Superb: What can I look forward to?

My car is being built sometime this week. 

Stressing a bit that it'll be driven straight out into European winter weather conditions, possibly on salted/gritted slush, paint and underseal barely dry, and give the brakes their first taste of corrosion.:sadsmile:

Hope not, that'll get all sodden and then it will rot.

Which reminds me, Skodas are fully galvanized aren't they?

Just wondered at what stage does the galvanizing takes place, no sign on those factory videos of hot or cold dip galvanizing like was the norm in the 1990s. Do the steel sheets come into the factory pre galvanized? Can you press a galvanized sheet? And can you weld galvanized bodies together.

As long as their rust protection isn’t Rover standard I think we’re ok.

Rover, of course, made the shells of the beautiful SD1 in one plant, then transported them to another for painting. Bare shells. Transported in the open. Funnily enough, you don’t see many of the early SD1s anymore.

Don’t think Skoda does that.

Edited by MorrisOx

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/01/2018 at 23:53, xman said:

My car is being built sometime this week. 

Stressing a bit that it'll be driven straight out into European winter weather conditions, possibly on salted/gritted slush, paint and underseal barely dry, and give the brakes their first taste of corrosion.:sadsmile:

I'm led to believe my car arrives at Grimsby today. Weather forecast 3C rain and snow, strong winds. No doubt the gritter will be out to stop those factory fresh P7s sliding.

Not a great start for a car built less than a week ago. :worried:

Mine was ‘in build’ this week. Not going to watch the clock on this, just hoping it’ll turn up sometime next month.

Mine has been outside at the dealers since November, sat outside, can’t imagine what the discs look like 

pick it up 3rd of March  150 TDi with dsg sportline hatch Lazer White 

will be interesting, as I have bought it completely off spec, no test drive, just what I have read in reviews and on this forum. 

In fact I have never been in a Skoda in my life except for 5 minutes sat in the showroom 

Sure it will be fine 

44 minutes ago, Blowhard said:

Mine has been outside at the dealers since November, sat outside, can’t imagine what the discs look like 

will be interesting, as I have bought it completely off spec, no test drive, just what I have read in reviews and on this forum. 

In fact I have never been in a Skoda in my life except for 5 minutes sat in the showroom 

Sure it will be fine 

Brave man. I too have a maximum of about 15 minutes experience, not driven one myself yet. Foolish in hindsight? Hope we're not disappointed!

Don't worry about the discs, I'm sure a lump hammer will free them and an pdi blast around the block will  shine them up. ;)

Edited by xman

9 hours ago, Blowhard said:

Sure it will be fine 

That’s just crazy...

What’s crazy?, the car sat at the dealers for months or me never having test driven the superb, if it’s the second one then the reason I didn’t test drive it is that I drive so many miles in so many different vehicals I haven’t driven a really bad one for years, all these big German salons are very similar and in essence the superb is a big German saloon made in Czechoslovakia (sorry Czech Republic ) as for it being stuck at the dealers for so long the reason for that is I ordered it in September for a March delivery and the dealer thought the lead time was a lot longer and ordered it straight away, not ecstatic about that but hey ho 

It does seem like a long time to wait, but if it works for you that’s all that matters. I’m sure the dealer will make sure it’s in tip-top condition for the eventual handover (though I’d make a point of asking them to do just that just to be on the safe side).

You’ll love it when you get your hands on it.

Edited by MorrisOx

5 hours ago, MorrisOx said:

It does seem like a long time to wait, but if it works for you that’s all that matters. I’m sure the dealer will make sure it’s in tip-top condition for the eventual handover (though I’d make a point of asking them to do just that just to be on the safe side).

You’ll love it when you get your hands on it.

Yes really looking forward to it, they are such a good looking car, 

i only when in for a browse and ended up ordering it there and then, I must learn to stay out of showrooms 

It was the part of leaving a brand new car outside for months just to get a different plate (I don’t understand the UK plate system - the car is still a 2017 no matter what plate it has). But hey ho, that’s just me :)

20 minutes ago, GaSelle said:

It was the part of leaving a brand new car outside for months just to get a different plate (I don’t understand the UK plate system - the car is still a 2017 no matter what plate it has). But hey ho, that’s just me :)

Yes you are completely right, but couldn’t pick it up till March as my present lease doesn’t run out till feb 28th and I can’t afford the payments on both, I ordered early because I once had to wait 2 months for an Audi I had ordered and it was promised April and arrived June very inconvenient. It was the dozey dealer got his lead times wrong, though it will be nice to be the only one on the street with an 18 plate 

19 hours ago, MorrisOx said:

So the countdown begins: just had an email to tell me my Superb is now at a port in Germany, awaiting shipping...

Says the man who said he wouldn't watch the clock. :)

Do not blame you. I would be like a kid waiting for Christmas Day

4 minutes ago, Gerrycan said:

Says the man who said he wouldn't watch the clock. :)

Do not blame you. I would be like a kid waiting for Christmas Day

Didn't say I wouldn’t check the calendar...

• Haha 1

Grimsby: where the air’s full of the aroma of sea breezes and burnt clutches.

And if you can’t get a job as a driver there’s plenty to do in dent repairs...

Edited by MorrisOx
  • Haha 1

Had a look at mine at the dealers. Sitting outside, looking forlorn and dirty. I kick myself now for not listening to the missus and should have gone for the beige alcantara/ leather interior rather than the black all leather :sadsmile:

Edited by xman

Don't worry xman - you will soon get to know and love the black. I had beige leather on my SII Greenline, black alcantara on my SII SE+ and now have black leather on the SIII L&K - looks and feels fantastic IMHO, especially with the heated seats, which as far as I know aren't available with alcantara. What external colour did you go for? And most importantly, when do you get your hands on it?

1st March, cappuccino, so interior in black more appropriate I suppose. They had a anthracite grey model in the showroom with the beige interior which looked really nice.

My initial reasoning was a dog with muddy paws might not be best for the beige alcantara. But we always cover the back seat with a sheet for her. Plus the beige plastic glovebox put me off, when I sat in one last year.

I thought the heated seat options were the same, but never mind, its too late now. Just hope the leather seats aren't too cold in winter or hot/sweaty in summer.

Showroom cars always look better than in real life is the lesson.

My black alcantara seats are heated, and very nice, too. :)

I hardly ever even think about switching the seats heat on, having never had the luxury before. But, I did two long trip this month and set my seat on the lowest setting for the whole trip. Lovely. All these things you didn't know you needed!

37 minutes ago, xman said:

I thought the heated seat options were the same, but never mind, its too late now. Just hope the leather seats aren't too cold in winter or hot/sweaty in summer.

If you haven't had them, you won't miss them. But like most luxuries, once you have them you would never want to go back. I don't have the ventilated seats, for example and I suspect I won't miss them in summer - but I bet those who have them swear by them.

23 minutes ago, freelunch said:

My black alcantara seats are heated, and very nice, too. :)

I hardly ever even think about switching the seats heat on, having never had the luxury before. But, I did two long trip this month and set my seat on the lowest setting for the whole trip. Lovely. All these things you didn't know you needed!

Thanks for that Freelunch. Heated alcantara sounds like potentially the best of all worlds!

41 minutes ago, xman said:

Showroom cars always look better than in real life is the lesson.

If yours is anything like mine, by the time you pick it up it will look every bit as good as the one in the showroom. While I didn't get to see it, I believe mine was parked unloved on a forecourt during the month between putting down the deposit and picking up the car. It looked immaculate when I finally got my hands on it.