Battery drain, rubbish battery, or not charging properly?

vc-10

On 04/02/2018 at 20:58, eiggol said:

Hi everybody,my 1966 Fabia SEL DSG went in for second service on 23/01/18 with 5488 miles on the clock .The battery was low and showing infotainment would be turned off ,this shows most of the time as my weekly mileage is low as can be seen by my annual mileage.

1966 ....Its done quite well for 53 years

1482334808_280px-13-04-05-Skoda_Museum_Mlad_Boleslav_by_RalfR-121.jpg.21642ed440f6a0618734b927c5d11c78.jpg

Skoda Fabia 1.2 tsi dsg 2016

My screen keeps saying “12v battery low, infotainment system will shut down”

i had the car on charge for 10 hours yesterday, before charging, my gizmo said that there was 11.8v in the battery but it never got to the point where it said the charging was complete.

When I drive the car it is charging and the readout is 14.6v - 14.8v. 

The stop/start system hasn’t worked for ages either and sometimes the kessy system will not let me lock/unlock the car, I have to do that with the keyfob.

I read on another post about having the cable sensor coming off the battery checked as this can stop the battery being charged to its full potential. Has anyone else had this issue or should I be looking for a battery drain problem and if so, what?

On 21/01/2018 at 17:11, vc-10 said:

I tried doing the state of charge check a while back, but apparently that feature was dropped at some point between the MY15 and MY16 cars, and mine's a MY16. So I've no idea what it's actually charging to. Anyone know if Torque or Carista can read the state of charge?

I'm going to phone Skoda tomorrow.

hi, I bought one of these on Amazon. tells you the charge in the battery when engine is off and also tells you the charging rate when the engine is running. it also has 2 USB ports for phone + sat nav

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N5I0J92/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

hope this helps

graham

On 21/01/2018 at 17:11, vc-10 said:

I tried doing the state of charge check a while back, but apparently that feature was dropped at some point between the MY15 and MY16 cars, and mine's a MY16. So I've no idea what it's actually charging to. Anyone know if Torque or Carista can read the state of charge?

I'm going to phone Skoda tomorrow.

hi, I bought one of these on Amazon. tells you the charge in the battery when engine is off and also tells you the charging rate when the engine is running. it also has 2 USB ports for phone + sat nav

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N5I0J92/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

hope this helps

graham

• 3 weeks later...

I had battery problems on my Skoda Fabia 1.2 tsi dsg kept saying battery low and infotainment system will shut down. Tried charging the battery for 10 hours but never reached full charge even though the battery was at 11.8v at the start of charging. So off to my local Skoda and they left it on charge all night but still didn’t get to full charge. They have given in and are fitting a brand new battery

TBH, I've given up worrying about the low voltage warning. I've been getting it fairly frequently for at least 4 months since I bought my 3 year old 1.2 tsi dsg. The car always starts with no sign of hesitation and, as a bonus, the stop/start system doesn't work! If it's a battery problem I'll just wait until failure becomes obvious.

• Groan 1

I had my car from new so went through the process as it was done FOC under warranty. If this new battery goes the same way then the problem is obviously elsewhere 

I had it display the 'low battery' warning seconds after turning the ignition on yesterday. Good job it's being traded in on Saturday!

Oh not at all, but I'd still rather not pay for a new battery and let the dealer deal with that! Although it's not quite 3 years old yet...

• Thanks 1