Diesel vs petrol VRS

So I currently have a 2016 VRS diesel estate and whilst I really like the car, I feel that the diesel is just lacking power. It simply doesn't feel fast and is no faster than any other 2.0ltr diesel on the road even though it wears the vrs crown.  Is the petrol the same?? I know it has more horse power but then I presume less torque and how many miles do you see from a tank of fuel in the petrol version.?

I am really tempted  to change to the petrol version, even if it means putting up with the new front end.

My Petrol vRS is in for some warranty paintwork and they've given my a Diesel vRS - not a bad car - but nowhere as nice to drive as my Petrol vRS. Seems to run out of puff and revs quickly.

Oddly it is a manual and it has the vRS brake and clutch pedals but a black plastic accelerator pedal :blush::blink:

This is the natural characteristic of a diesel engine - torque at low revs, so no need for high power at high revs.

A remap will increase power to match its petrol counterpart & a huge amount of torque. The CUPA engine has seen around ~500Nm.

don't get me wrong the diesel is fantastic, very smooth in its delivery, but I find on the motorway drag Mondeo man is just as quick in a standard version.

I was hoping people would say they are seeing 400miles out of tank in the petrol.

I have a standard (220) petrol VRS and got to drive a diesel version around Thruxton and was really under-whelmed. Perfectly OK in many respects, fast-ish, grunt, etc but I really missed the top end of the petrol, the extra pace, and noise over 4,000 rpm and the diesel felt a bit more prone to understeer too. If you fancy a more sporty experience, I don't think the petrol version will let you down, although I have been looking at a second-hand Audi A4 for the Quattro combined with 2.0 TSI with a bit more power.

I understand the remap argument, but you shouldn't have to buy a fast car and then get it mapped to be fast, if that makes sense. I would hate to map it and then loose any of the warranty plus I plan to hand the car back in a year and a half if I decide to keep it. my main concern is a 15K a year mileage, I worry I will spend all my time at the pumps.

1 hour ago, Danvw said:

don't get me wrong the diesel is fantastic, very smooth in its delivery, but I find on the motorway drag Mondeo man is just as quick in a standard version.

I was hoping people would say they are seeing 400miles out of tank in the petrol.

If you can afford to I would swap the TDI for the TSI, which is silky smooth and pulls strongly right to the redline. if you drive at 70-75mph true speed on long runs in the warmer weather you will see 40+ Mpg. See attached from last summer. A stage 1 remap for the petrol transforms a quickish car into a really nippy one with 480lb torque. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Redboy

7 minutes ago, Danvw said:

I understand the remap argument, but you shouldn't have to buy a fast car and then get it mapped to be fast, if that makes sense. I would hate to map it and then loose any of the warranty plus I plan to hand the car back in a year and a half if I decide to keep it. my main concern is a 15K a year mileage, I worry I will spend all my time at the pumps.

I am swapping my TDI VRS for a TSI. I’ll be mapping that straight away. Full APR stage 2 ;)

Remap will help the diesel, and diesel does have a higher peak torque, but the petrol has a flat torque curve across a larger rev range band.  The petrol also has benefits beyond outright speed; it's far more refined and smooth. I've never felt like it's short on performance day-to-day. Petrol is currently cheaper too (though I can see this changing now everyone is switching to petrol again).

As for miles to tank, I usually get somewhere between 380 and 400 depending on how many shorter journeys I've done in a week. My daily commute is 23 miles each way, predominantly motorway. 220 DSG here with the 6 speeder.

I'm at about 16k a year at the moment and the fuel costs aren't horrendous - about £180 a month at an average of 38mpg from mixed usage.

I'm not sure the differences would be enough to make me switch from a diesel to a petrol if I already owned a diesel. A remap is going to be far cheaper to satisfy the desire for extra power.

Edited by ahenners
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Redboy said:

A stage 1 remap for the petrol transforms a quickish car into a really nippy one with 480lb torque. 

shouldnt this be 480NM???? and even then thats rs3 territory for torque

Edited by stepdavi
  • Like 1

Diesel vRS is not about performance. Although it's ok.

Here are few highway tests that were performed by friends of mine. White is 184hp facelift vRS diesel DSG with light wheels.

First 1.4 TSI stock vs diesel vRS

Then stock petrol 230 DSG vs the diesel. One time just the petrol had wheel spin and lost the start but see how it catches up later on. 

25 minutes ago, stepdavi said:

shouldnt this be 480NM???? and even then thats rs3 territory for torque

Apologies, thank you are right, I stand corrected, I just checked the picture from the rolling road, it is 480 Nm. I am from the inches and lb generation not Kg and cm :blush ...and get easily confused. Either way it has more than enough torque. 

• Like 1

I test drove the diesel vrs and the 230 Vrs so I ordered a 245 vrs haha.

anyway the diesel vrs felt identical to my remapped VW Tiguan (190) I was a bit disappointed in it to be honest. Petrol all the way for me, if I was doing big miles then I’d probably consider a diesel Audi or something similar. For me personally it seems like the the diesel Vrs is like an R-line, S-line,M sport etc kind a car should be called the Skoda Octavia 2.0tdi vrs -line

21 minutes ago, Redboy said:

Apologies, thank you are right, I stand corrected, I just checked the picture from the rolling road, it is 480 Nm. I am from the inches and lb generation not Kg and cm :blush ...and get easily confused. Either way it has more than enough torque. 

Yep, mine's 288bhp and 467NM ... More than enough for FWD. :biggrin:

Don't do the miles to justify a diesel, drove a couple petrol and diesel back to back and have to say the petrol just feel far more alive and eager beyond the power difference. Came from a 300bhp hatch and other than the laughable front end traction it feels quite adequate in comparison when you want to progress along a B road.

My old car would make a joke of it if pushed hard but a Megane has a crap boot and is a pita to drive day to day.

Same here, test drove a Diesel Manual Hatch and a Petrol DSG Combi. I ordered the 230 DSG Hatch as it felt so much more refined and had what felt like never ending power (I’m currently driving a Qashqai 1.5 Diesel with 115 of Sunderland’s finest asthmatic horses under the bonnet)

Having had 2 GTi’s both 2.0 DSG I kind of knew what I’d end up with.

Diesel is still a good car but I’ve not got the mileage any more to justify it.

1 minute ago, Ant-Vrs said:

220 tsi dsg estate love the power and surprising alot people on the road at stage 2 330bhp and 520nm of torque but it will be stage 3 soon  at around 400bhp 

What have you had done?

im looking at stage 2 APR initially. Or I may wait 6 months and go the full Revo stage 4 with 410/420 bhp. 

Thats why ive gone manual I was told the DSG can struggle with the extra power. 

Edited by Tim1631