Window Opened By It’s Self

Immelmann

Hi all, a bit of a strange one. Having owned the Roomster for nearly 3 years of pretty much faultless motoring it’s finally given me a problem.

parked up last night and fitted the frost cover to the windscreen and trapped it in the doors, locked the car and went inside. This morning my wife went out to the car and found the front left hand window all the way open and snow on the passenger seat. Can’t work out what has happened, I feel sure that I would of noticed a window wide open when fitting the frost cover.

has anyone heard of windows opening by themselves?

thanks

This usually occurs as a result of accidentally pressing / holding down the remote open button, whilst the keys are in a pocket. Given this was only 1 window though it would suggest an electrical fault is more likely?

Just a thought...

Is it possible that the action of trapping the frost cover in the door has placed additional load on the side window, triggering the finger-trap sensor?

Maybe crack the side windows open a smidge before fitting the frost cover?

• Like 1

Had a similar thing on a roomster once,  Possibly sensor thought something was trapped, moisture or ice on mechanism, or detector, (if you open windows with frost inevitable some ice/moisture will get in).   Possibly you touched the button (even accidently) or hit lock just at moment of closing door or window.   Another possibility is that cover got snagged and caused the door not to be fully shut so when it went to lock it detected door not fully closed so unlocked car.

My punt is thin piece of ice got trapped tricking anti finger trapping sensor.   Assuming it has now melted wont reoccur

Difficult to know, but if it was a one off then probably some combination of these.  if it happens regularly then clearly a fault

• 3 weeks later...

I normally drive with my window slightly open so I can hear noise around me. Sometimes when I lift the button to close the 10mm gap the window automatically drops to maximum open when I want to close it.  Then I lift the button a second time to close the window. Could that have happened when you wanted to close the window to trap the frost cover the window dropped instead of raised?

Edited by edbostan

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Immelmann said:

Thanks for the replies guys, it hasn’t happened again so absolutely no idea what caused it.

Was that when using the frost cover again?

Never happened again so not been able to find out what caused it. i used the frost cover and kept an eye on the windows just in case. Something will probably rear it’ head in the next couple of months after warranty runs out.