Radiator fan switch????

georgiedavids1006

Hi, i was wondering if someone could help. Ive got a 2006 Fabia 1.4 16v ambiente. Today i noticed whilst looking at the front of the car a few spots of liquid on the floor, to the right side as u look.

i thought it was maybe where the car was iced up and melted, but checked throughout the day, finding nothing.

when i turned a corner later in the day to park, i noticed small drops of liquid again, following the curve i of me swinging round the corner that i had driven, then when i parked i noticed 1 small drop on the floor.

at first i thought maybe it was coming from the washer bottle, but after taking a closer look, it was a few inches away, but still on the right side of the car if looking at the front.

i had a look underneath and it seems all these little drops are collecting on the plastic cover thats attatched under the car, so im assuming when i came round the corner, the collected liquid just laying on the surface of the plastic slid off.

it is a very minimal leak it seems and ive heard and read that the most probable cause withh be a leak from the radiator fan switch, as Skoda never used washers.

ive also heard that this is the place to find answers and help cos u are the kings and Queens of the Skoda!

Am i on the right track with this leak? 

Many thanks in advance.

You might well be on the right track. Try tightening the thermoswitch a bit. If it will move without huge effort you may well cure the leak for free.

29mm open-ended or ring spanner: or deep socket. For either of the last two options you'll have to disconnect the loom plug first.

Thank u very much Wino, much appreciated. Ive also read somewhere that a good thing to do is use a bit of ptfe tape on the thread, but then u risk losing all your coolent i spose unless u bung the hole up. I’ll have a go on Monday and let u know how i get on.

There's a nice flat brass surface on the thermoswitch, and a nice flat plastic surface on the radiator, just need to snug them up a bit. 35Nm rings a bell fir the official torque figure, so no need to go crazy on it. Both our cars required something like an eighth of a turn to fix.

Edited by Wino