New to me superb, got a couple of questions.

Hi everyone. 

Ive been sorta stalking the forums for a week or so now and you guys seem very knowledgable and this forum seems like a great community. 

Ive just picked up a 2016 superb se l exec. Already love it quite a lot. So much car for the money and it’s a lovely place to be. 

Its got the 19” Sirius alloys but I like the way the car rides, will be on pot hole watch though. 

Got a couple of questions. The glove box lid on mine isn’t damped it just falls open when you press the button. Is this right or wrong? 

Also in the boot boot on the right hand side is a little compartment with a first aid kit symbol. But I have no first aid kit. Is this an optional extra or should it be there?

apart from that it seems like a nice car. There are a couple of stone chips I will get addressed and annoyingly there is a chip in the wi decrees I did t notice in the test drive so I need to get the garage to sort that out. 

Look forward to any answers.

thanks

adrian

Ye', there is no dampers on the glove of, nor can it accommodate as much as you'd think from looking at it. Anything more than vehicle documents and a couple of cd cases and you'll struggle to get it to close properly.

Also in regard to the 'first aid' logo on the boot compartment, it's there for a first aid kit but U.K. cars don't come with them supplied as standard and is an item you can buy from Skoda or procure from eBay or similar to your own requirements. 

I have a 2017 (MY2018) SEL Executive, the first aid kit compartment doesn't have a first aid kit in it as it's a UK spec car. The glovebox on my car is damped, to the point I wish it would hurry up and open when I'm in a rush!

It’s very easy for the little gear cog that does the damping to fall out of its housing when changing a fuse. If it’s not there the runner will have no resistance.

Lower the glove box by pushing the two rubber locators/stops along the top and see if the runner is located properly or if the cog has gone.

LHD video:

Spot on alan_p the cog is missing I thought something was not present when I pulled it down earlier to have a look cause you could see a little bit of grease. 

I have found the part number if I need it but hopefully I can get Skoda to do it for me. 

I have a another small problem. The drivers side vanity mirror light does not work. I tried the unit from the passenger side that does work and still no joy so looks like something is  amiss here as well. 

Still, I’m not letting these little niggles upset me because it’s a lovely car. I sat in the back earlier. The rear leg room is ridiculously huge. 

Just been out to check, mine is. Got confused with cleaning a few neighbours cars, got mine mixed up. But still, ye', not a big glove box compared to the Mk2 we had before it. 

It could be the switch at the mirror or the positional one at the visor mount… or even a dodgy wire/connector somewhere else. Probably best to just check for a blown fuse unless you want to start stripping stuff before the dealer visit.

27 minutes ago, Itsrelfy said:

Spot on alan_p the cog is missing I thought something was not present when I pulled it down earlier to have a look cause you could see a little bit of grease. 

I have found the part number if I need it but hopefully I can get Skoda to do it for me. 

I have a another small problem. The drivers side vanity mirror light does not work. I tried the unit from the passenger side that does work and still no joy so looks like something is  amiss here as well. 

Still, I’m not letting these little niggles upset me because it’s a lovely car. I sat in the back earlier. The rear leg room is ridiculously huge. 

When I first drove my car away from the dealer, the glove box came open and SWMBO couldn't get it to stay shut.  After our first stop, I gave it a firm push and its been OK ever since.  Maybe something was obstructing it as, per comments above, it's not very big and holds less than you think it will.

13 hours ago, Itsrelfy said:

It’s more plucking my eye brows at night I’m concerned about. 

Ah yes - I think you need Smart (vanity) Light Assist for that. Sadly my car does not have that feature;)

I bought a small first aid kit from Boots to put in the cubby hole. As others have said it isn't legally required in the UK, so it isn't supplied with the car.

23 hours ago, Itsrelfy said:

Got a couple of questions. The glove box lid on mine isn’t damped it just falls open when you press the button. Is this right or wrong? 

Also in the boot boot on the right hand side is a little compartment with a first aid kit symbol. But I have no first aid kit. Is this an optional extra or should it be there?

The plastic cog can be tricky to refit, so I can see why it has been left out, look in the ‘ashtrays’, cubby hole under the light switch and centre armrest etc to see if it has been placed in there for safe keeping!

22 hours ago, Itsrelfy said:

I’ll have to wait and see who else comments. Maybe again some countries have it and some don’t. Can’t see why though. 

Thanks for replying. 

Simply because they are not a legal requirement in the UK

19 hours ago, Itsrelfy said:

The mirror cover has to be open and the visor needs to not be pushed all the way to the windscreen for the light to be open (if you can see your face in the mirror then the light should come on)

Just an update. The drivers side vanity mirror light does work. It was the visor being in the wrong position it was pushed all the way back. 

So so it’s just the glovebox to get sorted. 

On 24/02/2018 at 16:08, Itsrelfy said:

Aren't the illuminated vanity mirrors optional on the SE L ? 

EDIT:  No cost option according to SUK configurator. 

Edited by penguin17