Confusing info about multilink in 1.5

Hi!

Can anyone who has gotten their 1.5 TSO EVO delivered shed some light over the rear suspension (torsion bar vs multilink). Read an article online y-day from a german site:

http://www.meinauto.de/testberichte/skoda-octavia-combi-clever-im-test-2017-sparen-mit-dem-sondermodell

And if you translate half way down it says that the DCC option is only available on models/engines with 150hp or more..

"..The adaptable chassis builds Skoda only with the engines from 150 hp, because only with them comes behind a multi-link axle for use..."

Is this true? The 1.5 has the DCC option (I actually added it to my order). Does that mean that is has multilink or what?

//HaggeJr

Not sure but the outgoing 1.4 was definitely torsion bar. Unless I'm mistaken the only 2WD multilink Octavias in the UK are the VRS models. 

Pretty sure DCC can be had with torsion bar.

Edited by juan27

Yes that has been my stand point as well and that was the reason for me to go with DCC in the first place.  I just got confused by the article since it said (based on the so so google translate) that Multilink was a prerequisite for DCC...so I got my hopes up....

But thanks for clearifying. I will get my car on monday so I'll just get on my knees and double check :cool:

//H

Edited by HaggeJr

• 1 month later...

@HaggeJr, how are you satisfied with DCC and torsion beam ? I had a chance to compare multilink in Golf MK7.5 Variant and Octavia Estate with torsion beam (both 1.4 / 150bhp) and the sound difference was noticeable on the bad road. I am curious if DCC can make rear end quieter over the ruff surface. How do you perceive noise from back? Is it still bass rumbling over the pot holes , speed bumps..?

Thanks

Don't get too hung-up about torsion-bar versus multi-link. Multi-link is only of benefit if the engineers have taken time to optimise it's setup. Most Fords with torsion-bar suspension will out-ride and out-handle most VAG equivalent multi-link equipped cars. The Fiesta/Focus/Mondeo are cases in-point - simple suspension that beats just about every other car in clase.

I do not advocate the purchase of Ford's, but they are generally superior to drive.

Edited by Orville
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am definitely not hung up. I have to say that I like handling of Octavia more, that's also why I want to buy it.  But the torsion beam is definitely louder. I did use the sound meter in both cars (same road, same spot of measurement) and although average was 1-2 db,  spikes after wheel hit bump/hole was ranging from 5-12 db in favor of multilink. Now I am curious if DCC can change this at least a bit.. If so I m happy to pay on top.

18 hours ago, Orville said:

Don't get too hung-up about torsion-bar versus multi-link. Multi-link is only of benefit if the engineers have taken time to optimise it's setup. Most Fords with torsion-bar suspension will out-ride and out-handle most VAG equivalent multi-link equipped cars. The Fiesta/Focus/Mondeo are cases in-point - simple suspension that beats just about every other car in clase.

I do not advocate the purchase of Ford's, but they are generally superior to drive.

Can’t speak for the Fiesta, but neither the Focus nor the Mondeo use torsion beams. Both have a form of independent rear suspension.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, xman said:

As DCC on Octavia is more expensive than on Superb (around £200 more iirc) I wouldn't be surprised if it comes with the multilink instead of torsion beam.

In specs sheet multilink is mentioned just for 1.8 or 4x4. I read Czech forum and one owner confirmed that he has DCC mounted with torsion. He also said it is worth the money as difference between modes is noticeable and car is much better handling compared to O3 preFL.  He is also not experiencing the ''loudness", but that just might be a different level of noise acceptance. The only way is to A/B both cars but I can't find a dealer who has DCC mounted with torsion.

On 2018-02-26 at 11:51, AJvenSG said:

@HaggeJr, how are you satisfied with DCC and torsion beam ? I had a chance to compare multilink in Golf MK7.5 Variant and Octavia Estate with torsion beam (both 1.4 / 150bhp) and the sound difference was noticeable on the bad road. I am curious if DCC can make rear end quieter over the ruff surface. How do you perceive noise from back? Is it still bass rumbling over the pot holes , speed bumps..?

Thanks

HI! 

Since this is the first Octavia that I own (and I haent driven others) I cant really compare. Since I got the car mid january and live in Sweden I've had winter tires (Goodyear Ultragrip ICE 2 205/50R17) on from day 1 and since they are softer, higher profile and not so wide as the summer ones maybe its hard to know how much they dampen the road and bump noise. I have tried the DCC a couple of time and you do feel difference between the modes but on winter surface I mainly have it on normal.

My car came with the Double-sided boot mat wich is quite thick so that may have an effect on the sound/resonance as well +  a have the Canton sound system with the woofer in the back and I alaways have music playing so... :)

My previous car was a Mercedes A Class 200d MY2016 and i dont find the Octavia louder, then of course i went from Diesel to Petrol...

I can confirm that the 1.5 with DCC comes with torsion bar...

//Hagge

17 minutes ago, HaggeJr said:

HI! 

Since this is the first Octavia that I own (and I haent driven others) I cant really compare. Since I got the car mid january and live in Sweden I've had winter tires (Goodyear Ultragrip ICE 2 205/50R17) on from day 1 and since they are softer, higher profile and not so wide as the summer ones maybe its hard to know how much they dampen the road and bump noise. I have tried the DCC a couple of time and you do feel difference between the modes but on winter surface I mainly have it on normal.

My car came with the Double-sided boot mat wich is quite thick so that may have an effect on the sound/resonance as well +  a have the Canton sound system with the woofer in the back and I alaways have music playing so... :)

My previous car was a Mercedes A Class 200d MY2016 and i dont find the Octavia louder, then of course i went from Diesel to Petrol...

I can confirm that the 1.5 with DCC comes with torsion bar...

//Hagge

Thanks for the Info :)

I am ordering next Monday with DCC and 2nd floor.. I will report my feelings after first rides in few months.

On ‎26‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 15:16, Orville said:

depends on the car...I've driven the torsion bar version of mine & the torsion bar in the lighter hatch & both handle worse than my multilink 140PS MK7 Golf estate...

As the Octavia is MQB and 2inch longer in wheel base than the MK7 Golf MQB I would say for the bigger & longer car that multilink would be advantageous...