Superb estate Mk3 towbar

Evening all,

Been to get a quote for a detachable towbar, pleasantly surprised (Westfalia (as per manufacturer)). 7 pin elec £550 fitted, no elect £350.

I wont be towing, its a single bike carrier (plate & lights will still be visible).

Do I go for the elects or not?

Positives...

Easier to sell with elect s(will be keeping it for 3 yrs minimum

Reversing sensors will not be beeping when reversing

Option to mount a plate board or tow in future (no intention of doing so)

Negatives...

Extra £200

Would you? Should I? What are the fines / points if I somehow get pulled?

Should I just sell my tow bar bike rack & buy a boot mounted one (I don't really trust them). 

Get the electrics. Even if you never use them it makes the ball a selling point. Almost anyone looking for a car to tow with will expect them, advertising a car with a tow ball with no electrics is a bit like the classic "air-con (just needs a re-gas)" :)

Get the electrics. If you are a cyclist,  N+1 will strike and you'll end up with more bikes. Even if you don't *need* a light board,  having one fitted isn't a bad thing. Nothing to do with legality really,  just helps you be seen by others.

Also if you've the electrics you'll be able to hire trailers etc if you ever want to. 

I may be a touch biased though,  given we've 11 bikes in the family and I use a 4 bike buzzrack and sometimes a roofrack too....

Edited by edwards

Get the electrics.. But go for the universal one rather than the dedicated kit which disables sensors etc.. Its no bother pressing the sensor button when you reverse.. If anything it's a reminder the bikes are on.

Also.. Get a towbar rack with its own light board...

I would also go for the 13pin option and just use a convertor as it future proofs the car then.

I also own a 4 bike buzz rack..

Edited by RickTT
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/01/2018 at 22:58, jonesinamillion said:

Evening all,

Been to get a quote for a detachable towbar, pleasantly surprised (Westfalia (as per manufacturer)). 7 pin elec £550 fitted, no elect £350.

I wont be towing, its a single bike carrier (plate & lights will still be visible).

Do I go for the elects or not?

Positives...

Easier to sell with elect s(will be keeping it for 3 yrs minimum

Reversing sensors will not be beeping when reversing

Option to mount a plate board or tow in future (no intention of doing so)

Negatives...

Extra £200

Would you? Should I? What are the fines / points if I somehow get pulled?

Should I just sell my tow bar bike rack & buy a boot mounted one (I don't really trust them). 

In the construction & use regulations, there are specific requirements (angles of visibility) for the lights and the number plate.  Impinging on any part of this would leave you open to a fine....  not to mention the numpties that might drive into you....

I’d go for electrics too.

personally, I wouldn’t touch a boot mounted carrier with a barge pole.  Some will damage the door edges and may well put excess pressure on the rear window.

9 minutes ago, xman said:

A recent newspaper article claims a towbar can reduce your insurance premium on the basis you drive slower on average. Doubt its true though.

The way insurance companies work that seems highly unlikely!

My 20 year old son drives a Vivaro van.  Declaring a towbar as a mod, put his premium up £500.  Declaring fitting reversing sensors and a rear view camera also put it up £500!  It was a fixed price for any mod, regardless of safety etc.

25 minutes ago, andrewhol said:

There is a point to remember about keeping within warrenty rules when fitting electrics in particular. Needs to be official skoda bits I think.

Not true!

I ran a towing and trailer business for 25+ years.....  as long as the towing equipment is properly ‘e’ marked and tested, there is no issue.  I would fit ‘plug in’ electrics as opposed to bypass relays etc in order that reversing sensors etc still operate correctly.

7 hours ago, jonesinamillion said:

booked in next week for westfalia detachable 7 pin elecs and Skoda wiring... £500 

That’s not a bad price . I looked online at getting a detachable bar with 13 pin dedicated electrics and it was 

£900

Mine goes in Tuesday to have the towbar fitted. Westfalia detachable with factory electrics & coded  - all at Indespension locally. £636.00  Friend of mine is also getting his done there soon but he's getting the by-pass relay setup for considerably less. I'd rather have the various towing aids that Skoda provide, so I'm content to pay the extra. I did have the by-pass setup on my previous Citroen and didn't have any problems but decided to push the boat out this time around.

John M