How does it compare to the Yeti

armayeti

Hi Everyone

It's been a long time since I've been on the site as I sold my Yeti a good few years ago.  Although I now own a Fabia and an Audi A1, I will be looking to sell these next year and replace them with a single vehicle now that I have retired.  I like the look of the Karoq but my wife thinks it"s too big and would like a smaller car.  Hopefully, I can change her mind but I could always wait for the new Fabia/Rapid SUV,  whenever it's released.  My previous Yeti was the 2.0 litre SE diesel 110bhp 4x4 model and I can honestly say it's the best car I have ever owned.  I've no need for a 4x4 diesel vehicle any more so I would like some info on the 2 wheel drive petrol version.  It would be nice to know if Karoq drivers prefer them to the Yeti. 

Cheers

I've not got my Karoq yet armayeti, but I'm looking forward to it.

Congrats on your retirement by the way.

I have opted for the 1.5TSi edition with a few 'extras'.  Take the plunge and go for a test drive in one, and see if you like it enough to go for it.

Hi Armayeti, I have both sitting in the garage and although they are very much different, I love them both. Both are diesel and both 4 x 4 so it doesn't entirely answer you question. I've always loved the boxey looks of the Yeti and I've had 2, the first was the TDI 140 PS and then the TDI 150 PS and my only complaint really was the lack of space for the rear seat passengers. We ordered the Karoq a couple of days after the order book opened in October and went for the Edition  TDI 150 PS. We picked it up on launch day 11th January, and it really is a great car to drive. I think it looks the Mutts Nuts, it's comfortable  and has more teq that a 68 year old could possibly cope with (well this 68 year old anyway!) It's one let down for me is still the lack of space between the front and rear seats. It's more than in the Yeti, but still quite restrictive. As you'll see in other posts, space is not helped by the cheap and cheerful tray tables on the back of the front seats!! It's great to have both standing in the garage and not actually caring which one to take out as you think they're both great cars.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, armayeti said:

Hi Everyone

It's been a long time since I've been on the site as I sold my Yeti a good few years ago.  Although I now own a Fabia and an Audi A1, I will be looking to sell these next year and replace them with a single vehicle now that I have retired.  I like the look of the Karoq but my wife thinks it"s too big and would like a smaller car.  Hopefully, I can change her mind but I could always wait for the new Fabia/Rapid SUV,  whenever it's released.  My previous Yeti was the 2.0 litre SE diesel 110bhp 4x4 model and I can honestly say it's the best car I have ever owned.  I've no need for a 4x4 diesel vehicle any more so I would like some info on the 2 wheel drive petrol version.  It would be nice to know if Karoq drivers prefer them to the Yeti. 

Cheers

You might want to add the Seat Arona to your look list.  I'm currently looking for a Yeti replacement. My wife has a Seat Mii and although she often drives the Yeti she finds it a bit big so we're going to get rid of her car and my Yeti.  We've looked at the Arona but not driven it yet but it seems a good compromise.

I suspect the Fabia SUV will probably be the same as the Arona.

Fred

Fred,

it may also pay you to look at the Audi Q2, Same size as same car as Arona underneath. Yes it is more expensive but oozes quality and about £2K discounts available through brokers such as http://www.carfile.net/

Don't bother with the similar VW T-Roc, it's all bling.

Colin

Thanks for the update folks. 

Fred, I didn't realise the Seat Arona would be on the same floorpan as the upcoming Skoda Fabia/Rapid SUV, I thought it was the equivalent vehicle to the Skoda Kodiaq.  Obviously, I don't know the Seat range very well but I may take a trip to the local dealership and give the Arona the once over.

Colin, I've had a few Audis in my time and they have all been reliable, enjoyable vehicles.  However, I'll be looking for a for something with a mid size petrol engine with DSG and a fairly high end spec.  After adding all this up I'm afraid that the cost of theAudi A2 would probably be out of my reach. (remember I'm a poor pensioner now)

I'm in no hurry at the moment and would also like to see the VW T-Roc when it's released.  Just a pity that there is no official release date for the Fabia/Rapid SUV as I would probable stay a Skoda customer.

Macdemon and Bowdie, thanks for your comments, it's much appreciated.

Cheers for now

As an experienced retiree for the past 10 months, I can confirm that the easiest thing to get used to is not getting up at the crack of dawn to go to work. Confusion and memory are more to do with age rather than retirement!!

4 hours ago, rook said:

…if I’d known how enjoyable retirement was – I’d have done it first…!!

Totally agree but there are downsides to everything; workers get weekends off and bank holidays. To pensioners they are just another day.:crying:

Fred

On 2/15/2018 at 16:39, eribaMotters said:

Fred,

it may also pay you to look at the Audi Q2, Same size as same car as Arona underneath. Yes it is more expensive but oozes quality and about £2K discounts available through brokers such as http://www.carfile.net/

Don't bother with the similar VW T-Roc, it's all bling.

Colin

Colin I looked at the Q2 but I couldn't get anywhere my budget.

I sat in a T-Roc and got out quickly, rubbish forward vision and no headroom if the seat was pumped up to try to improve. Plus, the only DSG is the top of the range and few engine options.

Also probably going to lease this time.

On 2/15/2018 at 18:24, armayeti said:

Thanks for the update folks. 

Fred, I didn't realise the Seat Arona would be on the same floorpan as the upcoming Skoda Fabia/Rapid SUV, I thought it was the equivalent vehicle to the Skoda Kodiaq.  Obviously, I don't know the Seat range very well but I may take a trip to the local dealership and give the Arona the once over.

I'm assuming that it is the same floorpanas the proposed Fabia SUV but it's certainly not the Kodiaq, it's actually smaller than my Yeti. I think the Seat Ateca is the same as the Kodiaq.

Fred 

Ateca & Karoq are the cars on the same platform built in a Skoda factory.

As to the Fabia based SUV when it comes, Skoda are saying it is to be the new Rapid platform shared or enhanced or just a few mm different.

All much the same, small UpMiiCitio,  bigger Fabia, Polo, Ibiza with Polo having grown again, then Ateca, Karoq, Q2, what ever VW they want, 

then bigger again with Kodiaq and VW's / Audi's in various flavours. 

No lack of choice in the VW Group just now until more engines are withdrawn before September 2018 & then the choice of engine / drivetrain available from the new real world Co2 g/km testing.

• 3 weeks later...

Just ordered a Karoq to replace Yeti. Was seriously looking at the Arona before got a deal from our local Skoda dealer. The Arona is smaller but also (model for model) much lower in spec so you will need to juggle spec/ price to get an accurate comparison or if you want a specific feature.

I got rid of my Yeti L&K 2.0tdi dsg a couple of years ago and the thing I found was that the Yeti was easy to drive if that makes sense, I just felt at home in it right from the start. I have just picked up an ex-demo Karoq 2.0tdi dsg edition 4x4 and have the same experience, easy to drive and feel at home straight away if that makes sense.

Edited by Vectis

Still haven’t had the chance to have a proper look at the Karoq but I’m impressed with the images of the Skoda Vision X concept.  I realise it’s just a concept at the moment but I’m looking forward to seeing it in the flesh as the overall dimensions might be more suitable to my needs.  If it’s ready for 2019, I would give it serious consideration.

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got round to have a look at the Karoq with my wife today.  As suspected, she complained that the car was too big and wouldn't even consider taking it for a test drive.  My wife is not the most confident of drivers so I wouldn't like to see her out of her comfort zone.  It' a pity, as I was impressed with the overall design and interior refinement. 

It it now looks like the up and coming VW T-Cross or the Skoda Rapid/Fabia might be more suitable vehicles when they arrive.  The Seat Arona is also out of the question as the wife doesn't like the design of the front end!  Women!

Cheers