Android head unit

Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade the unit already n my 2007 Octavia estate. I've seen this one http://xtrons.co.uk/skoda/skoda-octavia-android-car-stereo/pb86mtvp-8-hd-digital-octa-core-64bit-32gb-2gb-ram-android-6-multi-touch-screen-car-dvd-player-custom-fit-for-volkswagen-seat-skoda.html

But my concern is it states its for 2007-2012, now from what I thought that is the model year for the scout. As mine is 2007 would it fit? If not are there any other recommendations? 

I like the features on this one. WiFi, diagnostics ect. 

Ta

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F172858343390

I have recently fitted one of these to my 2010 fl vrs and so far really impressed with it but also with the service from seller when I have had questions around fitting. I am sure he would give you decent advice about fitting to your car. I found it best using his website rather than through ebay as there is a phone number for him and he is uk based. Hope this is helpful 

A lot of these Android head units only fit the FL Mk2 and aren't backwards compatible with the earlier models ... Some claim they will fit all model years but it's a bit of a minefield and one reason I've still not bit the bullet and bought one yet 

5 hours ago, labman1001 said:

A lot of these Android head units only fit the FL Mk2 and aren't backwards compatible with the earlier models ... Some claim they will fit all model years but it's a bit of a minefield and one reason I've still not bit the bullet and bought one yet 

I have heard the same from others with pre fl but I reckon if you give the guy a call if you follow the link I posted he will give you decent honest options. He was really helpful on a few things pre and post sale with me 

Hi @Pods

Thanks for this link. From your experience with your car, does it handle and display the inputs from the PDC sensors like the standard head unit?

TIA - Stuart

5 hours ago, StuartA said:

Hi @Pods

Thanks for this link. From your experience with your car, does it handle and display the inputs from the PDC sensors like the standard head unit?

TIA - Stuart

Hi Stuart

It does but on a smaller scale to the left of the screen leaving the rest of the screen free for reversing camera display. I do not yet have reversing camera so that part of the screen is blank at the moment. It cuts in and either mutes or reduces volume in the same way as the factory units.

Hope this helps. If you would like a pic of the display when reverse is engaged from my unit then happy to do so for you tomorrow 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pods said:

Hi Stuart

It does but on a smaller scale to the left of the screen leaving the rest of the screen free for reversing camera display. I do not yet have reversing camera so that part of the screen is blank at the moment. It cuts in and either mutes or reduces volume in the same way as the factory units.

Hope this helps. If you would like a pic of the display when reverse is engaged from my unit then happy to do so for you tomorrow 

That would be great, thanks. Does it also beep through the stereo like the factory units?

One other thing just occurred to me - is it able to connect to the six-disc auto-changer?

Thanks.

8 hours ago, StuartA said:

That would be great, thanks. Does it also beep through the stereo like the factory units?

One other thing just occurred to me - is it able to connect to the six-disc auto-changer?

Thanks.

Good morning Stuart

yes beeps through speakers are exactly the same as having the factory unit. With the muting of the stereo when you put it in reverse, there are also several options as to how much it reduces volume or you can select to mute music completely.

cant answer the multichanger question as mine didn’t have one. Previously had just a Bolero unit with built in changer but I reckon a call or email to the chap at Audiotech would clear that one up for you.

Also the more I listen to the new unit the more I am noticing the sound even through the factory speakers is so much better now although I do plan on upgrading those soon.

Hope the pic helps. I will be ordering up a reversing camera soon too I think.

Something else I just thought you might want answering too. Yes it does show any adjustments to heating / climate controls on the screen like the factory units. These pop up at the bottom of the screen as you are adjusting anything and clear again a few seconds later.

D916A3DB-702F-49B3-9BBD-3E4FCE50013E.jpeg

Edited by Pods
  • Like 1

Morning.

Been looking at these headunits on and off for a few years. Couple of questions:

1. Do they have need the Columbus surround?

2. Do you have factory Bluetooth? If so, how does the android headunit handle it?

Many thanks,

Stu.

@Pods

Is there a huge difference between yours and my dash? being non-fl?

Also, have you got the dab function? I don't really want the windscreen antennae, being relatively modern cars, they have the coated screens, I tried this in my fabia a few years back and had to upgrade to an external one, glad I did but man was it involved. 

I am looking for something like this for my 2010 FL vRS. I mainly want dab radio and Bluetooth for phone. Am I correct in assuming I need another accessory to get full DAB ??  

Are there any cheaper versions of this which perform the same sort of functions but maybe a slightly smaller screen?

It does sound like a truly plug and play option though. Which is really appealing. 

1 hour ago, Stu vRS said:

Morning.

Been looking at these headunits on and off for a few years. Couple of questions:

1. Do they have need the Columbus surround?

2. Do you have factory Bluetooth? If so, how does the android headunit handle it?

Many thanks,

Stu.

Not sure if the surround I have is like the Columbus or not as Audiotech supplied the surround I needed at cost when I purchased the unit. Don’t have factory Bluetooth but new unit has it built in

1 hour ago, GizmoThor8303 said:

@Pods

Is there a huge difference between yours and my dash? being non-fl?

Also, have you got the dab function? I don't really want the windscreen antennae, being relatively modern cars, they have the coated screens, I tried this in my fabia a few years back and had to upgrade to an external one, glad I did but man was it involved. 

Having not owned a pre fl I’m not sure about dash differences tbh. Yes I’ve got the dab function currently with screen mount antennae which works ok but I would prefer not to have this in the screen so I may look in to external upgrade in the future

Edited by Pods

20 minutes ago, roblatus said:

I am looking for something like this for my 2010 FL vRS. I mainly want dab radio and Bluetooth for phone. Am I correct in assuming I need another accessory to get full DAB ??  

Are there any cheaper versions of this which perform the same sort of functions but maybe a slightly smaller screen?

It does sound like a truly plug and play option though. Which is really appealing. 

Mine is also 2010 fl vrs and was very much plug and play. Yes you need to purchase DAB antenna separately and the correct facia surround 

Edited by Pods

Hi,

If you are looking for an android headunit for the PL octavia, I think this one fits : www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-Android-6-0-Octa-Core-Autoradio-DVD-GPS-NAVI-SKODA-OCTAVIA-DAB-TNT-WiFi-USB/182591815032 - Might be worth contacting that seller?

I don't own a octavia yet but I've got experience with android headunits in my VW Golf before and found that even though the car might not be listed - it should still work. All the units I tried were for 2007+ Golf's but fitted my 04 mk5 fine including pulling stats from the canbus.

• 1 month later...

I DO NOT RECOMMEND to buy any android head unit bellow 2GB of RAM memory. It would be painful to watch, when your HU, after a couple weeks,  will be struggling even to open radio or any other app.

Edited by Marewx

20 hours ago, Adam1980 said:

Hi all

Can anyone could tell me if this unit https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F222700085441

would fit my 2010 Fl Octavia 1.9tdi 105

I am looking at android head unit up to £200.

Thanks 

I also got respond from seller and this unit will not fit my skoda apparently 

I've just got this one installed in my car: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-Android-8-0-Car-Stereo-GPS-VW-Passat-Tiguan-Touran-Golf-Navi-3G-CD-Player-DAB/273040300618 .

I went for this one as its already got Android 8.0 installed on it (you can flash Oreo onto the android 6.0 units mind) and with this unit, the car's ISO block plugs directly into the unit rather than having an additional wiring loom like other units. (I had bought an Xtrons unit to install but due to the limited space behind the dash, I just sent it back)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-Android-6-0-Octa-Core-Car-Stereo-DVD-Player-For-SKODA-OCTAVIA-DAB-DVB-T-WiFi/112418985559

This one is android 6.0 with the Stream headunit shape, this should be a straight swap.

I'd highly recommend looking for a Octa-Core (PX5) chip with 2GB ram - I've had Quad-core's in previous car's and they take 30 seconds or so to boot up when you start the car where as the octa core ones start up nearly instantly.