Pedal box recommendations

If the pedal box works how others have described then I guess the "lag" is actually first few % of throttle makes no noticeable difference to engine power, but with a pedal box that amplifies signal that fist few % now looks like 15% and so car responds as such. I imagine what it is doing isn't dissimilar to doing tone curves in photo editing, changing a straight line response into a number of curves to improve perception. 

I haven't collected mine yet, but I've had several different makes of car and all have little quirks in how they drive, surely adapting your driving style to a new car is better than spending money on kit to modify? If it's just a case of pushing the pedal a bit further then after a few weeks that's what you do and no lag is noticed anymore?

(I of course stand to be corrected and eat my hat in a week when I collect!)  

@JackySi

If you're always going to floor then probably not worth bothering with as you get to the same end point.

Have a look at the graph, there is an input (throttle position) and an output (throttle response) or fuel flow but bear in mind the fuel flow will also be dependent upon other factors that adjust the fuel mapping and therefore the vehicle response that you recognise via the seat of your pants.

throttle-response.jpg

As you can see with the pedal box off, blue line, the relationship between input and output is fairly linear ie for changes in input the out follows  a fairly straight line (Y=mx+c) this might be frigged to meet emissions testing rather than performance and this might be construed as lag.  It is the shape it is and some drives may wish to optimise performance therefore the introduce the mod.  

For max response, the red line, the the output ramps up significantly from about 22% position/40%response rising sharply to about 75% output at 45% position the PB-off takes until 80ish % position to get to the same response point.  The changed responses are more complex mathematical relationships within the electronics of the box, in olden days a similar effect was achieved by different cam profiles.

Often fitted to race motorcycles as the movement needs to be made in one fluid wrist roll without having to reposition the hand.

Drawing taken from http://nothrottlelag.com/info/ further info also available on this link. 

Edited by Bud
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bud said:

@JackySi

If you're always going to floor then probably not worth bothering with as you get to the same end point.

Have a look at the graph, there is an input (throttle position) and an output (throttle response) or fuel flow but bear in mind the fuel flow will also be dependent upon other factors that adjust the fuel mapping and therefore the vehicle response that you recognise via the seat of your pants.

throttle-response.jpg

As you can see with the pedal box off, blue line, the relationship between input and output is fairly linear ie for changes in input the out follows  a fairly straight line (Y=mx+c) this might be frigged to meet emissions testing rather than performance and this might be construed as lag.  It is the shape it is and some drives may wish to optimise performance therefore the introduce the mod.  

For max response, the red line, the the output ramps up significantly from about 22% position/40%response rising sharply to about 75% output at 45% position the PB-off takes until 80ish % position to get to the same response point.  The changed responses are more complex mathematical relationships within the electronics of the box, in olden days a similar effect was achieved by different cam profiles.

Often fitted to race motorcycles as the movement needs to be made in one fluid wrist roll without having to reposition the hand.

Drawing taken from http://nothrottlelag.com/info/ further info also available on this link. 

Thanks for that explanation. So I understood it all properly. Pedal box only makes "pedal" virtually pressed more, so at point 30% pedalbox sends ecu as I'd press 80% (looking at graf's RED like - MAX). So on the end, my issue with car "lagging" to accelerate wouldn't be solved. Because that issue comes from Turbo/Engine requiring RPM's to create more pressure to go into engine and create more power. At that point I'm happy I haven't purchased Pedal Box.  I don't really need it. I actually like that car is more unresponsive till I require acceleration. Makes "normal" ride smoother.

For what I need, I would probably need a remap and even that wouldn't solve the issue since Turbo is big. 150hp really felt much more responsive because pressure buildup was at 1250 rpm already (Almost the same as my mom's Octavia), mine starts at 1750.

Or did I understand every thing wrong?

1 hour ago, JackySi said:

Or did I understand every thing wrong?

I think you understand just fine, and I agree that what you want is a remap or a RaceChip tuning box (or similar).

@nicklouse "If it's just a case of pushing the pedal a bit further then after a few weeks that's what you do and no lag is noticed anymore?"

I drove my car for eight months before I made the decision to try the PedalBox (money back guarantee). Yes, you can adjust to the stock pedal, but I found the input much cruder than what I would like, especially in tight parking manoeuvres where finesse becomes more important and I want pedal feedback from the start of travel.

Different strokes for different folks. :) 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, freelunch said:

@nicklouse "If it's just a case of pushing the pedal a bit further then after a few weeks that's what you do and no lag is noticed anymore?"

I drove my car for eight months before I made the decision to try the PedalBox (money back guarantee). Yes, you can adjust to the stock pedal, but I found the input much cruder than what I would like, especially in tight parking manoeuvres where finesse becomes more important and I want pedal feedback from the start of travel.

Different strokes for different folks. :) 

Fair play - come Friday I'll pay attention to it and see :) 

• 8 months later...
58 minutes ago, Kamikazekid said:

I’m almost 100% convinced to take the plunge and buy one. My only concern is how does it affect low speed mounovers like parking? I wouldn’t want to end up smashing into an adjacent parked car!

You will get used to the sensitivity change and adjust your driving accordingly.  You can adjust settings too; so could use one of the more sedate modes for town driving and sports/race mode for more spirited driving on open roads. 

To be honest I quite like the fairly linear response to accelerator pedal travel on the Superb, it makes fine control at low speeds easier, and if you want to go faster, push it down some more. And I hate cars with the kind of exaggerated response shown in the red curve which makes them seem all eager and more powerful than they are when you touch the pedal (vroom vroom), then once you get past this there's very little more to come so the last half of the travel does almost nothing. But horses for courses, some people like the enthusiastic eager puppy type response ;-)

On 04/10/2018 at 15:55, IanJD said:

To be honest I quite like the fairly linear response to accelerator pedal travel on the Superb, it makes fine control at low speeds easier, and if you want to go faster, push it down some more. And I hate cars with the kind of exaggerated response shown in the red curve which makes them seem all eager and more powerful than they are when you touch the pedal (vroom vroom), then once you get past this there's very little more to come so the last half of the travel does almost nothing. But horses for courses, some people like the enthusiastic eager puppy type response ;-)

I think the problem a lot of people find is that it just isn’t that linear, at least not until you get past the 1st inch. I’ve read a lot on various forums the last week and a lot of people hate on the pedal box and argue that it can’t really change the throttle response as that’s down to the engine, or they want a linear response from the pedal. For me I’m not interested in any of that or arguing over the technicality of how it works or whether throttle response is the right term to describe the problem. In short I want to eliminate that dead 1st inch when I press the accelerator so the car is a bit keener out of junctions etc. hopefully without compromising low speed manoeuvres. Fingers crossed the pedal box will do this for me.   

6 hours ago, Kamikazekid said:

I think the problem a lot of people find is that it just isn’t that linear, at least not until you get past the 1st inch. I’ve read a lot on various forums the last week and a lot of people hate on the pedal box and argue that it can’t really change the throttle response as that’s down to the engine, or they want a linear response from the pedal. For me I’m not interested in any of that or arguing over the technicality of how it works or whether throttle response is the right term to describe the problem. In short I want to eliminate that dead 1st inch when I press the accelerator so the car is a bit keener out of junctions etc. hopefully without compromising low speed manoeuvres. Fingers crossed the pedal box will do this for me.   

On my car the revs start to rise as soon as you start to press the pedal, there's no "dead zone". Given that the total pedal travel is only a few inches, if you've got an inch where it does nothing I suspect you've got a problem -- what engine do you have?

Edited by IanJD

Ok so I may have exaggerated slightly. It does do something it’s just nowhere near as sensitive as most cars I’ve driven so to pull out of a junction quickly you have to give it more of a prod than I’m use to. Once I get to that point where it ‘wants to go’ from there on it’s fine. I far from alone with this. A quick search and you’ll see loads of posts about it. It seems to be a known thing with the diesels. Mines a 190 DSG. 

Just now, Kamikazekid said:

Ok so I may have exaggerated slightly. It does do something it’s just nowhere near as sensitive as most cars I’ve driven so to pull out of a junction quickly you have to give it more of a prod than I’m use to. Once I get to that point where it ‘wants to go’ from there on it’s fine. I far from alone with this. A quick search and you’ll see loads of posts about it. It seems to be a known thing with the diesels. Mines a 190 DSG. 

I simply got used to it. Doesn't really matter after few months of driving.

20 hours ago, Kamikazekid said:

May well be a diesel thing, especially TDI190 which relies on some revs to get the boost to cut in. TSI220 petrol doesn't do it, response to throttle is nice and smooth.

6 hours ago, IanJD said:

May well be a diesel thing, especially TDI190 which relies on some revs to get the boost to cut in. TSI220 petrol doesn't do it, response to throttle is nice and smooth.

My 1.4 petrol suffered from throttle lag. One place I used to notice it in particular was exiting a roundabout and driving up a hill.

It didn't want to go and so I would push the throttle a bit more with not much difference, push a bit more and it would change down a gear and rocket off. It was that insensitive.

With the pedal box I find that I can modulate the throttle much easier.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, facet edge said:

My 1.4 petrol suffered from throttle lag. One place I used to notice it in particular was exiting a roundabout and driving up a hill.

It didn't want to go and so I would push the throttle a bit more with not much difference, push a bit more and it would change down a gear and rocket off. It was that insensitive.

With the pedal box I find that I can modulate the throttle much easier.

And how do you find parking and other low speed manoeuvres?

1 hour ago, Kamikazekid said:

And how do you find parking and other low speed manoeuvres?

Absolutely no problem at all. You can adjust the sensitivity of the pedal if you find it too quick but I think you will find it a lot easier to get the right amount of throttle, unless of course you wear diver's boots.:biggrin:

I have 190 DSG and I have DTUK Pedal Box+ fitted and I have found it makes a difference. I have DCC set at Individual, chasis in Comfort and drive in Eco with Pedal Box in Sport dialled to the top. Great for motorways and good A roads and without the lag. I consider it a good buy.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Seriously considering a DTUK pedal box to improve the lag on my new 220 sportline. 

If you've got one, do you find the improvement in the normal driving mode makes sport mode more unusable? (At the moment I flick it into S if I need a quick getaway, worried that the pedal box will cause that mode to be less useful)

Edited by the_bridie

I've been using a DTUK Pedal Box+ for the past 18 months. I have experienced no negative aspects, only positive.

The "box" remaps the throttle pedal position only. It does not affect any of the drive modes. Flicking back into Sport mode will behave exactly as before. There is simply no vagueness felt by your right foot any more.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, freelunch said:

I've been using a DTUK Pedal Box+ for the past 18 months. I have experienced no negative aspects, only positive.

The "box" remaps the throttle pedal position only. It does not affect any of the drive modes. Flicking back into Sport mode will behave exactly as before. There is simply no vagueness felt by your right foot any more.

Just ordered it :):):)

9 hours ago, the_bridie said:

Do you find the improvement in the normal driving mode makes sport mode more unusable? (At the moment I flick it into S if I need a quick getaway, worried that the pedal box will cause that mode to be less useful)

I find with the DTUK pedal box there is no need to select sport mode for a quick standing start.  You get instant response and power in normal mode  (DSG Gearbox). I find City +3 setting on the pedal box right for me. Once it's set you never have to touch it again. 

Edited by Matchman55
added a comment

Best £200 you will spend absolutely essential on the 150 diesel dsg in my opinion before fitting i just couldn’t drive in normal mode it felt like I was pressing down on a wet sponge not a throttle peddle, have mine set on city plus 2 and that’s perfect for me, car reacts as it should now.