Android head unit

I wouldn't worry about boot time to much, my Android takes about 1 minute to boot if battery has been disconected, start time otherwise is as quick as the bolero that it replaces, 

As said before i would go for the latest OS available.

Hi guys, been looking at the Bolero shaped units on and off for years now and never took the plunge. I already have BT built in with a proper Skoda bluetooth module (retrofit), what is the case with using in built bluetooth with the Android HU or can it not be done?

10 hours ago, Adam1980 said:

Have had it since November, 

The igo maps seem ok but I have was using a Tomtom before so tees aome getting used to, dose hover have full post code search and good language guidance,  you can also update on their website alough I haven't tried yet,

Yes  I made an offer and got a massive  £8 off!

The only disappointment I have was the length of the microphone wire, just enough to get to the top of the drivers A pillar site I have the mic poking out from behind the A pillar trim, I would have preferred up near the mirror so the passage coluld be heard better. 

2 hours ago, Stu vRS said:

Hi guys, been looking at the Bolero shaped units on and off for years now and never took the plunge. I already have BT built in with a proper Skoda bluetooth module (retrofit), what is the case with using in built bluetooth with the Android HU or can it not be done?

You will have to remove the original BT and use the new HU.

Stu HU I am looking at has this functions 

Support Bluetooth hands-free function, built-in microphone and external microphone Jack.
- Support A2DP Bluetooth, can play stereo music through Bluetooth from your mobile Phone
- Download phone book function, you can download contact information from your phone to this unit
- Support the newest Phone Book Search, you can search & find a contact member in downloaded phone book,
  just input the first letter of name, you will find some associated names, then you can choose the right one

12 minutes ago, Cryonut said:

Have had it since November, 

The igo maps seem ok but I have was using a Tomtom before so tees aome getting used to, dose hover have full post code search and good language guidance,  you can also update on their website alough I haven't tried yet,

Yes  I made an offer and got a massive  £8 off!

The only disappointment I have was the length of the microphone wire, just enough to get to the top of the drivers A pillar site I have the mic poking out from behind the A pillar trim, I would have preferred up near the mirror so the passage coluld be heard better. 

Thanks Cryonut

I am more convinced to go with Erisin now

That's the unit I have, albeit mine is Android 6 as I got it just before 7 came out, I didn't use the external microphone as there are 2 built into the HU which work well.

11 hours ago, Cryonut said:

You will have to remove the original BT and use the new HU.

Cheers, what the sound quality like for phone calls with the Android HU's? Steering wheel controls still work for phone?

Cheers.

The controls work for audio on maxidot for skipping tracks and stations, I think the CanBus works with the wheel controls as wheel.

Getting slightly put off with the amount of reviews I've seen saying the Erisin units fail after a few months, geting DAB working seems to a faff as well, seems only certain dongles will work with cerain DAB apps.

Edited by Stu vRS

Guys.

I am in a real pickle!

I sold my faulty( been suggested that main board has gone) Columbus so I have bit of £££. I was going to buy android HU for 200 but my friend said he can get me Columbus for bit extra £££. 

I really liked Columbus but had bad experience which cost me a lot.

Used Columbus are usually £400 but could get for less then that.

Question is ( and sorry if I will repeat it as probably was asked before on this forum) should I go with android or Columbus ( which will be around £100 more then android )

Thanks 

12 hours ago, Stu vRS said:

geting DAB working seems to a faff as well, seems only certain dongles will work with cerain DAB apps.

I brought the dab adaptor from the  same seller, pluged it in and works fine,

1 hour ago, Adam1980 said:

Guys.

I am in a real pickle!

I sold my faulty( been suggested that main board has gone) Columbus so I have bit of £££. I was going to buy android HU for 200 but my friend said he can get me Columbus for bit extra £££. 

I really liked Columbus but had bad experience which cost me a lot.

Used Columbus are usually £400 but could get for less then that.

Question is ( and sorry if I will repeat it as probably was asked before on this forum) should I go with android or Columbus ( which will be around £100 more then android )

Thanks 

If you go for a used Columbus make sure it comes with the correct code, if not it will cost quite alot to get from a main dealer. 

• 1 month later...
On 28/02/2018 at 19:18, jlmo said:

@Adam1980 I use waze. I have a 3g dongle connected to my headunit via USB so I don't have to tether from my phone.

Which 3g dongle did you go for?

I've connected one to mine, but it doesn't appear in the WiFi list, and I'm not sure how to set it up!

Got Amazon Echo to work with this Android HU with voice control, fairly easy as well, turn phone in wifi hotpsot, echo connected, echo then connects to BT on the HU, I now have voice control for music and other stuff, bonus!