What MPG could I realistically expect?

a900ss

Hi,

I’m currently choosing a new car and I think it’ll be an Octavia Scout but I could go for a Kodiaq 2.0 TDI DSG (150). 

Can you you tell me what sort of MPG to expect on a motorway and also on A Roads?  I do hardly any city driving or short journeys so that’s not important. 

I do drive ‘swiftly’ so I’m not a 65MPH guy on the motorway and I fully appreciate that a big barge like a Kodiaq isn’t at its best on an 80MPH cruise. 

I do circa 30k a year so MPG is important. 

Thanks in advance. 

Thanks all. Anything starting with a 3 makes it a non-starter. 

I was hoping for mid 40’s as that is what I used to get from a suinilarly sized Ford S Max (admittedly it was manual). 

Edited by a900ss

I’ve got the 2.0 150PS TDI DSG 4x4. On my daily 25 mile commute, in Eco mode. I can generally get into the high 40’s, very occasionally into the 50’s. That’s on ‘fairly’ empty A and B roads with one toll bridge and a small town. :)

Edited by Bignij

Speed is everything.

Are you closer to 70mph or 80mph on the motorway?

10mph might not sound much but MPG will drop significantly with a car as big and bluff at the front as the Kodiaq.

If MPG is as important as it sounds go for the Octavia Scout, it'll be much more efficient at those speeds.

Oh, come on, taking things out of context is what the Internet was invented for. Why do you think I only quoted that one line from the post?

Anyway, my point stands - 70mph on a motorway is legal; 80mph on a motorway isn't. Fuel economy isn't the factor that should decide between those two speeds.

The number of people who buy big, heavy cars, then expect them to be both fast + fuel efficient, is mind boggling.

Some are actually more economic going a bit faster than the slower speed.   Against all science & rules of the universe.

The reason being the RPM / Gearing and the sweet spot, the cars efficient running compared to losses from going faster but the roof length and aerodynamics being just right.

Then you will always be driving into the air, but there is not always a headwind, there might be a tail wind, 

and if you get up accents efficiently you get down again.

Now there is 'Coasting Function',  and that is a game changer, because once you have the speed and the 'gears' disengaging there is momentum, 

and the vehicles weight can make a difference, so having 5 adults in a car does not automatically mean less mpg than just a driver.

Any Euro 6 Emissions Petrol or Diesel 5 seater not getting 10 miles to a litre these days after up to normal operating temperature is a pretty pathetic product from any manufacturer.

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info all. 

I’ve now decided against the Kodiaq as I think an estate is more suited to my style of driving and delivering reasonable MPG

Fully accept I could drive more economically 

7 hours ago, WiggosSideburns said:

Oh, come on, taking things out of context is what the Internet was invented for. Why do you think I only quoted that one line from the post?

Anyway, my point stands - 70mph on a motorway is legal; 80mph on a motorway isn't. Fuel economy isn't the factor that should decide between those two speeds.

Depends where the motorway is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, freedie said:

"Are you closer to 70mph or 80mph on the motorway?"

110mph is closer to 80mph...

1 hour ago, DaveMiller said:

Depends where the motorway is.

I guess... if it's round Liverpool, you really don't want to be going any slower in case your wheels get nicked.

[seriously people, if you don't appreciate (admittedly ****-poor) humour...]

On 09/02/2018 at 08:13, WiggosSideburns said:

On a racetrack, yes. On a road, no.

In a car like a Kodiaq, definitely not.

I regularly travel at speeds between 70mph and 80mph when I believe the conditions to be suitable.

MPG is important to me too, as with the OP I also cover around 30,000 miles a year and pay for my own fuel.

I like to make swift and safe progress when appropriate, regardless of the car I'm driving which requires a trade off between speed and fuel economy at times.

Whilst an Octavia Scout is likely to be far more efficient at higher speeds I'm sure a Kodiaq is every bit as capable.  

• Thanks 1

The current official consumption tests do not include any fudge factor for the total drag (cd x frontal area) of the car. It blows my mind that such a huge factor is omitted from the tests. 

Sure it would make hardly any difference to the urban results, but the extra-urban includes a bit upto 120kph so aero factors should show up there if they were included.

As a broad generalisation I've found that the claimed combined consumption for a car is a reasonable expectation of what to expect at a constant 70mph cruise.  Cars with low total drag will likely achieve/better that target and vehicles with high total drag will struggle.

What is the official drag coefficient of the Kodiaq?

Edited by Gerrycan

An Official EU Consumption test does not have a vehicle outside a building.

& the new 'real world' one will not have a passenger or a dummy to the weight of average people in the passenger seats or luggage in the boot..

http://skoda.co.uk/pages/fuel-consumption-statement.aspx 

This Irregular / Implausible Co2 g/km was not about 'Defeat Devices', 

and there were SEAT & Audi involved,  'Errors, no they were cheating 'grey areas',  no cheating the results that VW, SEAT, Audi submitted.

Vehicles were withdrawn from sale, and vehicles bought back.

It was not just the Co2 that was wrong, so the VED, it means the kidology fuel comparison as given from EU Testing.

http://autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/vw-emissions-scandal-nine-vw-vehicles-have-false-co2-ratings 

Edited by AwaoffSki

45 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

I regularly travel at speeds between 70mph and 80mph when I believe the conditions to be suitable.

MPG is important to me too, as with the OP I also cover around 30,000 miles a year and pay for my own fuel.

I like to make swift and safe progress when appropriate, regardless of the car I'm driving which requires a trade off between speed and fuel economy at times.

Whilst an Octavia Scout is likely to be far more efficient at higher speeds I'm sure a Kodiaq is every bit as capable.  

I know 80MPH is above the speed limit but when I cruise at 80, I still get plenty of people overtake me. 

Also, and not a defence, I think 70MPH is the slowest motorway speed limit of the main European countries. 

Im not justifying breaking the law by going 80MPH, I do it, I admit to it and I’ll pay the consequences if caught with no objections.  Likewise, I know I’ll get more MPG going slower. 

Back the the original question of a Kodiaq or Octavia scout and MPG, I have chosen to go the estate route. Only not the Octavia....

I’ve managed to get a spanking deal on an R Line Passat estate so that’s what I have ordered but thanks to all those who contributed and gave me information. 

On 06/02/2018 at 23:27, ZacDaMan72 said:

At best, around town I get about 37mpg with my apparent "fast and furious" driving style. On the highway easy 45mpg though 

What size Gallons do you have down there? Are they the "full fat" 4.54 litres or do you use 4 like America?

6 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

An Official EU Consumption test does not have a vehicle outside a building.

& the new 'real world' one will not have a passenger or a dummy to the weight of average people in the passenger seats or luggage in the boot..

http://skoda.co.uk/pages/fuel-consumption-statement.aspx 

Any added weight such as you suggest is a variable and it is quite reasonable to exclude any such variables from a comparative test.

The official test does take the kerb weight of the vehicle into consideration as that is a constant but the aerodynamics are also a 'constant' feature (yes I know it varies with speed) which should be included.

You said earlier that any added weight makes little difference to consumption. That is true at any constant speed on the flat but increases as a factor in stop/start traffic or hilly terrain.

• Like 1

I was taking the pith, up hills means coming back down hills, 

if you go only up and not down, then never averages out.

What were the Official Figures you were speaking about, was this EU testing or in Australia?

They could easily publish the results at full Revenue / Max Gross weight. That is if Car Manufacturers did not have EU Governments in their pockets.

Then you can publish the just above Kerb Weight results as well.     

No need to have an Harry Potter special magic and effects. 

The Manufacturers have the while testing results pre production as well, the Test Authorities do not need to publish, 

just compare. They have super dooper comuters now, smart people, IT / Software.

Just give the results, as heavy as the car  might be out on the road.

Have the figures with a trailer on as well if the vehicles has tow weights approved.

Edited by AwaoffSki

16 minutes ago, Dr Zoidberg said:

What size Gallons do you have down there? Are they the "full fat" 4.54 litres or do you use 4 like America?

Not sure. Just got those figures using an online converter from l/100km to mpg(UK)