Indicators in door mirror - how to change

DensYeti

Thursday  15th.   Woope.  Called at main dealer and "technician" came out to look, opened up and had a bit of a pull with wires (me winced!) , he then levered wire end of plug up a bit and levered at other end a bit and out came plug with a little more wiggle and pull.  I showed him the new piece from Italy and he plugged in and tested and repeater worked so he put it all back together again.....just a little difficulty alining one of the screws into one pillar hole.

(gave him a big kiss.......no not really)  Asked how much......no charge.  A bit of faith restored to this dealer so now 60% on my 'garage ability score board' (see previous story of timing chain and wrecked engine debacle).

Sorry but he was not a very-good-at-explaining-person so still not 100% sure what he actually did to release it but seems like lift up wire end a bit then leaver out from other end.  I tried to watch as closely as possible.

So the Italy one is a replacement at a good saving as long as you are not in a hurry....pity about the £13 post/packaging 

Lets hope it lasts.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DensYeti said:

So the Italy one is a replacement at a good saving as long as you are not in a hurry....pity about the £13 post/packaging 

Lets hope it lasts.

Still a 20 quid saving even with the Italian postage/packing, and really it's an item that should only cost about 20 quid to begin with.

3 hours ago, Clive said:

Still a 20 quid saving even with the Italian postage/packing, and really it's an item that should only cost about 20 quid to begin with.

Should only cost £20.????....an LED is usually very cheap now. It is not a high tech circuit.  The LED chip requires a certain voltage depending on maker and output.   So to achieve that voltage (usually lower than supplied) a resistor is required in series so that some of the voltage is lost (voltage drop) across the resistor, thus leaving the required lower voltage to drive the LED.

Even if the design allowed for the lens with LED fitted to be easily removed for replacement without having to dismantle the whole mirror casing (admittedly fairly easy once you know how)  surly it would be cheaper and easier.

Edited by DensYeti
? instead of £

More dismantling and pics.  Problem of what keeps plug in solved?

See photo of old base and at the back of where the plug goes you will see a rectangular depression. I assume there is a matching protrusion on the plug at the end of the wires.  So the back end of the plug needs to be lifted slightly to clear the depression before the plug can be pulled back out.

DSCF0866.thumb.JPG.fbca470e6b269ed33719b6cb5a47046b.JPG

Lens, with socket, removed from behind front plastic cover in base. Green pen pointing at top one of 3 LEDs.  This unit was stuck by glue to the bottom cover all round the edge and sounded like cracking plastic as I prised it away from the base with a screwdriver

DSCF0869.thumb.JPG.82d550bae774fcf93f68818c40477579.JPG

Closer view showing LEDs mounted on the little white square bits with 2 silver metal terminals on the top.
DSCF0868.thumb.JPG.3629ef0e48c4ddfebf550ba255472f42.JPG

Even closer.  The 3 blurred bits slightly to the left of the LEDs are the round ends of the rounded ribs that run the length of the lens and presumably carry the light along them.
DSCF0871.thumb.JPG.e111b4d228449923f207ad48ccd64ffb.JPG

I will try a voltage across the pairs of terminals for fun......but what V?
This seems to be as far as I can go with the dismantle.  The ribbed lens is fixed to the white board the LEDs are mounted on.

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

I know it has been a long time since this thread was used, but I recently had to change my right hand mirror indicator repeater unit. Having read through the thread it was still unclear how the wiring connector should be removed. If it helps anyone else, I found that inserting the 'tail' of an unused small pop rivet fully into the rectangular hole shown in DensYeti's picture above, the connector virtually fell apart. Hope this may help someone having a similar problem.

• Like 4