Retrofitting a reversing camera.

Hi sorry for so many questions but the dealer told me about a company they use for customer upgrades called vagtec as I expressed an interest in having a reversing camera fitted. after looking at their site they list a high line and low line camera but both descriptions are exactly the same. so what is the difference between high and low line cameras and will either of the work with my bolero unit that is fitted to my car  

Edited by john999boy
Title edit + moved forum.

6 hours ago, Exeterj said:

Unfortunately I think you need a nav head unit so probably won’t work with bolero 

it works with all models of bolero as long as they have the bluetooth unit.

If your headunit is any of the model numbers listed then it wont work, your out of luck.

5E0035812 
5E0035819 
5E0035820 
5E0035812A 
5E0035819A 
5E0035820A

I have Bolero MIB 1 with no nav and it works perfectly.

its fairly easy to fit your self and only require routing the video to the front of the car and splicing the power and some VCDS mods to get it to work. Took me 2 hours all in.

Edited by JohnnyType2

5 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

Never mind being correct for the positive, Vagtech's site only references the nav units as being compatible, but probably as they can't single the units out as you've stated. 

On 20/01/2018 at 16:42, JohnnyType2 said:

If your headunit is any of the model numbers listed then it wont work, your out of luck.

5E0035812 
5E0035819 
5E0035820 
5E0035812A 
5E0035819A 
5E0035820A

I have Bolero MIB 1 with no nav and it works perfectly.

its fairly easy to fit your self and only require routing the video to the front of the car and splicing the power and some VCDS mods to get it to work. Took me 2 hours all in.

Hi Johnny, have you used volkswagen/Skoda dedicated reversing cam? How does the camera connect to bolero? I do have a rear facing dashcam with composite video feed lead which I thought about using as reversing cam but apparently bolero only takes its own RGB standard. I even found convertors for this but they cost more than VW type camera. What is your experience on this? Best regards

5 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

I bought the VW reversing cam, fitted perfectly the full thread for fitment is here

trust2K and several other knowledgeable members...

Thanks for pointing me to the thread. 

Seems that the vw camera is using composite vdo after all. 

Interesting 

• 3 weeks later...

ok busy trying to research a good deal for this rear camera thing.

this is what i have found can any post a link to a better deal? i think its about  177 quid plus delivery.

http://www.carsystems.pl/vw-rear-camera-kit-retrofit-5n0827566j-sharan-tiguan-golf-passat-variant,id352.html

I've just replaced my original retrofitted camera as I broke it by pushing too hard when trying to adjust the lens :blush:

Both came from Ali Express, the new one has even better angle and comes with static lines. For £28 quid it's hard to go wrong...

I've tried to copy the link to the one I've just fitted but it's saying unavailable now. I guess it may become available again - the description is: JSTMAX 2017 NEW CCD   HD CCD trunk reversing camera reversing handle for Volkswagen VW Skoda Octavia

Working perfectly. As before, it needs a couple of small brackets on the retaining screws to secure it. Easily made from simple L brackets.

That's great to know pist0nbr0ke thanks .

I'll keep looking for that to come up again. 

Did you happen to remember what connector you needed at the  glovebox?

The only cheap ones seem to be direct from China and delivery is currently 6 to 10 weeks+.

It would probably be easier if I took it apart to look first, but I wanted to just go through that stress only once if possible.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/JSTMAX-CCD-HD-CCD-trunk-reversing-camera-reversing-handle-for-Volkswagen-VW-Skoda-Octavia/1760182_32401161431.html

Thought I'd  pop the link up in case others want. It's a Chinese made unit but then so is most of the tech in the western world. Fingers crossed they get some more stock soon.

From what I can work out you,would still need a cable from the yellow Phono socket on the camera lead to go through the to the glove box and plug in the back of the head unit 26 pin socket. Getting a phono plug extension cable is easy its the adapter to take it into the back of the unit I don't know where to source yet. 

• Like 1

I followed instructions in this thread:

And here is my post detailing the parts required. The cable to the glovebox comes with the camera, it's the terminals to plug into the head unit you will need - they're easily got.

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/341794-new-feature-simply-clever/?do=findComment&comment=4678747

Edited by pist0nbr0ke
  • Like 2

On 10/02/2018 at 20:23, pist0nbr0ke said:

I followed instructions in this thread:

And here is my post detailing the parts required. The cable to the glovebox comes with the camera, it's the terminals to plug into the head unit you will need - they're easily got.

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/341794-new-feature-simply-clever/?do=findComment&comment=4678747

Follow these instructions and look for details its what I intend to use soon as i get time and the weather. The camera arrived still waiting on the other connector.

• 2 weeks later...

fitted my trunk handle camera yesterday, it worked well but im not happy with the narrow angle and direction of view which isnt adjustable, i bought the cheapest handle camera, picture is great just not wide enough.  I will change it out for a more expensive one.

most for the kits come with everything you need apart from the crimp pins to attach to the head unit which are pennies. 

are there any draw backs splicing it to the wiper motor or does it have to be connected into the reversing light?

Ive notice there are alot of large cameras 50mm wide and 110mm long, the correct fit is only ID 78mm x 28mm, and OD 91mm x 35mm, anyone else notice this?

Edited by JohnnyType2

On 10/02/2018 at 21:21, maul said:

both of those are way too big to replace my trunk handle aperture... are there different size boot handles? mine is a 2014 vRS TDI

this is the one ive fitted but the viewing angle is crap https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MR0D4L7/ref=psdc_1342943031_t3_B073ZF7BQG

i really dont want to cut any metal. are there any low profile cameras that are this size?

616rJV2uG-L._SL1100_.jpg

Edited by JohnnyType2

All the previous how tos I've seen, require opening the apperture up to fit the new handles.

On the newer cars the hole is bigger already apparently.

I must admit this is what's slowing me down from fitting it already.

I'm waiting on better weather and time to do the cutting and fettling. Not like you can go back once you start

Edited by maul