Ski hatch handle - its come off!

20 hours ago, penguin17 said:

**UPDATE** 

Part (whole assembly) has arrived with the dealer.  Car is booked in for the 19th June, approx 1hr workshop time. 

That's good news.  I took mine to another dealership group and they were happy to do the fix under warranty.  It was like a night(mare) and day experience between the two dealerships with the first flatly refusing even to make the effort to submit it for a warranty claim.    I also have a problem with the 'Boot Net Programme', ie the boot elastic nets which seem to have manufacturing defect and be unravelling.   The good dealership said they'd replace them FoC.   Excellent service even though they know I hadn't purchased the car from them.

On 6/7/2018 at 12:10, penguin17 said:

**UPDATE** 

Part (whole assembly) has arrived with the dealer.  Car is booked in for the 19th June, approx 1hr workshop time. 

I had mine replaced under warranty yesterday by Lookers in Harrogate.  No fuss and great service - Much better than the other local alternative... 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Had the ski hatch assembly replaced today; I had to cancel my previous booking.  All done under warranty and the replacement handle seems more positive/solid.  Time will tell...

It took less than 1 hr of workshop time. 

31 minutes ago, Ferdinand2000 said:

So one lesson here is to test it firmly before accepting the car !

Or better still, “oh what’s that behind the armrest? Please show me how it works”

:clap:

• 1 year later...

I had this too, took it to Hortons Lincoln today who said not a manufacturer defect, £219 to fix.  I have called UK customer care and logged a complaint.  My previous 5 skodas never had this problem and the service guy suggested i had snapped it off.  I had a similar warranty experiance with Hortons on my vrs which had a wiring loom problem, they tried to say thag wasnt a warranty issue either.  Thats to name just 2 incidents with this dealership.... 

• 2 weeks later...

***Update***

Hortons and Skoda UK are both washing there hands of this, apparently the handle falling of the inside of the car is "wear and tear".

Next stop is a bunch of flyers stood outside the dealership letting potential customers know what both Hortons and Skoda UK think of a loyal customer who has purchase 5 cars from them in the last 8 years....

8 minutes ago, AndyBNotts said:

***Update***

Hortons and Skoda UK are both washing there hands of this, apparently the handle falling of the inside of the car is "wear and tear".

Next stop is a bunch of flyers stood outside the dealership letting potential customers know what both Hortons and Skoda UK think of a loyal customer who has purchase 5 cars from them in the last 8 years....

Shocking treatment by the dealer and Skoda UK considering plenty of folk on here have had that part replaced under warranty free of charge. Yet to try mine to see if it breaks or is actually broken by the previous owner.

I know I can open it from the boot, but the boot is SO BIG you have to climb in or be Mr Tickle 🙂

I am seeing the funny side, but their attitude has pretty much made me decide not to buy another Skoda, which is a real shame.

• Sad 1

I did ask Skoda UK where in the warranty T&C it says an interior handle is not covered and is a "wear and tear" item.

They said, the retailer decides if it's warranty or not and she wouldn't discuss the matter further, I have asked for it to be escalated up through Skoda UK and to VAG group if necessary.

I might just go to small claims court in the end, not fit for purpose me thinks.....  Who needs this hassle though.

• 1 month later...
On 12/02/2020 at 13:53, AndyBNotts said:

I did ask Skoda UK where in the warranty T&C it says an interior handle is not covered and is a "wear and tear" item.

They said, the retailer decides if it's warranty or not and she wouldn't discuss the matter further, I have asked for it to be escalated up through Skoda UK and to VAG group if necessary.

I might just go to small claims court in the end, not fit for purpose me thinks.....  Who needs this hassle though.

I always thought the Manufactures decided what was/was not a warranty claim, not the retailer.

A lot of the reasons for refusing warranty is that the dealer gets a fraction of the labour costs for warranty work paid by Skoda so it's not worth their time doing warranty work.

1 minute ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

I always thought the Manufactures decided what was/was not a warranty claim, not the retailer.

A lot of the reasons for refusing warranty is that the dealer gets a fraction of the labour costs for warranty work paid by Skoda so it's not worth their time doing warranty work.

On this point, Skoda UK said that each dealer has a trained Warranty Manager and the decision is there's, not Skoda UK...

TBH it's shocking that this isn't being covered.  The dealer I took mine to looked at the fault and took less than 2 seconds to say "warranty job, we'll book it in".  It's not an isolated case and it's not wear and tear.  It's a handle...it has one job to do, if it's breaking then by definition it's not fit for purpose.  Mine literally came off in my hand the first time I used it. 

11 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

TBH it's shocking that this isn't being covered.  The dealer I took mine to looked at the fault and took less than 2 seconds to say "warranty job, we'll book it in".  It's not an isolated case and it's not wear and tear.  It's a handle...it has one job to do, if it's breaking then by definition it's not fit for purpose.  Mine literally came off in my hand the first time I used it. 

Likewise, I pulled mine no more than the force I would use on the door handle and it was off.

Anyway, Hortons have made it clear they no longer want my business, in fact they have told me to never book my car in there again.

I hope that Rainworth in Mansfield look after me well and that they restore my faith in the Skoda Brand.

Edited by AndyBNotts
Spelling :-)

7 minutes ago, AndyBNotts said:

Likewise, I pulled mine no more than the force I would use on the door handle and it was off.

Anyway, Hortons have made it clear they no longer want my business, in fact they have told me to never book my car in there again.

I hope that Rainworth in Mansfield look after me well and that they restore my faith in the Skoda Brand.

Standard Horton. I bought an Octavia from them in 2008. Only one key handed over and I was assured there are two, it will be forwarded. The key never materialised, they wouldn’t supply/code a new one and then just stopped communicating at all. 

I think that the problem with the majority of Škoda dealers is that there’s often only 1 per town/city and they know that they will retain custom out of convenience rather than good service.  

Good luck at Rainworth. 

On 03/03/2018 at 11:50, jonesinamillion said:

Not a warranty issue apparently. The little hinge mounts do indeed push in... I've pushed the other one in too :sweat: 

Need to get it off & opened up but no obvious ways to access it. Otherwise parts are £100 + vat + labour 

I had mine done under warranty no hassle Waterford Ireland local Skoda Dealer

• 1 month later...

Hi fellows

I have exactly the same problem.

I have a Superb 2.0 TDI from June 2018.

My opening lever of the long cargo channel on the back seat just fell off. I have the handle and a spring.

I complain with the dealer and they say it is not warranty. Asked me 100 euro for material plus cost of work.
Does anyone know if it is easy to repair at home?
Does anyone have a breakdown picture of the central armrest?

IMG_20200429_172623.jpg

18 hours ago, DeltaMike said:

Hi fellows

I have exactly the same problem.

I have a Superb 2.0 TDI from June 2018.

My opening lever of the long cargo channel on the back seat just fell off. I have the handle and a spring.

I complain with the dealer and they say it is not warranty. Asked me 100 euro for material plus cost of work.
Does anyone know if it is easy to repair at home?
Does anyone have a breakdown picture of the central armrest?

IMG_20200429_172623.jpg

I suggest you phone Skoda Customer care.

They may be more amenable.

• 2 months later...

Another one here, I wish I had looked on briskoda before even bothering to go to my dealer ! 

"advised as the system is broken we are unable to claim this as a warrantable item"  cost for repair £645.58 

I am waiting for them to approach Skoda UK  to see what can be done, I am not impressed at all and I am on the point of vowing never to go near a Skoda ever again. 

17 minutes ago, Superbstu said:

Another one here, I wish I had looked on briskoda before even bothering to go to my dealer ! 

"advised as the system is broken we are unable to claim this as a warrantable item"  cost for repair £645.58 

I am waiting for them to approach Skoda UK  to see what can be done, I am not impressed at all and I am on the point of vowing never to go near a Skoda ever again. 

It is unbelivable that being a manufactiring problem, they don't assume it and simply repair it under warranty.
This is not good advertising for Skoda.

I have wasted more time and energy than I care to recall on this and have decided to just move on.

I have owned 6 Skodas in total and this will be the last VAG car I own.....

Apparently, that part of the car is a "wear and tear item", WTF...

As advised your vehicle does not fall in the warranty guidelines to have this replaced as your vehicle is an 18 plate. This would only be covered for 6 months or 6,000miles.

If you wish to get this repaired it would not be covered by the warranty.

Kind regards

Is***** M****
Customer Relations Manager
0114 4503304
ŠKODA UK | Selectapost 34 | Sheffield | S97 3FA
Tel:  0333 0037504  

Edited by AndyBNotts

Andy can I ask if have you approached The Motor Ombudsman ? 

Frankly I am shocked the level of customer service with this and another issue I have on a Octavia (DSG lever sensor error) 

I'm with you after many years of VAG ownership I have had enough.