Looking at a Rapid. Help please.

My Granddaughter & Hubby  have a young family 2 kids aged 2 and 5 yrs. Their current Astra is on its last legs and they are looking to Change. They need the boot space for the buggy and other paraphernalia .

I have recommended the Octavia, which they like, but have fallen for a Rapid 1.2 Tsi.

Having experienced the Fabia and Octavia I love both cars, but am unable to tell them anything about a Rapid. Cost is an issue and they'll be looking around £8 to £10k.

Running costs, tax and ins need to be at a minimum.

Any advice as to what the Rapid is like to drive and live with would be greatly appreciated.

(I did see a report re water ingress in rear doors which worries me as I had that with a Mk1 Fabia years ago and it was a proper p.i.t.a ! is this an issue? )

Harry.

Have a read of the threads in this section about problems, what they are like to drive, which is best, costs etc etc.

Now if you notice my avatar and sig I own the Toledo, same as the Rapid but manufactered by SEAT, basically like the Mii I see in your sig, all the same but differ if you know what I mean between Skoda/VW/SEAT.

I have the 105 tsi engine in mine, has all the bells and whistles some Rapids don't have as standard, well worth a look in your search when looking at the Rapids too.

As far as the door leaks, yes they can be a problem, I reckon it's all to do with the door rubbers sticking to the door frame  and residual sealant blocking the drain holes, clear/clean these and make sure you clean around this area each time you wash the car and it won't be a problem. Mine held around a cup full of water in a front and and lesser amount in a rear door from new, doing the above and it's all been clear from more or less day one of ownership. You can of course modify the rubber seals, I don't think it requires it, mine didn't.

I can't think of any real problems that stand out from owners, certainly not on the Toledo as I know of, but others can comment on that and the Rapid.

The Toledo has quite a large boot area, with the rear seats folded down even better. Three children easily accommodated across the rear seats, two if in child seats and maybe very skinny one in the middle (no seat) also plenty of leg room in the rear for adults. Some one commented the other day saying, I like getting in the rear of your car, much more room than the Jag her partner owns, I know I struggle to get in/out of myself.

About mid 40's running around  MPG, on a long  sedate run 9keeping just below the national speed limit, over 50mpg can be easily achieved, that's going on the MFD figures. VED with the stop/start feature £30 per year and for me low insurance pretty good. 

Edited by MickA
  • Thanks 1

The Rapid is considerably more rare than Fabia and Octavia

Tends to be priced high new, built it is easy to find used examples 9-12 months old at 60% of the new list price, oddly DSG (auto) cars (with about 12000 miles) often come up as they were issued to hire fleets.    Therefore can pick up cars for about £10k which should have 10 years life in them.   £1000 per year is not expensive (yes you can buy an old banger for lot less, but will probably be unreliable or cost a lot in repairs)

The specs tend to be closer to a Fabia than Octavia.  In other words not quite as many features as standard (on the other hand, that will be less to go wrong, which might benefit a young family)

If you get one registered March 2017 (or earlier) it will always be the old lower tax rate (April 2017 onwards are the £140 per year)

Obviously cannot guess condition by email, so check that services were not skimped or that it clearly wasn't cared for (look for scuffs etc) and check tyre wear

Generally the 1.2tsi engine is highly regarded, might even be chain cam so no belt replacement every 4-5 years

Boot space is fairly large in both the saloon and spaceback, youngest child at 2 years old how much longer will big buggy be used rather than folding pushchair

Potentially a good buy (but don't overpay), a quick check is to use something like autotrader, use the filters for model, age and mileage to restrict to  comparables then check alternative prices.   Negligible premium for any options.

Most cases of water ingress are either door seals loose (easy fix) or leaves in the pollen filters causing rain not to run out of drain holes (check these before even considering windscreen/sunroof leaks).  If there is water in door, then wax will be in drain holes, simply look underneath and poke drain holes clear with wooden kebab stick (metal might damage paint and cause rust)

Hope this helps

Edited by SurreyJohn
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, MickA said:

Just to point out above, chain driven, no belt to worry about.:biggrin:

I'm not entirely sure that's true - depends on the age of the car, as far I know - I'd expect a 1.2TSI car in the price range you're looking to be new enough to have a belt driven camshaft.

That's not a bad thing - the chains were poorly made with worn out tools towards the end: broken engine - huge cost to repair.

However there is the cost of belt and bits to consider later on.

Regarding the size of the car - It's basically a stretched Fabia with the additional space being split between the boot (550litre, seat up) and more rear legroom and big rear doors. (the width of the Rapid is within a few mm of a Fabia iii).

For reliability I would give the DSG a miss.

Get one with reversing sensors, the back is quite a long way away, and not too easy to judge through the narrow and high rear window.

Thanks for your replies guys. I am actually very familiar with the 1,2 Tsi engine  so no problems there also I am a big fan of the DSG box but I know he's  a young guy who likes manual :biggrin:.  I'm not sure whether the 1.2 Tsi engine was ever fitted with a belt. I know the newer 1000 tsi was.

I am going with them on Sunday morning to view and so far we have a Rapid and a Rapid spaceback to look at. The spaceback looks really nice and comes with a Sat nav and reversing camera etc. Also the spaceback is at our local Skoda dealer with the usual used Skoda guarantees.

The main reason for my thread here is to find out about the Rapid model, how it drives, the reliability and what it's like to live with and to that end you've been very helpful.

Harry.

23 minutes ago, horkin said:

Thanks for your replies guys. I am actually very familiar with the 1,2 Tsi engine  so no problems there also I am a big fan of the DSG box but I know he's  a young guy who likes manual :biggrin:.  I'm not sure whether the 1.2 Tsi engine was ever fitted with a belt. I know the newer 1000 tsi was.

I am going with them on Sunday morning to view and so far we have a Rapid and a Rapid spaceback to look at. The spaceback looks really nice and comes with a Sat nav and reversing camera etc. Also the spaceback is at our local Skoda dealer with the usual used Skoda guarantees.

The main reason for my thread here is to find out about the Rapid model, how it drives, the reliability and what it's like to live with and to that end you've been very helpful.

Harry.

Hi Harry

For what it is worth, here’s my ownership experience after 3 years with a seat Toledo (as alluded to above, beneath the skin it is the same car as the rapid). Mine is the 105 ps 1,2 tsi 2015 model with heated seats, climate control, parking sensors, bluetooh and various other bits.

The space is the in car is very good for 4 persons. The car is too narrow to comfortably seat 5 for longer periods of time. Boot space is bigger than anything in the class.

The ride is a bit on the firm side, but definitely fine for daily purposes. Avoid 2013 or earlier models, as they have a harsh ride. A bit of road noise does intrude in the cabin. 

With the Rapid/toledo I think it's worth remembering that the car is basically an extended fabia, despite being quite close to the octavia size-wise. The car accordingly also feels like driving a car in the fabia class rather than the class above.

Engine is well suited for the car and has enough get-up-and-go for all daily duties.

I've had no issues with mine in the 3 years of owning.

All in all very happy with the purchase - no regrets. As a buyer you should, however, be aware that you are buying a cheap, but roomy cars. If expectations are aligned accordingly, I'm sure it'll be a happy relationship :-)

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CHjort said:

Hi Harry

For what it is worth, here’s my ownership experience after 3 years with a seat Toledo (as alluded to above, beneath the skin it is the same car as the rapid). Mine is the 105 ps 1,2 tsi 2015 model with heated seats, climate control, parking sensors, bluetooh and various other bits.

The space is the in car is very good for 4 persons. The car is too narrow to comfortably seat 5 for longer periods of time. Boot space is bigger than anything in the class.

The ride is a bit on the firm side, but definitely fine for daily purposes. Avoid 2013 or earlier models, as they have a harsh ride. A bit of road noise does intrude in the cabin. 

With the Rapid/toledo I think it's worth remembering that the car is basically an extended fabia, despite being quite close to the octavia size-wise. The car accordingly also feels like driving a car in the fabia class rather than the class above.

Engine is well suited for the car and has enough get-up-and-go for all daily duties.

I've had no issues with mine in the 3 years of owning.

All in all very happy with the purchase - no regrets. As a buyer you should, however, be aware that you are buying a cheap, but roomy cars. If expectations are aligned accordingly, I'm sure it'll be a happy relationship :-)

Good luck!

Thanks for that, yes I've owned 3 Fabias so am familiar with the way they drive. I have read the Rapid was built to a budget and will point that out to them. They have discounted the Fabia as too small and are deciding between the Octavia and Rapid. Right next door to the Skoda garage we are visiting is the Seat dealer so may get chance to have a look a Toledo too.

Harry

Hi Harry, I've owned a Rapid hatch (2013 105 BHP TSi Elegance), a Rapid Spaceback (2014 105 BHP TSi SE Tech) and am currently driving a Rapid clone / SEAT Toledo (2017 1.0 TSi Xcellence).

I'd originally intended to buy a Fabia (or even Citigo) to run as a second car, but a salesman at my local dealership pointed out I could buy a nearly new Rapid (hatch) for the same price as a new / nearly new Fabia / Citigo. I test drove all options and ended up buying a low mileage / 1 year old Rapid Hatch. This was an early car, which reportedly suffered with a harsh ride, but I found it to be spacious family transport. Despite its fairly old tech under-pinnings, it offered a modern engine / 6 speed manual transmission and considerably more room than either of the other options. It proved to be fairly mundane / uninspiring to drive, but nonetheless was reliable and the boot is truly huge (especially compared with a Fabia). I ran this for ~16k miles, before trading it in for a 2014 Rapid Spaceback 1.2 TSi (105 BHP) SE Tech.

The Spaceback drove a little better than the Hatch (marginally better ride / steering) and had a bit more kit - Sat-nav / DAB etc. The rear seats of the Spaceback are very spacious, but as mentioned above this is a relatively narrow car, so 3 abreast in the rear may be a struggle. I found myself missing the boot space of the Hatch. I ran this for 10k miles / 1 year, before an ill-advised move to a convertible.

I then traded my convertible in for a new SEAT Toledo Xcellence. This is effectively a Rapid hatch, although misses out on a few of the Skoda "simply clever" design touches (and 3 year breakdown cover / F.O.C. Sat-nav updates:dry:). The car was cheap (£11995 otr) and is reasonably well specced. The 1.0 TSi is quicker / more economical than the earlier 1.2 TSi offerings, but is a little less smooth and a little lacking in torque at low revs.

No water ingress issues with any of the Rapid's I've owned.

I've owned several Mk I & Mk II Octavia's and always felt the Rapid offered a good deal (not much less space than in an Octavia in hatch form) for considerably less financial outlay. It is certainly a dated platform, when compared directly with more modern (MQB based) offerings, but works well as low-cost family transport. I nver felt especially short changed, when comparing with an Octavia etc.

For family duties I'd recommend the hatch, although the Spaceback is probably on a par with the Astra it will be replacing.

These are slightly odd cars, as they don't fit into the traditional sizes (bigger than a Fiesta / only marginally smaller than a Mondeo) and are therefore often overlooked. The press reports the interior is low rent, which it is in direct comparison with main-stream alternatives (Ford / Vauxhall etc), but stands up well when compared with more budget offerings (Dacia etc).

The 1.2 TSi's averaged ~40 MPG in mainly urban use and proved reliable. The only mechanical issue I suffered was a commonly reported noise from the passenger side suspension, which the local main-dealer were unable to trace.

1 hour ago, horkin said:

Thanks for that, yes I've owned 3 Fabias so am familiar with the way they drive. I have read the Rapid was built to a budget and will point that out to them. They have discounted the Fabia as too small and are deciding between the Octavia and Rapid. Right next door to the Skoda garage we are visiting is the Seat dealer so may get chance to have a look a Toledo too.

Harry

If your dealer is in Grimsby their pricing is way more competitive on the SEAT side of the wall.

Rapid & Toledo are both built by SKODA in fact, on same production line AFAIK.  In the UK, SEAT discount policy makes the Toledo cheaper and it generally comes with a plusher interior and more kit. It also comes with underbonnet soundproofing that Skoda have cost cut.

The new beltdrive 16V engine was introduced to both in mid 2015 so that should easily be in your budget, but the earlier chaindrive 8V is very smooth, possibly the nicest 4cyl I've ever had.

3 hours ago, horkin said:

I'm not sure whether the 1.2 Tsi engine was ever fitted with a belt. I know the newer 1000 tsi was.

Yes it was from mid 2015.

If you see an earlier 1.2tsi 8v  with 85/6 or 105 ps then it's the EA111 chain cam engine (if you lift the bonnet you see a high level oil filter on the left)

If you see the later 1.2tsi 16v with 90 or 108/110 ps then it's the totally different EA211 much better cam belt engine (oil filter is on the bottom of the engine and exhaust/turbo is between engine and bulkhead)

Both engines are refined and pull well but if you can go for the later EA211

Edited by bigjohn

6 hours ago, MickA said:

Just to point out above, chain driven, no belt to worry about.:biggrin:

Sorry for the duff info, mine's a chain driven so 2014 model.

I wasn't aware the chains are of poor quality though as posted above, I better watch out in case it fails.

Edited by MickA

2 hours ago, pinkpanther said:

Hi Harry, I've owned a Rapid hatch (2013 105 BHP TSi Elegance), a Rapid Spaceback (2014 105 BHP TSi SE Tech) and am currently driving a Rapid clone / SEAT Toledo (2017 1.0 TSi Xcellence).

I'd originally intended to buy a Fabia (or even Citigo) to run as a second car, but a salesman at my local dealership pointed out I could buy a nearly new Rapid (hatch) for the same price as a new / nearly new Fabia / Citigo. I test drove all options and ended up buying a low mileage / 1 year old Rapid Hatch. This was an early car, which reportedly suffered with a harsh ride, but I found it to be spacious family transport. Despite its fairly old tech under-pinnings, it offered a modern engine / 6 speed manual transmission and considerably more room than either of the other options. It proved to be fairly mundane / uninspiring to drive, but nonetheless was reliable and the boot is truly huge (especially compared with a Fabia). I ran this for ~16k miles, before trading it in for a 2014 Rapid Spaceback 1.2 TSi (105 BHP) SE Tech.

The Spaceback drove a little better than the Hatch (marginally better ride / steering) and had a bit more kit - Sat-nav / DAB etc. The rear seats of the Spaceback are very spacious, but as mentioned above this is a relatively narrow car, so 3 abreast in the rear may be a struggle. I found myself missing the boot space of the Hatch. I ran this for 10k miles / 1 year, before an ill-advised move to a convertible.

I then traded my convertible in for a new SEAT Toledo Xcellence. This is effectively a Rapid hatch, although misses out on a few of the Skoda "simply clever" design touches (and 3 year breakdown cover / F.O.C. Sat-nav updates:dry:). The car was cheap (£11995 otr) and is reasonably well specced. The 1.0 TSi is quicker / more economical than the earlier 1.2 TSi offerings, but is a little less smooth and a little lacking in torque at low revs.

No water ingress issues with any of the Rapid's I've owned.

I've owned several Mk I & Mk II Octavia's and always felt the Rapid offered a good deal (not much less space than in an Octavia in hatch form) for considerably less financial outlay. It is certainly a dated platform, when compared directly with more modern (MQB based) offerings, but works well as low-cost family transport. I nver felt especially short changed, when comparing with an Octavia etc.

For family duties I'd recommend the hatch, although the Spaceback is probably on a par with the Astra it will be replacing.

These are slightly odd cars, as they don't fit into the traditional sizes (bigger than a Fiesta / only marginally smaller than a Mondeo) and are therefore often overlooked. The press reports the interior is low rent, which it is in direct comparison with main-stream alternatives (Ford / Vauxhall etc), but stands up well when compared with more budget offerings (Dacia etc).

The 1.2 TSi's averaged ~40 MPG in mainly urban use and proved reliable. The only mechanical issue I suffered was a commonly reported noise from the passenger side suspension, which the local main-dealer were unable to trace.

Thanks for a nice informative appraisal, I think they may plump for the Hatch if only for space for Buggies and other baby stuff. I purposely posted this thread in Spaceback as it seems more people post on here than the hatch threads?

Harry 

38 minutes ago, MickA said:

Sorry for the duff info, mine's a chain driven so 2014 model.

I wasn't aware the chains are of poor quality though as posted above, I better watch out in case it fails.

Hi Mick, Thanks mate. I have seen this chain issue mentioned often. I think it all came about in early engines when they had some noisy chain tensioners. If I remember there was a sort of recall where Skoda were replacing the noisy ones. Mine never had problems and personally I'd have this engine again in a heartbeat.

Harry

^^^ Mine runs sweet, just 15k miles on the clock in 4 years, so it gets a fair bit of use, not! :wondering:

Regular oil changes of the correct type and I reckon it should be fine.

Are you looking for a fairly newish model ie 1-2  year old,  Rapid or swayed towards a Toledo?

Edited by MickA

1 hour ago, MickA said:

^^^ Mine runs sweet, just 15k miles on the clock in 4 years, so it gets a fair bit of use, not! :wondering:

Regular oil changes of the correct type and I reckon it should be fine.

Are you looking for a fairly newish model ie 1-2  year old,  Rapid or swayed towards a Toledo?

It's not for me (see above) I suspect they will look at both before deciding.

Harry,

I have just traded in my Rapid Hatchback Sport after 30 months of ownership from new. I have a young(ish) family - 2 children of primary school age.

A Rapid Hatchback is a supremely capable family car. Mine caused me no problems whatsoever in the time I owned it. I've changed it only because my daughter found it hot and stuffy in winter so I have upgraded to something with climate control and better ventilation (ie actual vent outlets in the back seat) - mainly because I could and fancied a change - but there was fundamentally nothing wrong with my Rapid - I enjoyed owning it.

The space in the Rapid Hatch - both in terms of boot and rear seat, is second to none at the price point, and the 1.2 Tsi is lovely to drive: plenty of poke and really economical. It cost me peanuts to run in 32000 miles. Fixed price servicing was a good idea (£15 a month for a minor and a major service). I just needed new tyres which cost a smidge over £100 for the pair.

Brother in law has a 16 plate Astra Sri. They have 2 toddlers and always, always struggle to pack the car up for a weekend away because of buggies etc and have resigned themselves to an ugly roof box. There would be no such issue with a Rapid Hatchback IMHO and yet it is significantly cheaper than that Astra. I used to feel really quite smug on family holidays that I could just chuck all our kit for a week away in the boot without fuss and it'd still be rattling around!

Another advantage is that the Rapid is quite narrow - so it's a doddle to park in Supermarkets, multistorey car parks etc.

I hope they get something they like and fits their needs.

• Thanks 1

Hi Harry

i neglected to mention tyres / value(£) in my earlier post.

One frustration I've had with the Rapid / Toledo is the choice of tyre size. Both of my Rapid's came with 16" alloys & 215/45/16 tyres, which are considerably more costly than the more ubiquitous 205/55/2016, more commonly found on mid-spec Octavia's.

My current SEAT Toledo has even more ludicrously rare / costly 215/40/17, which significantly impair ride quality, given the paucity of rubber between the rim and road.

The slightly odd standard tyre sizes for 16" & 17" rims additionally limits availability of certain brands.  I run all-season (Michelin Cross Climate) tyres on my Yeti, but these aren't available in either 215/45/16, or 215/40/17.

The (lower spec) cars with standard 15" wheels are however a more common (and cost effective) size. Not sure if aesthetics are a major concern, but if not I'd certainly seek to avoid the larger tyre / wheel combinations (Sport / Xcellence models etc).

I'm currently running my SEAT Toledo on 15" steel rims / winter tyres and have noticed no appreciable decrease in grip, despite the drop in tyre size / contact patch (215/40/17 -> 185/60/15). The car is also much quieter (and  smoother) on the 15" wheels,  when compared with the OEM 17's. I'm giving serious consideration to leaving the 17" wheels in storage and running all year round on the 15's, along with a set of 15" Cross Climates / 4Seasons.

I guess a further consideration is value / cost.  These cars have a relatively high list price, but are commonly heavily discounted. This negatively impacts the residual value of the car, which of course is of benefit to a buyer. My current Toledo had a list price >£20k, but was available (new) with a ~40% discount (£119959 otr).  According to various online car valuation sources my car currently has a trade-in value of ~£9k (-55% compared to list price after 6 months / 6k miles!!).  If your grand daughter is planning to run the car long-term then residual value is of little concern and the cost vs practicality consideration sways heavily in the buyers favour.

Edited by pinkpanther
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, horkin said:

Thanks for a nice informative appraisal, I think they may plump for the Hatch if only for space for Buggies and other baby stuff. I purposely posted this thread in Spaceback as it seems more people post on here than the hatch threads?

Harry 

This forum is badly labelled. It should say Rapid & Spaceback. Mods change?

Oh and tell your family not to buy a 1.0, I'm liking it less and less- wish I'd bought another 1.2.

Edited by camelspyyder

21 minutes ago, camelspyyder said:

This forum is badly labelled. It should say Rapid & Spaceback. Mods change?

Oh and tell your family not to buy a 1.0, I'm liking it less and less- wish I'd bought another 1.2.

Thanks, that's interesting. I believe the 1.0 is a 3 pot Turbo? I am well familiar with the 1.2. My last Fabia had a 1.2 Tsi (105) engine coupled to a 7 speed DSG and I eternally regret selling it. just couldn't live with the bright yellow colour it was in:giggle:.

The new 1

7 minutes ago, horkin said:

I believe the 1.0 is a 3 pot Turbo?;

It is indeed.  I've owned both 1.2 TSi and 1.0 TSi my thoughts here: https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/441062-difference-between-the-old-12-tsi-90-and-new-10-tsi-95/?do=findComment&comment=4976276 and here: Carsurvey.org review

Edited by pinkpanther
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, camelspyyder said:

Whilst I agree the two engines are somewhat different in character, the newer (3 pot) is certainly more economical (10-15% according to my Fuelly data - below) and keen to rev. It is certainly feees less "torquey" at low revs and I too miss the almost "diesel-like" low down pull of the older 1.2 unit.

• 2017  1.0 TSi (110 BHP / 148 lb/ft) 45 MPG (6k miles)
  • 2013  1.2 TSi (105 BHP / 129 lb/ft) 39 MPG (16k miles)
  • 2014  1.2 TSi (105 BHP / 129 lb/ft) 40 MPG (13k miles)

This was generally urban commuting for all 3 cars.

The drive / feel of any particular car is very much down to personal perceptions. I regularly find myself revelling in the surfeit of torque provided by my mapped Yeti (310 lb/ft), but then switch to the Toledo and appreciate the smoothness (and relative lack of noise). I also take particular pleasure in revving it out to it's (much higher) red-line:biggrin:

Edited by pinkpanther
  • Thanks 1

I, too, moved from a Rapid to a Toledo.   Toledo = more for less, spec-wise.   Part of the 'more for less' is that Toledos come with a spare wheel as standard whereas Rapids do not (or did not in 2016).     You may find a used Rapid that has a spare as an optional extra - otherwise it's put up with a can of goo or source one after-market.   Me, I don't 'do' cans of goo.

My 1.2tsi Toledo came with 16" alloys fitted with 215/45R16 tyres.   I've always found the ride harder than on my old Rapid 1.6tdi on 15" wheels with 185/60R15 tyres.   Maybe some of this is due to lighter weight of the small petrol engine but I don't think that accounts for all of it.   Fed up with this to the point of getting quotes for a set of 15" wheels and tyres but decided against - car now 2 years old and will go within the year.

To be fair to the Toledo, whilst all of the criticisms of the 'Rapedo' are fair in terms of being a relatively budget offering, my Toledo has been 100% reliable and only ever visited the dealer for routine servicing (I wish that I could say the same for the Rapid which was a lemon).    Decision to part company later this year largely financial.   The Toledo is on a PCP and wouldn't be worth the final balloon payment if the figure was in $s.   In £s, it doesn't even need thinking about.

51 minutes ago, simon1304 said:

my Toledo has been 100% reliable and only ever visited the dealer for routine servicing

(I wish that I could say the same for the Rapid which was a lemon).   

Out of interest, as a recent buyer of a Rapid, what problems did your Rapid have?

7 minutes ago, johnh510 said:

Out of interest, as a recent buyer of a Rapid, what problems did your Rapid have?

Injector/ECU.    It was a 1.6 cr tdi (the infamous EA189 engine but I don't think that was relevant).   Kept hesitating, eventually breaking down 3 times until eventually fixed (ECU and one injector replaced on separate occasions).    All under warranty or it would have cost me a fortune.

Skoda Assist very good, including suppling a replacement car for 10 days whilst waiting for a new ECU (on back order - not one in the country [?] - guess programming the cheat software took time :angry:).    Objectively, the service from the dealer wasn't great, i.e. took too long, too many breakdowns to properly diagnose and fix.   I actually suspect that the dealer staff were doing their best but were stalled by Skoda being unwilling to supply expensive parts under warranty until software updates/re-programming had been done to death - all the while leaving me with an unreliable car.

Taking the long view, this could/can happen with any car.   I just got unlucky.    It will, however, live long in the memory as being the first car in over 40 years driving to dump me on the hard shoulder of a motorway (the M3, in the rain, not a good place to be...).

Apart from the above, it was a model of reliabilty :biggrin: