Swapping the puddle lights for LED bulbs - quick question on CAN BUS

Hi all,

One of my puddle light bulbs in the wing mirror is out, so I thought I would swap them for LED's (something which I have never done before).

From what I understand I do not need CANBUS friendly LED's in the puddle lights.  However, as they were pretty much the same price, I just bought a few from ebay which are CANBUS friendly.  

I then read something saying that you shouldn't use CANBUS friendly LEDs somewhere that doesn't require them to be CANBUS friendly, as it can mess with other stuff.

Is this true?  Do I need to worry about using CANBUS friendly LED's in the puddle lights?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I just have no knowledge of using LED's in cars so need to start learning!

The puddle lights are monitored and if they fail or aren't CAN bus friend;y, you'll get an error code stored in the door controller. However, there is no bulb warning light or any other sign the fault code exists so it can be ignored.

The problem with CAN bus friendly LEDs is that most just have a resistor across the two pins. At best, this will waste power, at worse they have been known to overheat and melt bulb holders or even desolder components!

Given that, I'd suggest you use a pair of decent quality LEDs and ignore the CAN bus friendly side.

Ok,, im starting to understand.

So the resistor will 'waste' power, but this will be equivalent amount of power as the existing filament bulb right?

And the the fact that the puddle lights are only on for 10-20 seconds max, the chance of them overheating is extremely low right?

So going forward, probably best not to use them anywhere where they would be left on for a decent length of time as they might overheat.

Correct, the resistor wastes power trying to emulate a filament bulb. The amount of power it'll waste depends how well designed it is, if it's remotely competent, then using them as puddle lights should be pretty safe.

I'd definitely agree with that, don't use inexpensive CAN bus friendly bulbs with anything that's on permanently :)

Just on similar topic, anybody recommend a decent set of number plate leds? Bright white ones that don't fuse within a month Have tried numerous ones and I'm back yellow dull bulbs again lol take the look off the car.

• 6 months later...
On 28/02/2018 at 20:53, Cryonut said:

I have led bulbs in my puddle lights with no issues, much brighter and better colour than the old bulbs, just make sure the leds aren't  to long.

Hi - re puddle lights - am just reading through interesting posts .

Have Octy 2 Elegance Estate with folding mirrors equipped with puddle lights ( tho sometimes you'd never know !!).

Car is not with me at the mo. to check - but can't recollect seeing how to gain access should either or both bulbs need replacing.  User Manual doesn't refer to them or list bulb type.

Can you recall how you did it ?

Many thanx in anticipation

regards

4 minutes ago, Long in the tooth said:

Car is not with me at the mo. to check - but can't recollect seeing how to gain access should either or both bulbs need replacing.  User Manual doesn't refer to them

I think you can probably get to them by just removing the mirror glass. From there, there is a rubber bulb holder that should pull out with the bulb in it :)

On 01/03/2018 at 08:02, langers2k said:

I use something similar to these on my FL: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202146804776

I coded them in and didn't bother with the included LEDs.

I used these for a year no issues, plug and play - I didn't re code just used as was. I'd recommend them.

1 hour ago, langers2k said:

I think you can probably get to them by just removing the mirror glass. From there, there is a rubber bulb holder that should pull out with the bulb in it :)

Exactly right, just be careful though as when I went to remove mine (to sell car) I broke the mirror glass on one side - irritating as when I originally fitted I had no issue at all and removed both in one piece.  Patience and YouTube vids are your friend.  

Bulb is a 501 iirc.  If you go LED bulb as opposed to a module look for good quality as you don't want to be swapping them often as they are a pain.  I've got some 501 LED in my interior lights and they have been in 4 months - all 4 have failed or dropped some LED's now.