507 spec Oil: Does brand matter at all?

We're getting an oil change. Going to ask the mechanic to put the right spec oil in (507) but I assume the brand doesn't matter. Just want to check in case I am wrong. Seems there is a big difference in price online but I can't figure out why if it meets the same spec. I can pay twice as much for a better brand, but I could get something like Pemco brand for a lot less. Any warnings against the cheaper option? 

Provide your own oil.

5 litres of genuine Skoda Quantum (VW507) delivered to your door for £25 from a Skoda franchised main dealer...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quantum-Longlife-5W-30-Fully-Synthetic-Engine-Oil-5-Litre-Bottle/263429448994?epid=1705379933&hash=item3d559e6522:g:oS8AAOSwnxFZyjUu

• Like 2

I  bought 20 ltrs from Mercedes of the 229.51 Low Ash for about £52 (which worked out about £13 for 5 Ltrs) which after phoning opie oils was also suitable and exact spec as VW507 00 low ash.

I only done this because both my cars needed serviced at the same time and still have plenty left 

1 minute ago, gav_is_con said:

TPS £19 for 5 litres of LL3 oil if you can get a branch that serves people without an account. 

No TPS nearby unfortunately.

11 minutes ago, DEL80Y said:

I  bought 20 ltrs from Mercedes of the 229.51 Low Ash for about £52 (which worked out about £13 for 5 Ltrs) which after phoning opie oils was also suitable and exact spec as VW507 00 low ash.

I only done this because both my cars needed serviced at the same time and still have plenty left 

Good price you got there really. I could get 10L for £37 of Pemco brand which looks genuine, but I'd have to store half till next year and there's still this question over whether it would be just as good or not, so I guess I'll get the genuine stuff linked above.

When checking the specs printed on the the tin, you will find two variants of wording along these lines.

Either 

A. "Meets/exceeds the requirements/specification of (spec no)"

Or

B. "Approved to specification (spec no)"

Version A means the company on the tin thinks it's suitable.

Version B means the motor manufacturer or a certified test house has tested the product and given it approval.

Interpret that as you wish. 

• Like 4