Fabia VRS realistic fuel economy

fabjrs

14 hours ago, fabjrs said:

Wow you got 50mpg out of a jeep! thats quite impressive

Yep, modern jeeps ain't as bad as they used to be. But mine did have the VW diesel engine fitted. Mind when it went bang that mpg went to no more than 15mpg months crawl to my garage. Soon got rid.

It's hit or miss with getting a good mpg, but if you drive at 40 you'll get high mpg and cheese off everyone stuck behind you, best I've had out of a brim filled tank was 585 miles from South Wales to Aberdeen, 10hrs of driving, 585 divide by 50 litres equals 11.7 multiply by 4.5 litres (gallon) is 52.65mpg. Is it serviced, how good are the injectors, fuel filter changed. 

I've only measured my actual consumption on two occasions, the first was a near 1000 mile round trip to Holland - mostly motorway, definitly not driving with economy in mind - where the car avaraged 54mpg. The second was over the course of a month when I was working about 15miles from home, mostly B roads and small villages. Driving normally I achieved around 57 / 58 mpg.

Car is a 2006 Fabia VRS, completely standard as far as I can tell.

On 13/01/2018 at 16:53, stuart vrs said:

It's hit or miss with getting a good mpg, but if you drive at 40 you'll get high mpg and cheese off everyone stuck behind you, best I've had out of a brim filled tank was 585 miles from South Wales to Aberdeen, 10hrs of driving, 585 divide by 50 litres equals 11.7 multiply by 4.5 litres (gallon) is 52.65mpg. Is it serviced, how good are the injectors, fuel filter changed. 

I love driving my ickle 1.4 mighty 8 valve slowly.....if nothing else at to p*** those flash f***era off in BMW's or other big motors. LMFAO.

I find best economy in vrs achieved by accelerating briskly, up to around 60mph then maintaining it until you need to slow down. Take roundabouts swiftly if safe without slowing too much, then accelerate out of it hard and then keep 60 again. Getting stuck behind the 40/50mph brigade who take 3 miles to accelerate up to speed is not good for diesel economy. My old petrol fabia benefitted from driving slower (40mph) with gentle acceleration but driving like that would just be irresponsible holding up traffic. One of the things which annoys me most is the 40mph drivers who do the speed everywhere believing its most economical and safe, then you try overtake (when legal) and they stick on their high beams, usually nissan squashqai drivers who are the worse. 

I only get 40-45mpg driving steadily behind traffic along A-roads, or at night when its clear I can get 50mpg when pushing on hard. Motorways economy seems to be the same whether its cruise control at 70mph or driving a bit quicker to pass the middle lane hoggers, then letting off speed again once back into inside lane.

Some people seem to claim fantastic economy upwards of 60 when driving carefully, but i've never seen this high. Seems to me that my vrs does very good economy when driving hard, but when driven carefully it just doesn't return good enough economy to justify the boring speeds.

• Like 1

Thanks to all for those suggestions, I did have a play with the timing at the weekend and it was reading 0.5 to start with. Managed to get it back to 0 degrees but unfortunately no difference in economy. I just cannot understand what it is that may be causing the low economy, its a well serviced car with all the usual suspect parts been changed, other than the fuel temp sensor which will be my next thing to change.

As somebody posted previously I think - this is the worst time of year to be worrying about mpg (assuming you are experiencing low ambient temps at the moment).

I always reckon on losing 3 - 5 mpg during cold winter weather,we have a 1.9 PD fabia - on a nice warm morning the mickey mouse mpg readout will be above 45 mpg within 5 miles.On a cold winter morning it will take much longer to get above 45 mpg (sometimes 10 - 15 miles depending on ambient temp and traffic speed).

If your car is running ok and sounds ok,brakes not binding and tyre pressures correct my advice would be to  just relax until the spring.

In summer our mickey mouse mpg readout occasionally gets up to 65 but I would never claim anywhere near that as an overall true average.