Oil filler cap

Mark727

Hi guys, just a quick one. 

I just took the engine cover off my 2000 fabia 1.4 8v and got a bit spooked as it looks like the oil filler cap doesn't seem to fit like a conventional one i.e into the top of the engine. Is it correct to fit on the trim. 

Any thoughts  

Yes this is how the oil cap fits on the MPI. There should also be a spare cap pushed into the underside of the engine cover, which should push on to the top of the engine.

• Like 1

On 11/02/2018 at 19:43, TripleMcB said:

There is an O ring that should give a good fit around the bottom of the cap. I replaced mine as they become hard and allow times to be drawn into the car. 

https://skoda.7zap.com/en/cz/fabia/fab/2002-225/1/103-103032/

Part number 33, cost about 60pence. 

I followed the advice of TripleMcB as the cap was incredibly loose when removing the engine cover. Also, the reason I removed the plastic casing was because there were fumes coming into the cabin. Another thread somewhere pointed out that this was because of a small gap between the case and the engine. Needless to say it's all sorted now. 

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
On 13/02/2018 at 19:20, TMB said:

If you use a Felicia oil cap you can throw that usless piece of plastic adornment away.

jggff.jpg

Hi TMB: Very helpful reply/thread from 2018 (unfortunately jpg image no longer visible though). Am another person suffering with a leaky oil cap seal between the plastic engine cover and the cylinder head cover of the 1.4 MPI. Would love to ditch the plastic engine cover entirely. Which specific Felicia oil cap do you recommend, which will fit on to the cylinder head cover opening? Can you advise a part no.? Thanks!

1 minute ago, toot said:

@luckylukeWelcome.

Why can you not just ditch the plastic engine cover?

because I still need an oil filler cap and the one from the top of the plastic engine cover doesn't fit, and the one from underneath the engine cover is also rather loose. I'd like a bayonet-type cover that fits tight!

Just now, luckyluke said:

because I still need an oil filler cap and the one from the top of the plastic engine cover doesn't fit, and the one from underneath the engine cover is also rather loose. I'd like a bayonet-type cover that fits tight!

typo: bayonet-type cap

58 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

typo: bayonet-type cap

Hi Luke,

There is no bayonet fit cap. The Felicia one is push fit. If it's very loose it means the rubber seal needs renewing. The seal is part number 047103487

The oil cap is part number  047103485A (sometimes comes minus rubber seal).

This was mine....

667654.jpg

Edited by TMB

1 hour ago, toot said:

@luckylukeWelcome.

Why can you not just ditch the plastic engine cover?

On the 1.4 mpi the cover is used as part of the oil filler and has its own rubber seals because the VW type cap actually fits to the cover itself and the cover also seals to the rocker cover oil filler hole. A Felicia type oil cap is clipped to the underside of the cover in case you want to run the engine without the cover fitted as the VW one will not fit directly in the rocker cover hole. That's what you use if you want to do away with the cover altogether. Sometimes the cap is missing but they can be bought on ebay.

• Thanks 1

OK thanks again.

Any advice on a source for these parts, or OEM equivalents, in the UK? A net search throws up suppliers in mainland Europe (annoying to have to pay almost £10 postage for a £2 seal!), eg autodoc, but didn't see any stockists in UK. Any advice?

16 hours ago, luckyluke said:

OK thanks again.

Any advice on a source for these parts, or OEM equivalents, in the UK? A net search throws up suppliers in mainland Europe (annoying to have to pay almost £10 postage for a £2 seal!), eg autodoc, but didn't see any stockists in UK. Any advice?

I can't see any in the UK at the moment. I guess a Skoda dealer might be able to get one, especially as it's identical to a Felicia/Favorit 1.3 oil cap and was also used on some rear-engined models, and some VW Lupos.

Edited by TMB

1 hour ago, TMB said:

Dropped 3 years ago by Skoda, unfortunately. 

A whole new Felicia cap can be bought still from dealerships for about a tenner, 045103485A.

Presumably that would come with seal?

Edit. Hmm, seems like a bad presumption according to the red font here: Oil Cap Czech Republic 047103485A (skoda-parts.com)

Edited by Breezy_Pete

4 minutes ago, Breezy_Pete said:

Presumably that would come with seal?

Annoyingly, they sometimes come with no seal.

1 minute ago, Breezy_Pete said:

Scary delivery cost though. ☹️

Yeah, think it was the wrong one anyway so deleted.