skoda fabia vrs se 2007 fuel problem

matty28

hi everyone I seem to be having a problem with my fuel I'm doing around 350 to a full tank to 0 miles  and I can watch the fuel gauge drop when I'm driving .

she runs sweet as a nut no black smoke at all and totally standard, and I'm doing 60% local driving and 40% motor ways .

I have had 5 fabia vrs and none of them have  been as bad as this one .

I have replaced maf, cleaned egr witch was ok! and done a full service replaced air filter and fuel filter

it does not seem to over fuel as there is no black smoke when I put my foot down ,

I drive tidy and would not like to know how many miles id get if I had a lead foot !

I drove 100 miles to Newport and back to Swansea and used from the last mark before full to half a tank doing 75 mph . this cant be right! I could watch the gauge going down its was showing I was getting 60mpg plus

I have no leaks that I can see or smell ,cant work out why

any help on what to look for or what it could be thanks

Edited by matty28

Check the timing and see what its showing, you will need vcds though to do this. Mine improved marginally when i set it to 0 degrees but its still not particularly good. I gave up trying to improve my economy in the end and just decided it wasn't worth spending the time and money for the sake of the fuel savings.

Also might be worth replacing the coolant temp sensor as it could be telling the engine its cold permanently and adding lots of fuel

• Like 1

Has it been remapped at some point? 

If so try getting it put back to a standard map.

When you say it's showing 60mpg , is that on the instant gauge or long term gauge on the obc ?

Cheers puddy  

It's not a rough runner mate and engine sounds sweet as a nut. On tick over u don't even know it's running she is quite.    when first started it's sometime it's like the revs drop to much if that makes sense but they don't I've put it down to over fueling

I've ordered vag com .New ecu because I can't tell if it's mapped or not soon as vag com comes il check timing im on 329 and the light is on its drinking the stuff just cant work out why 

It may need the camshaft 'lash' adjusters checking and re-setting after the timing is set at 00,

OK I know mine is a 1.4 TDI but the difference to both performance and MPG was greatly improved.

DB.

Don't take this the wrong way but why don't you put it into a garage and let them find the fault rather than just throwing money at it replacing things that might be wrong with it. With all the parts you have replaced. You've gotta be approaching couple of hundred. 

P.s check your oil level. Sometimes es the tandem pumps can leak diesel and it'll top up the oil level

Edited by ste372

I will keep eye on this mate but I've been checking oil and it seems fine .

All the parts I've changed I've had as spares of a good car I broke . E.g. service was 70 pound done my self .

I don't know the car as it's New I'm thinking could a small boost leak cause fueling problems or let's say it's had a new turbo and the actuator as not be set correctly could these be possibles for it being heavy on fuel and can the actuator be tested on vdcs ? I've noticed it's heavier when I put my foot down 

Edited by matty28

9 hours ago, ste372 said:

Don't take this the wrong way but why don't you put it into a garage and let them find the fault rather than just throwing money at it replacing things that might be wrong with it. With all the parts you have replaced. You've gotta be approaching couple of hundred. 

P.s check your oil level. Sometimes es the tandem pumps can leak diesel and it'll top up the oil level

I think unless a garage knew specifically what was wrong (which is often hard to tell) then they would have just replaced the same items as the OP and charged for it plus labour. The sensors that were changed are common failures on these engines so its a good idea to get them replaced.

It does sound as if fuel could be leaking somewhere so good idea to check around pump area. I think if the turbo actuator was set wrong the car would not run right at all and would probably log codes, worth a shot checking it in vcds using the block 11 and doing a run in 3rd gear. It explains it here: http://uk-mkivs.net/topic/34834-vnt-tdi-turbo-how-to-adjust-actuator-cure-boost-problems/

General consensus is Fabia tanks hold 45 litres so approx 10 gallons. So at 350 miles to empty that's a true 35mpg give or take. So where the hell does your obc come up with long term 60 mpg ? 

So the question is are you getting 45 litres or approx £56.00 @ 1.25 a litre ?

Edited by puddy

I finish the tank on 0 and I done 400 miles that was off 38L 

I've filled it now to the brim and it's taken 48 ltrs  so il see what it does this time around

the needle was on the red line  with over 100 miles left 

Edited by matty28

Little  up date I've replaced the timing belt and set the timing to 0  its was so fare out i could not lock the crank off at tdc .

I know get 40mpg local driving instead of the 59+ it was telling me and I've done 150 miles and the niddle as not moved off full yet. It's so  much better on tick over and first start thanks for all the help 

• Like 1