DSG equipped cars. Second thermostat

scoobz

I haven't had my Yeti long but, had an issue with running cool and temp guage rarley moving. (symptoms) Running with thermostat stuck open.

A work colleague had a similar issue with a DSG equipped Golf.

He told me that DSG cars have a second thermostat in the gearbox cooling system. He suggested i start there to see if it fixes the problem before commiting to a full thermostat replacement.

20 mins and £20! sorted.

It is located on the right side of the engine as you look at it, next to the DSG oil cooler, which is under the air filter box.

141831_x800.jpg

2018-02-13 19.46.14.jpg

Screenshot_2018-02-09-17-26-48.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• john999boy changed the title to DSG equipped cars. Second thermostat
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Guys, Thank you ever so much for this post. Last Autumn, coolant temp just plummeted, fuel consumption increased, DSG gearbox got snatchy, and worse of all.... Heating was awful this winter. Changed the DSG Thermostat today...... Back to how it was the day I bough my Yeti.

• Like 2

Can anyone run through the procedure for doing this please. I understand that I will need to remove the airbox etc that is above the pipe, but can someone tell me how the thermostat is attached to the pipe please. Will I need any special tools. I don't have pipe clamps, just the usual domestic type tools. I have seen a couple of 'similar' tutorials for a Passat or others in an Eastern European tongue, but any info that someone who has done this can pass on would be gratefully received.

I feel like I am on a roll now, I changed my blower motor this morning and it has passed it's MOT. This DSG thermostat has been bugging me since January and now its almost warm enough outside to try and tackle it. My replacement thermostat arrived this morning, £13 amazon special.

Many thanks.

I am mostly looking for an explanation of how the pipes attach to the thermostat please. does anything (jubilee clips or similar) need to be bought in advance. I don't want to take it apart on the drive then have to go and source stuff :)  Thanks.

OK, I found this You Tube video most helpful in removing the Air Box, etc.

Re special tools, You will need LARGE Pliers especially the very large Hose spring clip on the airbox. If the spring clips on the hoses look really badly corroded, you may want a spare jubilee clip or 2 incase they break when you try to open them.

I found it easier to remove the Thermostat and its attached hoses as one unit off the DSG Cooler, and then undo and replace the Thermostat unit on the workbench.

Loss of fluid this way is less than a cupful. You will need to slowly prise off the hoses from the metal DSG cooler fittings, once you have moved the clips back onto the middle of the hose. I used a wide flat bladed screwdriver.

Now to the Thermostat itself.  Yes there are many available at different prices, and that is because they all have different Temperature opening settings. You tend to find that the cheaper units have a lower opening Temp, as they are for other VAG models, that require different opening Temps in the DSG cooler. 

For the DSG on the Yeti, you want an opening Temp of 75.C not any lower, Else Consumption, smoothness of gear change, etc will be effected, 

• Like 2

@Volor You are an absolute star, thank you for this.  

I am going to Scotland this afternoon so I will try this job next week. Younger me would have tried to do it today and then end up in a panic over getting up North. Age has its benefits some times.

Thanks again, I will let you know how I get on.

Cheers.

Oh yeah, don't forget to put the protective rubber guard back on new thermostat, and note coolant flow indicator on old and new thermostat. 

Like u in my younger days would have dived in. I set aside a day for it and completed in 3 hours as I really took my time. Realistically should be about a 1 hour job.

Obviously do this with cold engine, and do NOT take off the    Coolant tank lid, this will stop the coolant flowing out when u remove thermostat and hose assembly off DSG cooler.

• Love it! 1

Ok so I have tackled this job today.

Pretty straight forward, but those modern day jubilee clips (hose spring clip) are a pain in the behind!

Car now warms up quicker and maintains temperature. I lost about 1/2 litre of coolant overall as I didn't have any pipe clamps. Defo 

I will keep my eye on it for a few days, and check the coolant level just to make sure.

Overall, very pleased with myself. Thank you to everyone above who took the time to write some advice for me, its much appreciated. Special shout out to @Volor for his information.

Next job EGR valve on Friday, but I am letting a professional do that! Hopefully after that job I will be back to trouble free motoring again.

Edited by Gremlin170
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Blue103TDIDSG, seems you have moved your post. From experience if the DSG thermostat is working properly, engine should be up to temp within 2/3 miles. If DSG thermostat is faulty If you go freewheeling (nice long hill is useful) you will see the gauge drop even in warm ambient temp. Final check is you should see an oil temp of at least 80, after only a few miles. If it takes a long while and requires vigorous driving to get the oil temp to 90, again suggest it is the DSG Thermostat and not main Thermostat.

Hope this helps.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Guys, my Yeti is suffering exactly the same issues and after seeing these posts went out and purchased a replacement thermostat (75c one), only issue is I'm not mechanically minded and don't have the best of health right now so don't have confidence to do the fix myself so will need to speak to my local garage, I'm assuming it's a straight forward job for a garage to do considering I'm going to supply them with the part?? 

Thanks in advance for any advice

A good independent should be willing to fit parts supplied by yourself, just don’t expect warranty on the part once fitted. Find an independent used to working on VW group vehicles. 

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Many thanks for this post. Replaced it today in my Skoda Yeti 2015 (2 Ltr CFHC engine).  Works perfectly, 19 Euro.  To my surprise my local VW main dealer said he never sold this  parts (1K0 121 113A) previously.

• Like 2