Foldable Tables

terrapin

I had a look at the Karoq today and really liked, apart from the foldable tables built into the backrests of the front seats. They really take away from the rear leg room, especially for any adults sat in the back. Long journeys aren't going to be much fun with knees knocking against hard plastic, it also renders the seat back pockets rather unusable. Unfortunately every version of the Karoq available in the UK comes with them as standard. The dealer's response of "well just leave them folded down" rather missed the point.

It would be nice to be able to deselect them as an option. The German and Czech specification cars don't have the foldable tables as standard and so seats must be available without them. I have a suspicion that the early reviews which mentioned generous rear leg-room were based on European spec cars without the foldable tables.

Has anyone else had a similar thought or any ideas?

Like you, I'm not convinced of the benefit. My lad clambered into the back seats of ours today. He pulled down one of the trays and then struggled to get it back up again. The dealers response of "just leave them down" is crap because until my lad got it folded back up, he couldn't get out. I'd have to say, they looked pretty flimsy, but it was dark. I'll have a look tomorrow in daylight. Again, although it was dark, I don't remember seeing any drinks holder in it either. Don't know if they can be removed, but I can't imagine that they'd make different seats for different markets.

is this Foldable Tray disrespect thread? I am in!

Here my gripe on this junk:

- Ruins premium look of the rear cabin and shape of the front seats

- Flimsy

- Folds out wrong way, down > up

- Reduces knee space - good point

- I can imagine my daughter in baby chair knocking it with her feet all the time for fun

I did look at it as to how it is attached and looks like its screwed straight leather to the seat frame 

this will be my first mod, remove and try seal the leather holes!

I'm not sure why they are a standard fit and not an extra. I think they are for a particular market, ie if you travel with young children regularly, not an odd journey.

I had them on a VW Touran and found them useful when the boys were young. They were discreet, took up little if any room and were robust. But I would not need them now and would prefer to be without.

Colin

Looked to me like the table assembly was attached to the seat back with a handful of easily accessible Phillips head screws. Would be very interested to know if it can be removed, and whether the screws could then be screwed back in flush to plug up the resulting holes in the seat back.

If anyone attempts this please do post some pictures.

• Like 1

On 12/01/2018 at 23:13, vadimo said:

is this Foldable Tray disrespect thread? I am in!

Here my gripe on this junk:

- Ruins premium look of the rear cabin and shape of the front seats

- Flimsy

- Folds out wrong way, down > up

- Reduces knee space - good point

- I can imagine my daughter in baby chair knocking it with her feet all the time for fun

I did look at it as to how it is attached and looks like its screwed straight leather to the seat frame 

this will be my first mod, remove and try seal the leather holes!

I've a theory on why the tables fold out and up to use, it's so if you do happen to have the table open whilst driving (not recommended for obvious reasons) there'll be less of an injury as they should collapse on impact from someone.  If they opened like a train seat table then they wouldn't be able to collapse so easily. 

1 hour ago, Englando said:

I've a theory on why the tables fold out and up to use, it's so if you do happen to have the table open whilst driving (not recommended for obvious reasons) there'll be less of an injury as they should collapse on impact from someone.  If they opened like a train seat table then they wouldn't be able to collapse so easily. 

good one, I think most of people's complaint is that it can't be removed from build 

but then if you make it an option then there will be people moaning that Skoda is ripping them off

can't win really

Edited by vadimo

Skoda UK have confirmed that the folding tables are standard on all UK spec cars and that they can't be deselected.

May well go with a Golf instead. As a result of the folding tables in the Karoq I've found it's actually more comfortable for adults in the back of the Golf.

Definitely a strange choice to install these as standard.  We're glad to have them but only because we have two kids aged 7 and 10 and the tabled are ideal.  Would have added them if they had been an option instead.

But when the kids are older we'll probably prefer to not have them. 

39 minutes ago, terrapin said:

Skoda UK have confirmed that the folding tables are standard on all UK spec cars and that they can't be deselected.

May well go with a Golf instead. As a result of the folding tables in the Karoq I've found it's actually more comfortable for adults in the back of the Golf.

I must remember this one, usually people look at engine, performance, practicality, efficiency and etc

• Like 1

Hehe - may seem like a strange reason but there's some thought behind it!

Engine, performance, efficiency, equipment levels and size are pretty much identical given the common platform and engine (1.5 TSI) between Karoq and Golf. Comparing Karoq SEL and Golf GT trims also gives pretty similar levels of kit for a similar price.

One key reason for the purchase is to have a car that can carry 4 adults in comfort on longer journeys. I'm 6'1" and have been trying out 'sitting behind myself' in a few cars. The underlying rear leg room in the Karoq seems to be pretty much identical to the Golf, except for the folding tables. Whereas knees might graze soft cloth if they touch the seat backs in the Golf they knock against hard plastic in the Karoq. It's a tiny difference but may *just* swing it away from the Karoq. Which is a shame because I prefer the SUV-ness of the Karoq (and the better load carrying with the VarioFlex seats out).

The situation regarding leg room is actually slightly better with the non-VarioFlex seats as you gain a centimeter or two of leg room. However then you obviously lose the flexibility of the VarioFlex seats. 

Seriously wondering what it would look like if the folding tables were removed and the screws simply put back in to plug up the holes. If it were simple to do and gave a neat  result I could probably live with that. Not sure that a dealer would appreciate me trying that out in the showroom though!

19 minutes ago, terrapin said:

Engine, performance, efficiency, equipment levels and size are pretty much identical given the common platform and engine (1.5 TSI) between Karoq and Golf. Comparing Karoq SEL and Golf GT trims also gives pretty similar levels of kit for a similar price.

One key reason for the purchase is to have a car that can carry 4 adults in comfort on longer journeys. I'm 6'1" and have been trying out 'sitting behind myself' in a few cars. The underlying rear leg room in the Karoq seems to be pretty much identical to the Golf, except for the folding tables. Whereas knees might graze soft cloth if they touch the seat backs in the Golf they knock against hard plastic in the Karoq. It's a tiny difference but may *just* swing it away from the Karoq. Which is a shame because I prefer the SUV-ness of the Karoq (and the better load carrying with the VarioFlex seats out).

The situation regarding leg room is actually slightly better with the non-VarioFlex seats as you gain a centimeter or two of leg room. However then you obviously lose the flexibility of the VarioFlex seats. 

Seriously wondering what it would look like if the folding tables were removed and the screws simply put back in to plug up the holes. If it were simple to do and gave a neat  result I could probably live with that. Not sure that a dealer would appreciate me trying that out in the showroom though!

how about i come over and unscrew these to get you to stay with Karoq, i might also have cosmetic solution by then.

Based on what i seen, there are 3 fixing points but dont know how many screws per each point, i imagine its one. I think the neatest way will be is to get panel trim screws/clips, these are usually flat/dome head plugs that you click in and pry out like these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-MK2-GOLF-DOOR-CARD-PANEL-TRIM-CLIPS-BUNG-INTERIOR/400830090685

there are many different types, now if its beige like mine than there i another job of maybe spraying them to match colour

Thank you for offering, I'd certainly be interested to see what you find. Hopefully there are just some small holes in the fabric that the original screws might cover up (perhaps with a washer if need be). 

For anyone else still reading along (well done for hanging in there!) I have one final observation. The Tiguan also has the same folding tables as standard on most trim levels. However the Tiguan is a quarter size bigger than the Karoq and it turns out that much of that extra space is in the rear seats, and hence the folding tables don't intrude. The lack of the 1.5 TSI DSG engine means it's probably out of running for me unfortunately.

Oh and as a tangential aside, the rear leg room in the T-Roc is surprisingly not close to that in the Golf (ditto for the boot space).

13 hours ago, terrapin said:

I am very much in the same boat which makes me think there must be plenty more like us. I'm 6'3" and have children that will be as tall as me in the lifetime of the next car that I buy. Whilst some people may find it odd that i'd cite foldable tables as a make-or-break aspect of buying a car, it absolutely is - having a child with their knees hard-up against a hard plastic tray (rather than a soft back of a seat) is much more important to me than a couple of miles extra mpg or other (usually pointless) standard levels of spec. Coming from a Focus, I'm keen to buy a crossover/SUV type car (Driving position, kids, stuff, dog etc..) and whilst most reviews rave about the amount of rear leg room that the Karoq has, I have found that not to be the case - and the tables are the reason for that. It makes it all the more odd that they cannot be de-selected from standard spec. I have to say I love all other aspects of the Karoq but smashing my children's kneecaps to pieces is most definitely a deal breaker - which seems a shame.

Agree completely with regards to the Tiguan - rear leg room is in a differant ball park to Karoq (Massively bigger even with the tables) but the apparent lack of availability of the 1.4 TSI (150) engine makes it a difficult one.

Terrapin - just wondered if you have seen any other cars that fit your brief? Mazda Cx5?

Glad it's not just me finding this to be a problem! I've looked (on paper) at the BMW X-series, Mercedes GLA, Mazda CX-series and Toyota C-HR without much joy. I specifically want a petrol engine with decent power and fuel economy, with a good automatic gearbox, and ideally 4x4. The 1.5 TSI DSG ticks most of those boxes, though 4x4 versions don't seem to have appeared yet. VW group vehicles seem to be the best bet and I've looked (in person) at most of them now (except Audi, the Q3 looks really tired inside at this stage). May take a second look at the Ateca. Would welcome any other suggestions!

Yep, agree with everything that has been said about the tables. I'm also 6'1" and have been trying out the various VWG alternatives with the driving seat set for me and then trying the back. Started with the Audi Q2 - no chance! Q3 a bit better but it would really have to be a Q5 to match the rear legroom of the Yeti and is quite a bit bigger and obviously quite a bit more expensive than the Karoq. For all three I found a comfortable driving position.

Tried the Tiguan and the rear legroom was very good, again with a good driving position. From the dimensions I've seen the Tiguan actually isn't all that much bigger than the Karoq though it looks it, must be the more angular lines. I'm liking the Tiguan more and more but for me it also depends on the engine alternatives.

Haven't tried the Karoq yet but will probably find the same issue with the tables. Why do the manufacturers make such bad decisions? Probably to appeal to the family market but as said offer them as an extra. I'm sure that a satisfactory solution will be found for removal though.

I sat in the back of the Karoq when my wife test drove and found no issue with leg room.  Also sat in the middle seat (with a full booster with back and either side) and found it comfy, and good visibility through the windscreen.  The Varioflex are also wider than the standard back seat which means more room for 3 people. I loved the driving position too.  I'm 6ft so a little shorter a few of you in this thread but for me the Karoq is perfect. 

Edited by Englando
Added bit about booster seats.

I am 6ft5 and can just about squeeze behind my own driving position. I wouldn't call it comfortable in the back for me, but it would be okay for short journeys. Four 6-footers should be fine, but if you have more than two 6ft+ family members who use the car regularly, best look for something bigger. Removing the tables may reclaim 1cm of space, but that's unlikely to make much difference for the average family bundle. On the plus-side there is plenty of space for a big dog in the boot.

On 1/16/2018 at 16:33, Englando said:

I found out the reason yesterday - it is because they also act as book / tablet rests in the intermediate settings - there is a little lip on them which acts as a support for the bottom of the tablet.  They wouldn't be able to do if they dropped down.

Finally went and looked at the Karoq yesterday.

As with most cars the colour makes a big difference. Saw a silver one driving out which looked nice, a flat grey in the parking area which looked awful and accentuated the blandness and a metallic green (emerald?) in the show room with beige leather which looked really nice. At 6'1" I found a comfortable driving position but found the roof slightly low due to the panoramic sun-roof which annoys me that you have to have as with the L&K Yeti.

Then tried the rear seats. About the same amount of leg-room as my Yeti with the driving seat positioned for me and totally concur with what has been said. My knees were touching the tables and has said they look cheap and nasty and reduce the perceived quality of the interior, especially with the beige leather. Even with shorter passengers they would still be looking at that expanse of hard plastic. If I do buy one they'd definitely have to go so I hope a satisfactory solution is found.

On the way home I had another look at the Tiguan and it is really calling me. The interior certainly feels to be on another level (as it should be) and as said it is far more spacious. But frustratingly, and seems to increasingly the case nowadays, I can't have the engine and 2WD that I want. The deal breaker though is that it's just too big for my wife to drive and parking in multi-storey car-parks etc. would be a right pain - I've gone through that with an A6 estate. We won't have her Mini for those occasions so a smaller car like the Karoq it's got to be really.

4 hours ago, VAGCF said:

Finally went and looked at the Karoq yesterday.

As with most cars the colour makes a big difference. Saw a silver one driving out which looked nice, a flat grey in the parking area which looked awful and accentuated the blandness and a metallic green (emerald?) in the show room with beige leather which looked really nice. At 6'1" I found a comfortable driving position but found the roof slightly low due to the panoramic sun-roof which annoys me that you have to have as with the L&K Yeti.

Then tried the rear seats. About the same amount of leg-room as my Yeti with the driving seat positioned for me and totally concur with what has been said. My knees were touching the tables and has said they look cheap and nasty and reduce the perceived quality of the interior, especially with the beige leather. Even with shorter passengers they would still be looking at that expanse of hard plastic. If I do buy one they'd definitely have to go so I hope a satisfactory solution is found.

On the way home I had another look at the Tiguan and it is really calling me. The interior certainly feels to be on another level (as it should be) and as said it is far more spacious. But frustratingly, and seems to increasingly the case nowadays, I can't have the engine and 2WD that I want. The deal breaker though is that it's just too big for my wife to drive and parking in multi-storey car-parks etc. would be a right pain - I've gone through that with an A6 estate. We won't have her Mini for those occasions so a smaller car like the Karoq it's got to be really.

Karoq reviews say that interior feels and looks slightly better than Tiguan, no?

also isn't Tiguan same nearly size, just with more rear seats leg room but smaller boot?