radio code for fabia

hetty1

I have a 2013 Fabia estate Tsi ( 85). I never thought about the radio code when I bought it but the battery is playing up a bit so my thoughts turned to the radio code"just in case".  With other  makes of cars I have owned  I have always had a card with radio code and/or it has been pencilled into the handbook by a previous owner. I looked at the radio manual and if I have read it correctly it is saying that the code is logged on the cars computer.  It also seems to be saying that if i do have a new battery fitted I am to turn the ignition first then turn the radio on and it will work. Have I understood all this correctly? I have never had a computer on a car before and am used to having things like radio codes written down so apologies if I dont seem clued up on this. Can anyone out there help with this? I have contacted the garage who sold me the car but I havent had a reply. Many thanks.

Although you can usually obtain the code from the main dealer by proving ownership, (they may make a small charge for this) Simply replacing the battery will not make you have to  re-code... The unit, on reconnection of the new or recharged battery, will say something like "SAFE" for a min or so and then will work as per usual. I don't think you even need to re-tune if you had pre-set stations.  I have removed my battery MANY times and never had to re-code. I don't even think the switching of the ignition is needed but it can't hurt! BTW, Skoda are very insistent that NO grease, vaseline, etc be used on the battery terminals. I have no idea why they say this as it has been shown to help prevent corrosion etc on the posts of many vehicles but it is what they say! I suppose a clean, dry terminal and a fresh battery should not need it! (You can actually buy a clear, laquer-like spray that seals the terminals, with a barrier coating but still, it may be best to follow the official advice).

At that cars age, a new battery is quite likely!

Edited by mrgf