Pedal box recommendations

18 hours ago, DjEatch said:

Aviva will, at no extra cost (but must be disclosed). I believe LV are the same. 

I've just spent 20 minutes on hold with Aviva and they've come back to say they won't insure me if I fit one.  You've got to love consistency :angry:

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, unclerichy said:

I've just spent 20 minutes on hold with Aviva and they've come back to say they won't insure me if I fit one.  You've got to love consistency :angry:

Ditto! Did the same earlier myself

15 minutes ago, byteme said:

Magic beans / Emperor's new clothes also available on eBay for those with more money than knowledge.

Yes, because all the people who have bought one and are happy with it must be wrong. And the companies that make them do it for the fun of it and manufacture a product that doesn’t do anything in the hope loads of people buy it and just keep to themselves that it doesn’t do anything. 

It annoys me that people post on here criticising other people’s choices. Yes, you could get more power by just pressing the pedal down harder but perhaps for some the standard pedal map doesn’t feel that nice. I’m sure we’ve all driven enough cars over the years to know that the throttle sensitivity can vary hugely between models. Some may like it super sensitive, others may prefer it less so. Each to their own I say. 

Again each to their own. I don’t really see how it’s any different from the power steering weight which can be adjusted in the driving modes. Some like it heavy others like it light. I think some people are getting their knickers in a twist because people talk about throttle response when what we are actually talking about is throttle sensitivity. 

As for the cost if you can afford to buy a £30k car I doubt a couple of hundred quid is going to break the bank. Some people spend more on cleaning products, lighting upgrades, expensive tyres etc. In fact if we’re going to start questioning how people spend their money, by that logic we could say anyone who buys a high spec or high performance model is a fool. After all a 1.4 petrol SE costs so much less than some other models but still gets you from A to B right? 

2 minutes ago, Kamikazekid said:

Again each to their own. I don’t really see how it’s any different from the power steering weight which can be adjusted in the driving modes. Some like it heavy others like it light. I think some people are getting their knickers in a twist because people talk about throttle response when what we are actually talking about is throttle sensitivity. 

As for the cost if you can afford to buy a £30k car I doubt a couple of hundred quid is going to break the bank. Some people spend more on cleaning products, lighting upgrades, expensive tyres etc. In fact if we’re going to start questioning how people spend their money, by that logic we could say anyone who buys a high spec or high performance model is a fool. After all a 1.4 petrol SE costs so much less than some other models but still gets you from A to B right? 

It's no different to switching between driving modes.

9 minutes ago, Kamikazekid said:

You did not just compare 1.4 petrol vs other engines like that... Throttle sensitivity will not save fuel (compared to diesels). It will not tow more cargo into hill... It will not allow car to accelerate faster for faster overtake... just what the hell? Better tyres can save your life... Some people spend a lot of time in their car so they prefer better sound system, better seats, etc etc... To me my car is almost 1/5 of all the time I actually DONT sleep. If there was no driving profile people would just get used to car lik they used to. Steering weight allows easier driving in town. Today people just seek more ways to play lazy. Steering weight is part of the car, officially done. Its not third party thing. 

The way how much you press accelerator pedal, adding additional chip that can ruin your car? What sort of logic is that?
ALL THIS **** DOES IS CHANGE HOW MUCH YOU MOVE YOUR DAMN LEG. 

P.S.: Yes some people are stupid buying products for car that are useless. But there is really good comment few posts above:

1 hour ago, byteme said:

Magic beans / Emperor's new clothes also available on eBay for those with more money than knowledge.

Edited by JackySi

2 minutes ago, JackySi said:

You did not just compare 1.4 petrol vs other engines like that... Throttle sensivitiy will not save fuel (compared to diesels). It will not tow more cargo into hill... It will not accelerate faster for faster overtake... just what the hell? Better tyres can save your life... 

Cleaning producs? expensive car, expensive products.

The way how much you press accelerator pedal, adding additional chip that can ruin your car? Finding more logic?

Placebo tuning, some nerd with a Ferrari will be laughing all the way to the showroom to order his next one

28 minutes ago, JackySi said:

You did not just compare 1.4 petrol vs other engines like that... Throttle sensitivity will not save fuel (compared to diesels). It will not tow more cargo into hill... It will not allow car to accelerate faster for faster overtake... just what the hell? Better tyres can save your life... Some people spend a lot of time in their car so they prefer better sound system, better seats, etc etc... To me my car is almost 1/5 of all the time I actually DONT sleep. If there was no driving profile people would just get used to car lik they used to. Steering weight allows easier driving in town. Today people just seek more ways to play lazy. Steering weight is part of the car, officially done. Its not third party thing. 

The way how much you press accelerator pedal, adding additional chip that can ruin your car? What sort of logic is that?
ALL THIS **** DOES IS CHANGE HOW MUCH YOU MOVE YOUR DAMN LEG. 

P.S.: Yes some people are stupid buying products for car that are useless. But there is really good comment few posts above:

I never said throttle sensitivity would save fuel. 

I drive a 190 L&K diesel so you’re preaching to the choir with your above points. You obviously misunderstood me, all the things you say above are a choice. You choose economy vs performance, luxury vs cost. Everyone’s needs and wants are subjective. You justify your choices based on your wants but choose to ridicule others because it’s not something that appeals to you. I’m not aware of anyone who has ruined their car by fitting a pedal box. People change the sensitivity or controls on their games console for personal preference, I don’t see that this is any different. I’m sure some people are stupid. Some people are also arrogant and opinionated. Despite all the evidence in this thread (and others) of people satisfied with their purchase you would still rather believe they are all stupid and you know better despite the fact you have clearly not even tried it for yourself. 

12 minutes ago, Kamikazekid said:

I never said throttle sensitivity would save fuel. 

I drive a 190 L&K diesel so you’re preaching to the choir with your above points. You obviously misunderstood me, all the things you say above are a choice. You choose economy vs performance, luxury vs cost. Everyone’s needs and wants are subjective. You justify your choices based on your wants but choose to ridicule others because it’s not something that appeals to you. I’m not aware of anyone who has ruined their car by fitting a pedal box. People change the sensitivity or controls on their games console for personal preference, I don’t see that this is any different. I’m sure some people are stupid. Some people are also arrogant and opinionated. Despite all the evidence in this thread (and others) of people satisfied with their purchase you would still rather believe they are all stupid and you know better despite the fact you have clearly not even tried it for yourself. 

On first page I literally wrote you can get a mini PC for 35€ that is MUCH smarter than this small piece of hardware that costs 200€ to adjust pedal sensitivity by adjusting signals that go through. I wrote there is no reason for which the price for this piece of crap would be justified. I also drive 190 diesel with a lot of options but all of these are SOME what reasonable price. Most of them add additional safety to the car. 

You haven't heard about it going wrong. I don't think every one who ever purchased the product are talking around here. Seriously I'm going to stop waste my time explaining my reasons why I think this is absolutely ridiculous thing to buy. Its a luxury not to have to press pedal down when accelerating. Are you kidding me? Why would I even have to try such a thing? I know exactly what it does, i drive various cars with different throttle responses ( ACTUALLY PEDAL SENSITIVITIES ) all the time.

I'm still after all expressing my thoughts for what forums were initially created. I never said you're not supposed to do so. 

P.S.: for 200€ you can buy normally working car here. 

Edited by JackySi

12 minutes ago, JackySi said:

On first page I literally wrote you can get a mini PC for 35€ that is MUCH smarter than this small piece of hardware that costs 200€ to adjust pedal sensitivity by adjusting signals that go through. I wrote there is no reason for which the price for this piece of crap would be justified. I also drive 190 diesel with a lot of options but all of these are SOME what reasonable price. Most of them add additional safety to the car. 

You haven't heard about it going wrong. I don't think every one who ever purchased the product are talking around here. Seriously I'm going to stop waste my time explaining my reasons why I think this is absolutely ridiculous thing to buy. Its a luxury not to have to press pedal down when accelerating. Are you kidding me? Why would I even have to try such a thing? I know exactly what it does, i drive various cars with different throttle responses ( ACTUALLY PEDAL SENSITIVITIES ) all the time.

I'm still after all expressing my thoughts for what forums were initially created. I never said you're not supposed to do so. 

JackySi, you can't reason with idiots who struggle to spell there own name let alone string a few sentences of code together or just use what is out there for free.

When a car goes in to a dealer everything within the on board diag' is uploaded to the manufacturer including all software modifications. If you have a car in warranty you may want to consider that along with everything your car has done prior to failure because it is all there.

1 hour ago, JackySi said:

A Raspberry Pi requires some knowledge of coding/programming which isn’t for everyone. Value for money is subjective, some people think iPhones are overpriced and others love them but let’s no go there! :D 

Plenty of people in this thread seem to think it was worth the money and they don’t come across as stupid to me. It’s interesting that many people dislike the throttle sensitivity and are happy with the improvement the PedalBox delivers yet you deny their right to have an opinion different to your own. In your opinion they are all stupid. 

I agree that forums are for expressing views and discussion but courtesy and respect shouldn’t go out the window. How about “I personally don’t have an issue with the sensitivity and even if I did I think the PedalBox is overpriced for what it is. But horses for courses”. That’s a bit more polite than calling everyone stupid. Some might call us stupid for buying 190 diesels rather that the 150, or perhaps we should have gone petrol due to those pesky DPFs and EGR valves! I’m sure most people have their reasons for the choices they make and I’m prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt that for the most part it’s not due to a lack of intelligence. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, byteme said:

JackySi, you can't reason with idiots who struggle to spell there own name let alone string a few sentences of code together or just use what is out there for free.

Ironic! :D

For some people stringing a few lines of code together is like running a marathon. It seems impossible to them but with the right preparation it is achievable.

Personally I think £200 for a pedal box is a way over-priced, but a lot of people out there are willing to pay for convenience and these pedal boxes are giving it to them. I'd love to see the calculations for the "65% better response" from the graph on the previous page.

Edited by petrolbloke

• 6 months later...
39 minutes ago, didoya said:

This might get detected by the dealer and void the warranty. Pedal box is undetectable if you remove it before visiting the dealer.

You sound like a salsman ;)

Edited by GnurkeGnurk