a world of rust.

Ok. Down to halford for some universal bits and bobs. 

It's not pretty but it's secure and will do for now.

The box itself seems solid with no blowing.

From my scouring the net it appears that genuine oem vrs back boxes are rare/expensive.

Am I right to think that all 1.8t back boxes from the mk4 golf platform will fit but the tail pipes will be wrong? 

If this is is the case I'll probably just get one of those and do a tail pipe transplant at some point. 

Sorry there's no pics but they would be super boring anyway. 

Edited by sheb

• 2 weeks later...

Wales. What roads. A bit worse for wear in places but still. 

From near Shrewsbury to near Fishguard was great fun and not too busy. I'm not sure the kids were fully appreciative but we only had one bout of vomiting and that was on the way home yesterday in the sun. 

Anyway, my car was filthy. Sand everywhere.

As I've mentioned before, I'm no detailer. I don't really want to clean cars at all but needs must. 

I figured i'd do it as well as possible given the time and lack of bothered available. 

I took the seats out.

its so much easier wet vaccing with no seats in and getting them out is a doddle. 

The rears basically pop out once you push the retaining hook back. 

The fronts just require the runner trim removing (t20 torx) and two 13mm nuts. Once they're off push the seat back and unclip the seat belt wiring under the drivers seat. 

Instead of struggling to get the seats ot of the doors I just pulled them out of the boot. It seems to make more sense. 

In case you're wondering, the seats weigh about 21kg each. 

Anyway, I vacuumed then carpet shampooed the carpets then wet vacced them. 

The area around the fast pedal was really stubborn and could be better but I'm too lazy to make any more effort and the missus is losing it with the kids so.......

the seats weren't too bad and are currently drying in the garden.  Should take about 10 minutes in this heat. 

Here are some pictures. 

IMG_8399.JPG

IMG_8403.JPG

IMG_8404.JPG

Edited by sheb