Android Radio

Please guys help me:)

I have dead columbus 2-no sound...the repair is too expensive.

Please can anybody tell me if is an android good option and works good?

Pleas can somebody tell me wich android radio should i buy for my octavia 3 2013 for replacing my columbus.

Is there needed wires cutting?

Will work the voice control,can there change settings for car,like i have drive profil,lights,interior brightnes,tpms,mirrors,light assistant,locking and all the things....wil this work and can be settings audijustable on android radio? Will the navigations work on board comupter  on spedo mind kmh and rpms lcd...and radio stations,and phone...will be displeyed there or just on radio?

Can i use the original usb port and aux?

Will be all options on android radio like was bee on columbus and all setings.

And pleas can anybody tell me witch radio must i buy to have all this feauture avalibele.

This? : http://www.vag-navisystems.com/equipos-especificos-windows/4703/navegador-multimedia-skoda-octavia-iii-5e-2-din-8-hd-gps-dvd-ipod-usb-sd-bt-s100/1418?en=1

Pleas help

Edited by Skodilakrs1

I think it is worth a try, it claims to maintain all the functionality of the OEM Unit but you will only find out if you buy it and install it. No one can tell for sure from that web page and video.

You may end up with DAB/FM/Media and Phone integration but no deeper functionality for your Vehicle preferences but thats more than you have now and only you will be able to make the decision if that level of functionality is worth the price you pay against having nothing today.

Im also interested in this.  Been disappointed with the Bolero headunit from day 1 after having a Mitsumi connector factory fitted to my Octavia (got the £100 back, but they wouldnt replace with a USB connector)

Im now on an Android phone, so keen to replace the bolero with a headunit that supports Android auto or mirroring or the like.

Am surprised there isnt much information about this, I guess significant majority of Octavia mk3 drivers are happy with the functionality of the Bolero.

Thats sux....the head unit cost me 1000e..and not by the skoda.. Private. By the skoda is 1500e+  And they dont guaranted that is the head unit failure.  So thats crazy!

I will buy android IF can i audjust all car settings,phone,and navigation on mini lcd board computer between kmh and rpm. 

But,that dont know enybody,if thats wil work!

Thanx

1 hour ago, Skodilakrs1 said:

Nobody know for an good android radio? 

I haven't seen a single report of anyone on this forum fitting one, so you are pretty much on virgin territory there ;)

there are loads of options most have full canbus integration and more. Its on my list of upgrades as i have the bog standard Balero 

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20180116044645&isPremium=y&SearchText=skoda+octavia+a5+android+octa+core

Edited by JohnnyType2

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, bstginger said:

After having a quick scan on eBay I would say probably not at the prices being sold for!

£280 - What were you expecting to pay?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKODA-SUPERB-OCTAVIA-MULTIMEDIA-MMI-MAIN-UNIT-GPS-NAVIGATION-MIB2-3V0035020/323088420279?hash=item4b39920db7:g:4~cAAOSw4-lajEP5

Coding is charged at however long it takes to do, up to 1hr I was told + smartlink activation on top

Edited by Dave77
  • Like 1

Sorry Dave - my response looked like I was being unrealistic!  Is that all that I require?  

When I read your original post I assumed I would need to get a whole system like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skoda-SuperB-3V-Radio-Navigationsystem-Columbus-MIB2-DAB-Anzeige-3V0035020-B/132334162264?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49926%26meid%3D2de8fef38bd84b969f8bdd6b4051863d%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D323088420279%26itm%3D132334162264&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

had another scan & could only find units around the £800 mark:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Skoda-OEM-Part-Columbus-Navigation-Headunit-MIB2-with-DAB-with-SIM/122795121000?hash=item1c9728d968:g:tgwAAOSwE-laAIoh

Around £300 + whatever Skoda charge seems worthwhile compared to cost of fitting a whole new system.  Thanks for your help

Edited by bstginger

That 1st link is for a Superb, the screen won't fit the Octavia.

The £800 unit has component protection + smartlink done already so will work immediately.

That £280 unit I posted above is a very good price, I just paid £350 for the same model.

If you currently have a MIB1 you'll also need to update your USB plug below the heater controls, about £10 from ebay

Then software coding for about £150. If you have MIB1 Columbus you can use your existing screen. Most places only crack the Harman units though, certainly all the UK outlets I contacted could only do Harman ones. My MIB2 Amundsen retrofit will cost me about £430 all in before selling my Bolero. Might get £100 for that and the screen if I'm lucky.

5 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

Then software coding for about £150. If you have MIB1 Columbus you can use your existing screen. Most places only crack the Harman units though, certainly all the UK outlets I contacted could only do Harman ones. My MIB2 Amundsen retrofit will cost me about £430 all in before selling my Bolero. Might get £100 for that and the screen if I'm lucky.

did you need gps reciever etc?

• Like 1

I did as I was converting from a Bolero. They are about £7 on eBay, any FAKRA connection GPS antenna will do. I was lucky in that I was able to get the radio, screen and USB from the same car which was accident damaged. The USB wasn’t listed for sale so I called them, they went to the car, took it out and put the whole panel in the box as a freebie. I would have used it, but it was scratched so I swapped the USB’s over and used my original panel. In the UK I’m sure all Bolero’s in vRSes have BT and Voice Control, so that’s all pre wired ready to go. My radio has landed in Poland, I’ll know shortly how it’s all going :) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dave77 said:

That 1st link is for a Superb, the screen won't fit the Octavia.

The £800 unit has component protection + smartlink done already so will work immediately.

That £280 unit I posted above is a very good price, I just paid £350 for the same model.

If you currently have a MIB1 you'll also need to update your USB plug below the heater controls, about £10 from ebay

There in lies another problem. I stupidly got the Mitsui lightning connector fitted when I bought it!

i have a bolero unit so guessing I need to go similar route to Sasha 

I don’t know about the Mitsumi, I assume that’s coded to the head unit though, so you could swap out the whole thing and get a new lower USB and Aux trim from the donor car (or I have a spare should anyone want it, be warned, it’s not ‘as new’ and the USB clip is damaged at the top, still holds the USB steady though). It’s certainly easier to swap to Columbus, as there are plenty of UK people who can remotely code the Harman units, but it’s all £££. For me, the Amundsen with the FL 8 inch screen is the way to go. I could have had a 2018 Amundsen and screen from the guy who’s coding mine for a very reasonable sum, but I don’t have the spare funds right now, I’ll upgrade to the new screen down the line. Shame though, as with that setup all the buttons would work properly. For now though, the 6.5 inch screen is still an improvement from the 5.8 inch screen. I love the glossy FL look though with the new climate panel so I am looking out to make my interior FL style down the line :)

9 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

I love the glossy FL look though with the new climate panel so I am looking out to make my interior FL style down the line :)

The climate panel is just a piece of trim isn't it, I presumed it would need a whole new climate unit. Should make the change cheaper! I've not seen any used on ebay though.

Edited by Dave77