Skoda Press Release Fabia Facelift official Details

On 02/03/2018 at 18:02, SurreyJohn said:

The launch of revised Fabia will be live on web at 08:20 cet on Tuesday 6th

https://www.skoda-storyboard.com/en/press-releases/geneva-motor-show-2018-world-premiere-concept-study-skoda-vision-x-live-online/

live stream link is at bottom of the update link above

Hopefully Skoda will post some more pictures or more details Tuesday morning after Press briefing at 07:20 - 07:35 (UK time) about revised Fabia.

Almost nothing about the Fabia.

Am I the only one to think that this new Vision-X has taken a long hard look at Citroen's Cactus range at least as far as its exterior design is concerned? (The name itself has something of an Ultravox medley to it ;) )

Yep - No major changes obvious there ... AUX input gone. Odd looking mesh effect below the USB / 12V socket. Reminds me of a 60s car with the loudspeaker (the one loudspeaker!) behind a mesh panel under the dash. 

Thanks Malcster,that answers the question.

The only thing I don't like is that the steering wheel is on the wrong side but I could get used to it I guess. :speechless:

I don't have a start button in my fabia but my civic does 

But I can't work out on the interior shots does the key go in one side and the start button on the other side of the steering column

Surely it should be keyless and the start button is in poor place 

@malcster - no - it’s Kessy - start button just replaces Key barrel - which is on right side of steering column whether LHD or RHD. 

Think screens are all a little larger - like on the Octy FL. 

Theres a new Swing + , which we’ll probably get in Ireland - it seems it can do Smartlink - the old one - like in mine - doesn’t. Don’t see any specific info on it yet. 

On ‎17‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 05:35, skodaTDI said:

Wouldn't touch them with a bargepole - all with 1.0L engines + plus a PPF.. performance will drop off even more when that thing kicks in and there won't be enough poke to get up even a modest hills with a bit of weight in the car.. oh and I see it doesn't yet mention that its likely to come with a water pump which is guaranteed to fail on you and cause your engine to overheat!!!!

Water pumps have not been failing on the tsi engines, so far only tdi engines affected.

Speculation is rife on the effects of PPF but a climb up a steep hill with weight is more likely to automatically burn off particles without the additional fuelling required by a diesel.

• Like 1

On 16/02/2018 at 19:05, skodaTDI said:

Wouldn't touch them with a bargepole - all with 1.0L engines + plus a PPF.. performance will drop off even more when that thing kicks in and there won't be enough poke to get up even a modest hills with a bit of weight in the car.. oh and I see it doesn't yet mention that its likely to come with a water pump which is guaranteed to fail on you and cause your engine to overheat!!!!

Seems to be a lot of misunderstanding here, there is no active regen cycle with a GPF, petrol exhaust gas is hot enough for it to be a near continuous process.

As it happens passively there is no need for active monitoring equipment.

The amount of poke has nothing to do with exhaust gas leaving the car, except the turbo is effectively powered by exhaust gas flow.  However the engine output is more related to its mapping.   The same capacity engine is being offered with 4 power levels, so if you want to load it up and drive up hills don’t choose the weedy engine.

In my opinion these sort of engines work best when you use the relevant rev band, the DSG box is brilliant at this.  So specify it (and you automatically get the higher power).   Yes it costs more initially but saves fuel in real world.  Auto boxes now make up 40% (and rapidly rising) of new UK cars.  

As for the water pump, wasn’t their problem with a different engine altogether so not relevant to 1 litre tsi discussion.

If you really are obsessed with diesel engines in small cars buy one soon, they will endangered species soon.  It’s not just Skoda dropping them,  the new Toyota Auris launched at Geneva also has no diesel option.

Edited by SurreyJohn
Spellchecker wrongly altered a word
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

Speculation is rife on the effects of PPF but a climb up a steep hill with weight is more likely to automatically burn off particles without the additional fuelling required by a diesel.

That's more or less exactly the claim I read in an interview with an engineer working for one of the companies making the things. Simpler conception, cheaper components and a higher normal working temperatures. All factors that should add up to less problems and lesser maintenance costs.

[DSG] costs more initially but saves fuel in real world. 

They're no longer more expensive in maintenance? That'd surprise me, just as it would surprise me if they truly give fuel savings in real life nowadays, for everyone. Even the official ratings for the current Fabia range don't reflect that.

There is no Servicing cost for a DQ200 DSG, no Oil Changes, 

unlike with 6 & 7 Wet Clutch DSG / S-Tronic at 38,000 or 40,000 miles, £179 at a Skoda UK Main Dealership.

Official Rating or EU Tests are inside in a Temperature Building on a Rolling road & as Skoda says, 

does not reflect real world.  & as we know, seldom does with real people in cars driving with luggage.

http://skoda.co.uk/pages/fuel-consumption-statement.aspx 

We will see what Official real world test results are published for Skoda produced and on sale after September 2018.

More real world, just not with maybe 5 adults, a roof box on or trailer / caravan towed.

ie Real World.   Even 2 adults, 3 children and stuff in the boot.

Edited by AwaoffSki

12 hours ago, Dithane said:

@malcster - no - it’s Kessy - start button just replaces Key barrel - which is on right side of steering column whether LHD or RHD. 

I understand that's already on the car we'll be getting 2nd half of June (estate in the "Clever" packaging, a priori not yet the new model, I think).

A start/stop button is nice, but does the absence of a barrel mean there's no longer a simple mechanical steering lock?

3 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

Official Rating or EU Tests are inside in a Temperature Building on a Rolling road & as Skoda says, 

does not reflect real world.  & as we know, seldom does with real people in cars driving with luggage.

Evidently - Peugeot have even started publishing real-world figures. Which are always higher. But the official figures are not completely worthless: they give a standardised optimum economy estimate with which you can make an educated guesstimate how different cars will compare in this domain when *you* drive them. That comparison should be pretty accurate for 2 cars that differ only in the kind of gearbox they use.

I use spritmonitor.de as a source for "real real-world" figures; average, median and variance (the l/100km figure in my signature is based on the fuelling data I record there).

Simply clever is run a Mk3 Fabia 1.0 TSI with DSG with the same engine output and one with Manual for a tank fill each and see what the same driver gets 

doing their drive / journeys.

Not difficult, dealership staff with a 'Demonstrator / Company car can easily.

Or anyone can hire a car or borrow for even a day and see.   Good MPG is easy with a DSG even for those that are inexperienced drivers.

The Official Co2 g/km / MPH or miles per km figures for 2018/19 on Euro 6 engines will be a revelation to many compared 

to the implausible / irregular / cheated results that EU testing gave.

1 hour ago, RJVB said:

Evidently - Peugeot have even started publishing real-world figures. Which are always higher. But the official figures are not completely worthless: they give a standardised optimum economy estimate with which you can make an educated guesstimate how different cars will compare in this domain when *you* drive them. That comparison should be pretty accurate for 2 cars that differ only in the kind of gearbox they use.

I use spritmonitor.de as a source for "real real-world" figures; average, median and variance (the l/100km figure in my signature is based on the fuelling data I record there).

I agree that the current official figures are not completely worthless but there are aspects of the test that are not necessarily common knowledge and devalue their worth.

A manual driver has to hold gears for specific times and change at specific speeds when following the test profile. The driver of an auto just follows the test profile and lets the auto box do its thing which can achieve relatively complimentary results. So the comparison is skewed in favour of the auto.

Another aspect is that a vehicle's aerodynamics are not part of the test configuration so the results for a car with low total aerodynamic drag will not reflect that real-life advantage over a large brick like vehicle (otherwise known as an SUV).

The effects of running an air-conditioner; electrical window heaters; or other ancillaries are not included. I suspect that a diesel test never includes a regen in the middle of the test cycle either.

Hybrid and PHEV's are always assumed to start with a full battery and since the current tests are of  relatively short duration they give very complimentary results that are just not achievable on longer distances.

The new tests are definitely more demanding but I am not sure how many of the points I've mentioned will be addressed or included. Aerodynamic performance is still not included for instance.

Of course one of the biggest real-life consumption factors is the 'nut behind the wheel' :) 

Edited by Gerrycan

Peugeot are being smart in having the Real World test results for Euro 6 Diesels that are on sale now in the UK.

Without that diesel cars First Registered after on and after April 2018 will go up a VED class.

Maybe no big deal when it can be just £20, a bit more of a deal when that is a rise from £200-£500.

This being part of the reason some Manufacturers are no longer going to be selling some diesels in the UK, and more will not be selling some current ones they offer after September.